The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

AC / heat in rear seat

John Acosta

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:16 AM
Reaction score
I have been trying this since I read Leerroy's post a few weeks ago, and the HVAC system has been working reliably, ie without the rear furnace, so there maybe something to it!

In addition, other systems, like the start/stop, have also been much more consistent with what I would expect, and I haven't had the cooling fans screaming at full speed either.

There was once when I didn't follow 'Leerroy's start-up procedure' (yes, that's its name), and the rear vents started blowing hot, but after pulling over and starting up with the procedure, all vents were blowing cold again.

It would be great if others who are having the rear furnace problem give this a go to see how consistent it is and let us know on the forum here.

With more feedback and data, Ineos may actually be able to work out what is happening and eventually develop a fix.
Thanks a million! I will try this today…
Frustrating how we have to perform these work arounds.

Local time
Reaction score
I made it 24 hours and 52 miles into ownership and have the full furnace effect in the rear vents and cool ( but not cold) air in front. Letting it sit and will try the previously mentioned start up procedure. Already called the dealer.

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:16 PM
Reaction score
I hadn't seen this thread before or I would have responded earlier: I had the same problem and had my Grenadier shipped to the dealer twice, they were not able to solve it. Eventually through trial and error I found a work-around that avoids the issue.

You are now a pilot - you have a pre-departure and pre-shutdown procedure you must follow, here it is:

1) Before starting the Grenadier confirm:
All three HVAC dials are turned completely counter clockwise (i.e. fan off, full cold, front vents selected).
Turn the ignition one click (i.e. before the turning the engine)
Allow all the warning lights to go off (one or two will remain, but essentially you are letting the computer wake up and do its self-checks before turning over the engine).
Now start the engine.
Make sure the a/c compressor is on
Don't use the auto function
Adjust the fan and temp and vent selectors to preference

2) Before shutdown:
Return all three HVAC dials to the full counter clockwise position.

If the problem happens again (it has for me a few times when I forgot step 2), go to step 2 and then shut down the engine. Before going back to step 1, leave the ignition fully off for at least 3 and a half minutes (that is how long it takes the computer to fully shut down).

Doing this has been 100% successful in avoiding and correcting the problem.
So I have tried this for a week and it absolutely 100% works for me. However it is a pain in the ass to remember to do each time and my better half thinks I'm some kind of obsessive nut case so it's a temporary fix at best :)(y)

Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
So I have tried this for a week and it absolutely 100% works for me. However it is a pain in the ass to remember to do each time and my better half thinks I'm some kind of obsessive nut case so it's a temporary fix at best :)(y)
How long of a drive have you done, to verify it’s not just short term fix? I have many people say the ac stopped working an hour into the drive

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
I hear you, my wife complains about it non-stop.

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
How long of a drive have you done, to verify it’s not just short term fix? I have many people say the ac stopped working an hour into the drive
I've used this now for about 8000 miles, I've not had a single time where the problem started again when I remembered to shut-down and start up using this (and I avoided using the auto function). I've had the problem return several times when I forgot to shut down with this procedure. But then doing a shutdown, waiting +3.5minutes and restarting with the procedure has solved the issue.

BD1

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:16 PM
Reaction score
For what it is worth I have never experienced this AC issue (fortunately). I also don't us Auto. I tried it initially but did not like the air flow management. So no Auto since first drive.

Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
I've used this now for about 8000 miles, I've not had a single time where the problem started again when I remembered to shut-down and start up using this (and I avoided using the auto function). I've had the problem return several times when I forgot to shut down with this procedure. But then doing a shutdown, waiting +3.5minutes and restarting with the procedure has solved the issue.
So is this a software issue or also a Freon issue? I have also heard some vehicles have low Freon… are there multiple contributors to this poor ac performance or are people simply throwing the kitchen sink at this problem?

Degenerate

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:16 PM
Reaction score
Hello, I had this HVAC issue (middling ac in front and blast-furnace in the back) in April and May with my granny delivered in mid January. I couldn't identify what was triggering it our how to stop it. First time it happened I rang the dealer and it was the first time they had heard of it, it had stopped so I did not bring it in. Second time it happened I drove straight to the dealer's service dept and left it running so they would see what it was doing. Thankfully another owner had reported having the problem and they know what to do. The fix was to replace the electronically actuated valve that allows hot engine coolant to flow through the cabin air heat exchangers. No issues since. I think there is a strong likelihood this can be considered part of the electronics and wiring harness problems the vehicle has endured. While at service, I requested they complete the trailer wiring harness fix (that had lingered since delivery). Shockingly, I was informed that the fix fried the infotainment head unit, and regularly does so. So it sat for another month awaiting a new head unit. Everything seems to be working now, but I haven't put many miles on it so cant be 100% confident...

Local time
Reaction score
Just to update the situation. I let the truck sit for two hours while receiving and infusion and then restarted it using the preflight checklist method previously mentioned and every thing was back to normal. I think that this is 100% a firmware issue. Ineos really needs to get us a fix for this. I thought that the rear vents might actually melt down from the hot air.

Back
Top Bottom