The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Diesel Oil Specification Thread (B57 Engines)

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
For those still reading along, there is some info posted at this link that seems to be oil compatibility for BMW engines. Scroll through the first pdf to find the B57 and B58 engines. Product info for the various BMW Long Life (LL) specs in the other docs. Info seems to be copyright of BMW so I haven't attached anything here.
For B57 diesel, LL12 or LL19 seems to be the go.

Link

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
For those still reading along, there is some info posted at this link that seems to be oil compatibility for BMW engines. Scroll through the first pdf to find the B57 and B58 engines. Product info for the various BMW Long Life (LL) specs in the other docs. Info seems to be copyright of BMW so I haven't attached anything here.
For B57 diesel, LL12 or LL19 seems to be the go.

Link
Thanks for posting @Clark Kent , most useful even if a lot of the brands are not common in Oz. Now I wonder if anyone can tell what variant of the B57 engine is fitted to the grenadier.

cheers
Steve

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:20 PM
Reaction score
Replaced oil yesterday watch out the starter cable is LIVE quite a flash when 17 mm spanner made contact between sump drain plug and cable now has tape on it.
can you get a picture of said wire. will be changing mine in 500. what oil did you use?

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
can you get a picture of said wire. will be changing mine in 500. what oil did you use?
Starter. The positive cable attaches to a small busbar which is live. It's about one metric hand-width away from the sump plug and at the same height. I suggest using a socket and extension to avoid any excitement.
Thanks to @CountyV8 for conducting the test ;)

Attachments

• PXL_20231019_225947048~2.jpg
    PXL_20231019_225947048~2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20231019_230647753~2.jpg
    PXL_20231019_230647753~2.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 69

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Starter. The positive cable attaches to a small busbar which is live. It's about one metric hand-width away from the sump plug and at the same height. I suggest using a socket and extension to avoid any excitement.
Thumbs up for the metric hand !!!! Usually equates to 12cm ahahahha ( at least mine does )

Joking aside having changed the oil twice now , with a shallow socket and a ratchet i cannot see how this could happen . But i guess everything is possible , need to keep it in mind for next time .

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thumbs up for the metric hand !!!! Usually equates to 12cm ahahahha ( at least mine does )

Joking aside having changed the oil twice now , with a shallow socket and a ratchet i cannot see how this could happen . But i guess everything is possible , need to keep it in mind for next time .
We would all have 'how could that possibly happen?' stories. Couple of years ago one of my team leaders was driving home from work around midnight in his mid-90s tray back Toyota Hilux. He had left a 5000lb ratchet strap inside an open box up against the headboard. The little swirly vortex behind the headboard at 100km/h (62mph) was enough to pull the tail of the strap out of the box snake-charmer style. About halfway into his trip the tail made it's way down between the headboard and the cab and err.. made love, with the spinning driveshaft. I can advise that the force required to remove a Hilux driveshaft laterally is less than 5000lbs working load. The strap pulled through the gap but the ratchet body didn't. All happened quickly and with violence.

Disappointing. I hope Toyota have improved their driveshafts since.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
thank you very much 👍

Local time
6:50 AM
Reaction score
We would all have 'how could that possibly happen?' stories. Couple of years ago one of my team leaders was driving home from work around midnight in his mid-90s tray back Toyota Hilux. He had left a 5000lb ratchet strap inside an open box up against the headboard. The little swirly vortex behind the headboard at 100km/h (62mph) was enough to pull the tail of the strap out of the box snake-charmer style. About halfway into his trip the tail made it's way down between the headboard and the cab and err.. made love, with the spinning driveshaft. I can advise that the force required to remove a Hilux driveshaft laterally is less than 5000lbs working load. The strap pulled through the gap but the ratchet body didn't. All happened quickly and with violence.

Disappointing. I hope Toyota have improved their driveshafts since.
50lb would be disappointing, 500lb maybe, but 5000lb, that is about 2 tonne that would probably break a MAN truck tail shaft laterally.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
50lb would be disappointing, 500lb maybe, but 5000lb, that is about 2 tonne that would probably break a MAN truck tail shaft laterally.
Yeah that last bit was definitely tongue in cheek @Steve.B My guy Jake fairly crapped himself when it happened. He was lucky the shaft pulled up under the tray or it could have flipped him over.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
Being a recessed plug, i'd say you'd have to

Local time
Reaction score
I don't have Metric hands was under the car and lust picked up a 17mm ring spanner and flash thought it may be insulated anyway won't happen again as have installed a Valvomax stainless steel oil drain valve so will not need to use a wrench again.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't have Metric hands was under the car and lust picked up a 17mm ring spanner and flash thought it may be insulated anyway won't happen again as have installed a Valvomax stainless steel oil drain valve so will not need to use a wrench again.
That's a good option. I have had a Fumoto drain valve on my Isuzu DMax for 10 years. Very convenient if you do frequent oil changes. No tools required.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I usually run stahlbus valves on all of mine, but decided against this on the Gren . The position of the drain plug is essentially the lowest point . I did not want to extend it further and stick out like a nipple.

I know that the ball bearing sits inside the pan technically but decided against it.
Tell us how you get on with it.

In my Nissan patrol the drain plug is more or less horizontal to the ground and there is a big bash plate in between so i had no real fear getting one on there and with oil changes every 3k miles it has paid itself 10 times over just in time saved .

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do you happen to know which valvomax is suitable for the grenadier b57?

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:20 PM
Reaction score
Do you happen to know which valvomax is suitable for the grenadier b57?
I would also be interested what Valvomax fits correctly for the Diesel and whether it all works straightforwardly

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So after asking my dealer for the exact specification of the Shell oil they intended to use for my B57 oil change and not getting very far I went direct to Shell technical department and had a long exchange with one of their employees. This is the last message from Shell:

qte
Great that you found something absolutely clear on the car.

So for a gasoline engine we would have product in our portfolio because the BMW LL-17FE+ approval is covered by our Shell Helix Ultra ECT C5 0W-20.
Unfortunately we don’t have a Shell Helix product with the BMW LL-12FE approval for the diesel engine.
In most cases this job can be done by a product with the BMW LL-04 approval (f.e Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W-30). But I would not recommend this in your case during warranty time.

Don’t worry about the ACEA specification – the BMW specification is more accurate and you should stick to it.

unqte
The reference to 'great that you found......' refers to the plaque on the underside of my bonnet referencing BMW LL-12FE. I'd previously referenced 19FE as mentioned by my dealer 'We will be using Shell helix ultra ECT 0W-30 LL19FE spec for the diesel' and went down the C2/C3 rabbit hole.

Shell's response to that was;

qte

We do have a lot of different engine oils which fulfill different specifications and approvals.
For example the Shell Helix Ultra Professional AJ-L 0W-30 was especially developed for Jaguar/LandRover and Ford with approvals for these manufacturers.

The recommended product you are looking for is called Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W-30.
And even though the formulation of the product hasn’t changed it does not have the BMW LL19FE approval anymore.

Unfortunately your car is not yet available in our system.
As far as we know the Ineos Grenadier marketed in July 2022 is powered by a BMW 3liter, 6-cylinder engine.
Maybe you can let us know what else – beside the Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W-30 is mentioned in the manual so we can check what is the best product for your car.

I hope this information is helpful for you.

unqte

Anyhow will try and get green light from agent/IA customer service but looks like Valvoline could be the one.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So after asking my dealer for the exact specification of the Shell oil they intended to use for my B57 oil change and not getting very far I went direct to Shell technical department and had a long exchange with one of their employees. This is the last message from Shell:

qte
Great that you found something absolutely clear on the car.

So for a gasoline engine we would have product in our portfolio because the BMW LL-17FE+ approval is covered by our Shell Helix Ultra ECT C5 0W-20.
Unfortunately we don’t have a Shell Helix product with the BMW LL-12FE approval for the diesel engine.
In most cases this job can be done by a product with the BMW LL-04 approval (f.e Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W-30). But I would not recommend this in your case during warranty time.

Don’t worry about the ACEA specification – the BMW specification is more accurate and you should stick to it.

unqte
The reference to 'great that you found......' refers to the plaque on the underside of my bonnet referencing BMW LL-12FE. I'd previously referenced 19FE as mentioned by my dealer 'We will be using Shell helix ultra ECT 0W-30 LL19FE spec for the diesel' and went down the C2/C3 rabbit hole.

Shell's response to that was;

qte

We do have a lot of different engine oils which fulfill different specifications and approvals.
For example the Shell Helix Ultra Professional AJ-L 0W-30 was especially developed for Jaguar/LandRover and Ford with approvals for these manufacturers.

The recommended product you are looking for is called Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W-30.
And even though the formulation of the product hasn’t changed it does not have the BMW LL19FE approval anymore.

Unfortunately your car is not yet available in our system.
As far as we know the Ineos Grenadier marketed in July 2022 is powered by a BMW 3liter, 6-cylinder engine.
Maybe you can let us know what else – beside the Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W-30 is mentioned in the manual so we can check what is the best product for your car.

I hope this information is helpful for you.

unqte

Anyhow will try and get green light from agent/IA customer service but looks like Valvoline could be the one.
Good research this .
But as you say in the absence of the factory fill i think the valvoline my dealer provided and i Used is the safest bet for now .
I would had preferred castrol but dealer provided the valvoline so i am running with it for now .

Good luck with the oil change .

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good research this .
But as you say in the absence of the factory fill i think the valvoline my dealer provided and i Used is the safest bet for now .
I would had preferred castrol but dealer provided the valvoline so i am running with it for now .

Good luck with the oil change .
Tks Tinki.

Opie Oils has20pct off today so I've got 3x 5L of Valvoline 0w-30 for £112 delivered.

Might have to buy a single litre somewhere for the 2nd change if it takes more than your 7.1l but should be good.

Back
Top Bottom