The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Anyone else considering returning their Ineos Grenadier?

Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
You gotta love the coconut crab!

2A17E5D2-A4C8-4852-81F8-45BE6907F000.jpeg

Stephen Whittaker

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
Regardless of whether problems with the Grenadier are tolerable or not, it would be helpful if Ineos had the courage to acknowledge known faults so that patient and potentially loyal customers don't feel ignored. My 1 month old Fieldmaster diesel has the following snags:
Door seal - drivers door releases a flood of water after heavy rain.
Transfer box lever failed as a small pin fell out which prevents the collar from being lifted to move the lever. I put it back and wrapped insulating tape around the lever. Diff locks - centre diff fails to disengage, I have driven 100s of metres trying to release. Brakes failed and went spongy within 5000 Kms, new discs and pads are on order. Seat belt warning comes on intermittently. Music on CarPlay is too loud or too quiet with little range to control it. Off road mode often says unavailable. Rear 12v socket does not work. Headlights come on during the day and sometimes do not come on in low light conditions. Winch doesn't work if you get out of car and back in. Diff locks unavailable in high range but low range is often too lowly geared for slippery conditions. Winch doesn't work in Park. Rear camera doesn't work in Off road mode. Rear camera offset is a frustrating for hitching up to trailers and image is too small. Microphone in phone calls is too quiet. I could go on.
I want to love this vehicle and with good communication from Ineos we could feel like participants in improving the vehicle but so far I am seeing Ineos burying their head.
Most Grenadier customers will work with Ineos as long as Ineos don't pretend that all is okay. There is nothing worse than a dealer suggesting that 'your' issue or problem is a first when you know that others have reported the same things. I'd suggest that Ineos publish a list of known faults that they have either solved with the new software update or are aware of and are looking for a solution. As customers we could relax if we know problems are being worked on.
This is an amazing vehicle considering that it is brand new but I keep jumping back in my 2014 Land Cruiser or Defender if I need to be sure.
Come on Ineos, be brave and engage with your customers - you'll find it will pay dividends in the future.

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Regardless of whether problems with the Grenadier are tolerable or not, it would be helpful if Ineos had the courage to acknowledge known faults so that patient and potentially loyal customers don't feel ignored. My 1 month old Fieldmaster diesel has the following snags:
Transfer box lever failed as a small pin fell out which prevents the collar from being lifted to move the lever. I put it back and wrapped insulating tape around the lever. Diff locks - centre diff fails to disengage, I have driven 100s of metres trying to release. Brakes failed and went spongy within 5000 Kms, new discs and pads are on order. Seat belt warning comes on intermittently. Music on CarPlay is too loud or too quiet with little range to control it. Off road mode often says unavailable. Rear 12v socket does not work. Headlights come on during the day and sometimes do not come on in low light conditions. Winch doesn't work if you get out of car and back in. Diff locks unavailable in high range but low range is often too lowly geared for slippery conditions. Winch doesn't work in Park. Rear camera doesn't work in Off road mode. Rear camera offset is a frustrating for hitching up to trailers and image is too small. Microphone in phone calls is too quiet. I could go on.
I want to love this vehicle and with good communication from Ineos we could feel like participants in improving the vehicle but so far I am seeing Ineos burying their head.
Most Grenadier customers will work with Ineos as long as Ineos don't pretend that all is okay. There is nothing worse than a dealer suggesting that 'your' issue or problem is a first when you know that others have reported the same things. I'd suggest that Ineos publish a list of known faults that they have either solved with the new software update or are aware of and are looking for a solution. As customers we could relax if we know problems are being worked on.
This is an amazing vehicle considering that it is brand new but I keep jumping back in my 2014 Land Cruiser or Defender if I need to be sure.
Come on Ineos, be brave and engage with your customers - you'll find it will pay dividends in the future.
Yes, Ineos should acknowledge the issues. We’ve a passenger door water issue, the pin on the transfer lever fell out during handover, the retail partner had seen it happen before. I’ll try the winch tomorrow.
The camera is what it is, the mounting position seems to be difficult but is driven by the spare wheel mounting.
I’ll try off road mode tomorrow.
I suspect the software update will sort out most issues.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
Lots of problems sadly.
As to the diff locks as far as I am aware they were never meant to work except in low range with centre diff locked.
You can do up to 80kmh or 50mph in low range

1695491585048.png

Stephen Whittaker

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The diff lock is needed in high range because although low range is fast enough it is too lowly geared to ease out of trouble with torque not power. How often did we get out of trouble in a defender by using 2nd high at tick-over. If you could force use of a higher gear in Manual mode this would help.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The diff lock is needed in high range because although low range is fast enough it is too lowly geared to ease out of trouble with torque not power. How often did we get out of trouble in a defender by using 2nd high at tick-over. If you could force use of a higher gear in Manual mode this would help.
You can force a gear
In manual it holds the gear
So select low locked 3rd-5th for the same result.
Or lock your rear and front diffs as well.

Stephen Whittaker

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Tom, How do you select 5th low when starting off? Automatic transmission in Manual only allows you to force a low gear not a high one. For example you could not force the car to start off in low 4th. The best I have managed is low 3rd when already moving. If you know a way to absolutely pick a gear like a true manual please let me know.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Tom, How do you select 5th low when starting off? Automatic transmission in Manual only allows you to force a low gear not a high one. For example you could not force the car to start off in low 4th. The best I have managed is low 3rd when already moving. If you know a way to absolutely pick a gear like a true manual please let me know.
7:10 in he pulls away from a stand still in 3rd low
I did it myself on a test drive.
Which manual 4wd are you pulling away from a stand still in 5th gear?
5th is usually an overdrive gear on a manual even if it has 6 gears, which is very rare on a 4wd.
Maybe you are doing something wrong?
Can you post a picture of your Grenadier?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTgupbbRfog

Local time
Reaction score
The V8 Defender is almost double the price of a Grenadier in Australia.
You won't see many in the outback!

I would expect not, you'd be off your head to buy a vehicle that does 15mpg out there.
Better off with the diesel. Much cheaper to buy and 40+mpg on a run.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
Not only that but there are a lot of places where petrol/gasoline is not available/allowed at all.

View attachment 7827779
Just pop a couple of jerrys into the designated holders on your caravan.
You have to sleep somewhere , unless you are a masochist who loves driving 15 hours a day

CB

Local time
5:16 AM
Reaction score
More than a million miles of testing in multiple vehicles and none of these issues/problems surfaced! What concerns me is they continue to deliver vehicles with the same problems/issues leaving it to the agents/dealers to sort them out.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
More than a million miles of testing in multiple vehicles and none of these issues/problems surfaced! What concerns me is they continue to deliver vehicles with the same problems/issues leaving it to the agents/dealers to sort them out.
A million miles testing for the vehicle body, suspension, chassis and drivetrain - yes but I doubt there were ever any significant miles of testing for CarPlay or puddle lights. I never saw a working example of CarPlay in any of the PT vehicles I test drove so this was ALWAYS going to be a wait and see feature. Most (but not all) of the issues people are griping about are software or convenience systems that sit on top of the basic vehicle. Phone volume, cameras, warning chimes for seatbelts etc are not things that really benefit from any length of testing. They just need to be properly installed and programmed. Water ingress issues people have reported are also all related to safari window or door seals or drain hole blockages. The "boot wash" feature is also not actually water ingress into the vehicle, but an easily corrected issue with the fitting of the outer door seal, which I checked and did myself at the dealership when I collected my vehicle. It's nothing major.

Some of the actual mechanical or configuration complaints like fuel capacity or method of diff-lock operation are about design, not faults. Very very few non-software or convenience issues I've seen reported here are actual mechanical or structural faults. Power steering pumps, dodgy pins in transfer box selectors, leaking A/C hoses or condensate drains etc. are a few examples of real manufacturing defects. But we have a poll here and so far of 140 responses, 120 have been minor or no problems at all. Pretty remarkable for a first generation vehicle from a new manufacturer in my opinion.

Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not only that but there are a lot of places where petrol/gasoline is not available/allowed at all.

View attachment 7827779
That must be a very old picture. I’ve traveled that route a couple of times in a petrol V8 landcruiser.
Opal fuel is now available in almost all places, certainly in all of the roadhouses, and even in highly remote communities.

For those that don’t know, Opal fuel is by my understanding an unleaded fuel with a special additive that prevents people from sniffing it and getting high - something that can kill you, and a major problem in local indigenous communities for a long time.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just pop a couple of jerrys into the designated holders on your caravan.
You have to sleep somewhere , unless you are a masochist who loves driving 15 hours a day
Not encouraged. We stayed overnight at Warburton in central WA because we wanted a shower after a week and a half without one, and the worst of the locals jumped the fence during the night and were spiking the petrol tanks on the chance of getting unleaded fuel frome vehicles before they were filled with Opal. A jerry on a rack would be gone in a blink in many places if you weren’t careful.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That must be a very old picture. I’ve traveled that route a couple of times in a petrol V8 landcruiser.
Opal fuel is now available in almost all places, certainly in all of the roadhouses, and even in highly remote communities.

For those that don’t know, Opal fuel is by my understanding an unleaded fuel with a special additive that prevents people from sniffing it and getting high - something that can kill you, and a major problem in local indigenous communities for a long time.
I didn't take the picture so not sure of the age.
Been 10 years since I lived and worked in WA and back then we standardised on diesel because it was available everywhere, including customer/mine sites.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
Not encouraged. We stayed overnight at Warburton in central WA because we wanted a shower after a week and a half without one, and the worst of the locals jumped the fence during the night and were spiking the petrol tanks on the chance of getting unleaded fuel frome vehicles before they were filled with Opal. A jerry on a rack would be gone in a blink in many places if you weren’t careful.
Our newly ordered hybrid has a lockable storage box for the gas cylinders +/- fuel cans.
Your as likely to get "trouble" in the backblocks of Tassy as much as the big island above it.
In any case , one day we'll get an extra underbody petrol tank, should we perceive the need. There is room for it.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Our newly ordered hybrid has a lockable storage box for the gas cylinders +/- fuel cans.
Your as likely to get "trouble" in the backblocks of Tassy as much as the big island above it.
In any case , one day we'll get an extra underbody petrol tank, should we perceive the need. There is room for it.
What did you order again Tazzie?

Back
Top Bottom