The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Auxiliary Lights in the Grill - High Power LED light upgrade without any cutting (now available on the Forum Store)

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
1:08 AM
Reaction score
Hand raisers orders will ship out tomorrow, then the online ordering system will be live. There’s a few left from people who bailed so I will have stock of the Exzeit and KC brackets.

I’ll update when live. For international orders please contact for delivery options.

Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
Will the third option from Clearwater be available soon???

BenTN

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:08 AM
Reaction score
Im late to the party and the Exzeit brackets are now showing as sold out. Will there be a second production run?

We have had a bunch more already made, so they can be packaged up and ready to ship quickly.

And yes there will be additional production runs as needed, based on demand.

BenTN

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Will the third option from Clearwater be available soon???

Hard to predict the timing on that. Clearwater is working on a specific config for the Grenadier so we are in regular contact with them, but so far no ETA.

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:08 PM
Reaction score
I replaced my auxialiary lights with the Agile Offroad Bajas (could not wait due to trip) as I have a roo bar and approx 48 bolts removed and 47 replaced...5 hour job. Awesome lights though.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
For any international orders, the shipping is coming in as cumulative. Message me and you'll get a refund back to your original payment for the extra shipping.

For instance if you order the light shrouds and the brackets the software is calculating it as 2 shipments instead of 1.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score

Kujo

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:08 AM
Reaction score
Like many others I was disappointed in the stock aux. lights in the grill of my Grenadier. I'm sure there were various regulations that limited what could legally be mounted there from the factory, but the light output is just pointless. I don't think I would ever use them, especially with the hassle of putting the car in offroad mode first (I'm in North America).

I decided to find a way to mount a modern high-power pair of LEDs in the stock location, without the need to do any cutting of the grill. I've seen a few kits out there but they all have hefty price tags and require cutting. I don't want to hack up the front end of my car if I don't have to.

Turns out the aux. lights installed at the factory are a PAR46 style lamp, which is a standard 5.75in diameter light housing size. The Grenadier lights are a 7.4Watt lamp, which is literally 10% the power of many modern LED pod lights. No wonder they are useless. There are a million aftermarket headlights available in this PAR46 size, and plenty of them are LED. However the Grenadier aux lights feature a unique triple mount boss in the rear that snaps into some grommets in the grill buckets (plastic dish behind the lamps). There does not seem to be any other light available that will mount in this same way.

I considered fashioning a bracket that would secure a modern PAR46 lamp in there, but ultimately decided that I didn't really want a redundant set of headlights on the car. I wanted something more powerful like a off-road pod light. The problem is that 5in (127mm) is a slightly unusual size for round pod lights.

After way too much time searching I found a good candidate in a 5in round pod light rated 80W per lamp with a combo (spot + flood) lens. These rugged lights include wiring, nice sealed connectors, and relay as part of the package, all for an unbelievable $80 on Amazon. Note that this pair of lights draws >13 amps, so the standard ceiling-mounted 10 amp upfitter switches will not work directly, requiring a relay in the circuit to switch the high current.

After some measuring and CAD work, I created the sheetmetal bracket design shown in the pics attached here. This bracket secures the light pods at their designed attachment/aiming points, and bolts directly into the holes that mounted the original aux lights in the Grenadier grill bucket. No cutting required. Best of all the original bezel fits around these lights and attaches right back into place. The final result looks like it could have come from the factory, in my opinion.

View attachment 7848899

In use these lights are bright AF. They provide the overwhelming light intensity I was looking for and switching them on from the ceiling-mounted 25 amp switch makes me feel like a helicopter pilot every time. They don't seem to generate a worrisome amount of heat.

The lights I used: Exzeit "LML-5064B"

I want to make a few more tweaks to the bracket design, then I will probably have a batch made. I plan to send a few sets out for people to try.

These lights are an amazing value, but honestly I was hoping to find a good light pod from a well-known quality brand like KC HiLites or Baja Designs or Diode Dynamics. Maybe someone can do some research and find one that fits the criteria:
- 5 inch (127mm) outside diameter or a little less
- 3 in (76mm) total depth or less would be nice
- mount bosses near rear of light (not protruding from bottom)
- 120 Watts or more power rating is ideal

I hope to find another light model (or two) to design brackets for. If people don't mind losing the round bezel around the lights then there are lots of options that will work. There are some downsides to that, though.

If there is sufficient interest we might talk Stu into running a batch of these mounts and offering kits to forum members through the forum store.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score

Riversides

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Having received the Exzeit lights and brackets ( thanks to Stu_Barnes) in the last few days, today was installation day. As I'm in the UK, the aux lights are activated via the overhead switch and power up on full beam. I decided that any install of replacement aux lights would need to replicate this. The Exzeits had to be ordered via Amazon US but were delivered for a very reasonable £89GBP all in. Compared to the stock aux lights they are great quality, well built, and come with clear and amber lens covers which are easily clipped into place. The Exzeits also come with a good quality wiring harness, with power fuse and the relay all wired up ready to go. This made the install relatively easy from a wiring point of view.
First step was tilting the grill forward as per the video instructions. It is important to remember where the various screws come from for reassembly so I took some pictures along the way in case of any brain fade. The stock lights are held in by the 3 prong rubber grommets. Unfortunately I managed to break some of the fixings on the stock lights pulling them out but as I wont be going back to stock its okay.
The Grenadier Works brackets and fitments are absolutely spot on and everyting assembles together perfectly.
So, to the wiring. Looking at the front of the vehicle, I just taped up the right hand original aux connector and tie wrapped it out of the way. As all my electrical connections were to remain on the left side, I snipped the stock left hand side aux light connector off and retained the blue and white wire as my signal wire to go to the relay. The Exzeit kit is supplied with an on/off switch to install in the cab, but as i will be using the overhead switch and full beam as the trigger I removed the connector and connected the remaining wires as follows:

Screen Shot 2024-08-04 at 19.11.37.png

The lights are powered from the following locations on the left side of the engine bay. I didnt make any further alterations to the wiring harness and the relay is just bolted to the side using an existing bolt and a new nut. There's loads of excess cable, but I just tie wrapped it up and tucked it away. I might get round to tidying that up later.

Screen Shot 2024-08-04 at 19.18.53.png

With everything working as it should, I bolted the grill back and thankfully didn't break or lose anything in the process.
Screen Shot 2024-08-04 at 19.26.27.png

Screen Shot 2024-08-04 at 19.26.51.png

Screen Shot 2024-08-04 at 19.26.39.png

So in summary, I'm extremely happy with the brackets and lights. Given the very reasonable cost and the improvement over the stock lights, I would rate it as my best modification to date. Thanks again to all involved in the design and initial testing!

BenTN

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Having received the Exzeit lights and brackets ( thanks to Stu_Barnes) in the last few days, today was installation day. ...
The Grenadier Works brackets and fitments are absolutely spot on and everyting assembles together perfectly. ...

View attachment 7865854

So in summary, I'm extremely happy with the brackets and lights. Given the very reasonable cost and the improvement over the stock lights, I would rate it as my best modification to date. Thanks again to all involved in the design and initial testing!

This makes me so happy. Really glad the install worked out smoothly for you - the end result looks great.

I hope people realize what a genuine community effort this has been and how many people contributed. The "Grenadier Works" logo on the forum store was created to capture the output of these community efforts and allow a way to distribute solutions to everyone. This is an unusual thing in this age; true grassroots collaboration supporting an international group. I hope we can keep it going and even expand it.

Riversides

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
This makes me so happy. Really glad the install worked out smoothly for you - the end result looks great.

I hope people realize what a genuine community effort this has been and how many people contributed. The "Grenadier Works" logo on the forum store was created to capture the output of these community efforts and allow a way to distribute solutions to everyone. This is an unusual thing in this age; true grassroots collaboration supporting an international group. I hope we can keep it going and even expand it.
Excellent work BenTN and everyone else involved. I’m really impressed with my Grenadier - a community effort such as this to bring worthwhile solutions to owners makes it even better!

Back
Top Bottom