The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

AC / heat in rear seat

scubadds

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
Still happening, A/C on with heat like a heatgun coming out of rear vents and a mix in the defrots vents....
Its really not tolerable in the summer heat

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:20 PM
Reaction score
I think I have now seen the same issue. Warm air coming out of the front vents. Turn off AC button for a minute and back on, after a few minutes I get cold air again. Going to have my dealer check it out.

cdlucas

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
When I took possession of my GRENADIER about a month ago, after stopping for some dinner the HVAC blew hot air out the rear vents and semi cold out the front. I immediately returned to the dealer, the next morning the dealer said it was now working normally and they relayed this ¨glitch¨ that seemed to be solved by some downtime for the system as most of you have experienced. I haven’t had it happen again since however another issue I experience is windshield fogging on the exterior of the glass during warm humid weather here in Kentucky. It seems to occur because with the AC on, some cold air comes out of the windshield defrost vents and cools the windshield below the dew point and causes the condensation. The wipers clear it fine but it requires an intermittent wipe of the windshield to keep it clear. Has anyone else experienced this?

Phred

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It seems to occur because with the AC on, some cold air comes out of the windshield defrost vents and cools the windshield below the dew point and causes the condensation. The wipers clear it fine but it requires an intermittent wipe of the windshield to keep it clear. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes, I have experienced the same.

If vent selector is set to feet and dash, some air comes out window defrost. BUT, if vent selector is set to just dash, nothing seems to come out defrost.

Odd for sure…

cdlucas

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I have experienced the same.

If vent selector is set to feet and dash, some air comes out window defrost. BUT, if vent selector is set to just dash, nothing seems to come out defrost.

Odd for sure…
Thanks Phred, mine is set to dash only but I will play with it a bit to see if it helps. I think overall the dampers and control system need some upgrades.

scubadds

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I called Atlanta dealer to see if a bigger dealer may have "fixed" the issue previously.
He said a new heater box is needed; it is a sensor in the heater box and it only comes with heater box; 9 hour job
He said it fixed the clients car, he has 3 more to do; I figured I would wait a bit and see if it resolves their issue before I put my car on the operating table
For those trying to help, this is more than giving directions on how to set or use the A/C; there is a known issue at this point

DCBNA

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just adding to the thread to document my experience. I’ve had the same thing happen to me today for the first time with 5,000 miles on my truck. I got in my car this morning and the a/c seemed to be blowing warm. I keep the Auto button off because it is rubbish. I had the temperature on the coldest setting and the fan on 1. The air was blowing warm the entire trip. I decided to try to use the Auto function to see if that did anything. The only thing it did was make the air blowing through the vents not as hot. It felt about what the ambient air temperature was outside. I got home and left the car running, ran in and got my thermometer.

Here is what I found:
Outside vehicle: 76.8 degrees

Auto Setting blowing through front vents:
Driver Side Front: 80.7
Passenger Side Front: 75
Center Vent Driver: 77.3
Center Vent Passenger: 71.6
Rear Vent Driver: 132.0
Rear Vent Passenger: 139.4

Auto turned off, fan turned up all the way on the lowest temperature setting:
Driver Side Front: 89.9
Passenger Side Front: 86.3
Center Vent Driver: 106.5
Center Vent Passenger: 99.1
Rear Vent Driver: 176.3
Rear Vent Passenger: 167.0

Not the most scientific test but you get the idea.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@scubadds @DCBNA - I experienced similar hot air issues. It persisted for 2-days despite downtime, locking and unlocking. Third day was cooler and I drove windows-down, HVAC fan off. Later that same day I tried the AC and it has worked since (for about one week). I’m keeping the above posts to share with my dealer to hopefully be resolved at my next service.

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I thought Ineos had found a fix for this issue. I had read a dealer in Atlanta was installing a new heater box and that had resolved the issue due to a bad controller in the box. I told my dealer about it and they had not heard that but they also didn’t ask Ineos or submit a ticket explaining the issue I have. They replaced a leaking AC hose but that wasn’t the problem as I still get intermittent hot air out the front vents and extremely hot air out the back vents. Most of the time it works great and blows cold.

ScotteW

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So the only work around I have regarding this issue of hot rear vents and Luke warm front vents is to close the rear vents and put the AC into auto mode. Then I get cool air in the front and hope I am not traveling with rear passengers. After cycling the engine off for a few minutes cures the problem for awhile. I have an appointment with the dealership here and hopefully they can fix it permanently.

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So the only work around I have regarding this issue of hot rear vents and Luke warm front vents is to close the rear vents and put the AC into auto mode. Then I get cool air in the front and hope I am not traveling with rear passengers. After cycling the engine off for a few minutes cures the problem for awhile. I have an appointment with the dealership here and hopefully they can fix it permanently.
I hope your dealer can fix it. Mine had no idea and handed the vehicle back and said they would get back to me. It’s been a few weeks. I don’t think there is a permanent fix yet.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:20 PM
Reaction score
Replacing the heater boxes doesn’t work. Replacing the micro filter doesn’t work. I’ve had both replaced and it’s still the same. Hot and cold air from different vents, high frequency noise (I think it’s called sine wave) from fan 4 (under load) and occasional aircon condensation drip into the footwell caused by the hot and cold vent blowing together.

The problem is the actuators/flaps (ducting sensor). They are stuck inbetween two airflow positions with both hot and cold air.

From the what I’ve researched the units are made in Korea from a company called one gene electronics (I think maybe belonging to Hyundai).

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@Skydance - Thanks for the update. Very disappointing. I’ve had a few consecutive days of the heat/AC issue, the speed-4 frequency noise, and condensation drips on the driver floor mat.

Wonder if we can just put Bowden cables on the flaps at some point?

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:20 PM
Reaction score
I hadn't seen this thread before or I would have responded earlier: I had the same problem and had my Grenadier shipped to the dealer twice, they were not able to solve it. Eventually through trial and error I found a work-around that avoids the issue.

You are now a pilot - you have a pre-departure and pre-shutdown procedure you must follow, here it is:

1) Before starting the Grenadier confirm:
All three HVAC dials are turned completely counter clockwise (i.e. fan off, full cold, front vents selected).
Turn the ignition one click (i.e. before the turning the engine)
Allow all the warning lights to go off (one or two will remain, but essentially you are letting the computer wake up and do its self-checks before turning over the engine).
Now start the engine.
Make sure the a/c compressor is on
Don't use the auto function
Adjust the fan and temp and vent selectors to preference

2) Before shutdown:
Return all three HVAC dials to the full counter clockwise position.

If the problem happens again (it has for me a few times when I forgot step 2), go to step 2 and then shut down the engine. Before going back to step 1, leave the ignition fully off for at least 3 and a half minutes (that is how long it takes the computer to fully shut down).

Doing this has been 100% successful in avoiding and correcting the problem.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just found this thread. Very informative too.
I’m experiencing the classic cool(ish) front vents, counteracted by the furnace hot rear vents, which are so hot, they’ve turned the cubby box into an oven. Great for pies, not so for my chocolate stash!

Hambach factory forgot to gas my aircon system from the start, so I didn’t discover the problem until I first used the cooling setting nine months after buying the truck.

It’s now booked in to my supplier for Sept 9th where they’ll determine for themselves what the issue is.
Tomorrow, I’ll forward this thread to them to save them valuable workshop time, as well as the opportunity to order the required parts that appear to be part (but maybe not all) of the problem.

John Acosta

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Had our Grenadier 4 months now, air con has now failed 42 times now with exact same problem.
It randomly decides to open heat flap resulting in piping hot air to back vents and a mix of aircon and hot air to the front. No adjustments resolve it. The only resolution in to stop the car , switch off, lock walk away for 20 minutes and come back. Mostly it works, but sometimes it stays the same.
Brisbane dealer says waiting on new aircon hose., so far 2 months---
Seems more like a software issue applying heat flap.
Has anyone had the same issue? If so, has it been rectified.
With ambient temps in Queensland 27 to 35 deg the vehicle is sometimes undrivable.

I’ve had the same issues even after the dealer replaced a hose they stated was loose. Just very frustrating how a new car company can deliver a car with such issues especially after all the hype around driving the car a million miles in extreme conditions throughout the world. I’m in Southern California! Great weather state! Maybe that is the problem. I should move to an undesirable location. Excuse me if I sound put off but I’m just a little frustrated these days. I also have to literally slam the rear doors to get the sensor to stop coming on telling me that the doors are open. There are a few other gremlins lurking around.

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve had the same issues even after the dealer replaced a hose they stated was loose. Just very frustrating how a new car company can deliver a car with such issues especially after all the hype around driving the car a million miles in extreme conditions throughout the world. I’m in Southern California! Great weather state! Maybe that is the problem. I should move to an undesirable location. Excuse me if I sound put off but I’m just a little frustrated these days. I also have to literally slam the rear doors to get the sensor to stop coming on telling me that the doors are open. There are a few other gremlins lurking around.
I took mine to the dealer for the same issue of hot air out the back vents and warm out the front when the AC is on. It happens a few times a week. The dealer replaced what they said was a leaky hose and that the problem was fixed. I told them that wasn’t going to do the trick and sure enough the next day it was blowing hot again. They said they drove it and found no problem. If it happens again during the day I’m driving straight to the dealer and won’t let them turn it off so they can see how jacked up the HVAC system is. It’s beyond frustrating.

John Acosta

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I took mine to the dealer for the same issue of hot air out the back vents and warm out the front when the AC is on. It happens a few times a week. The dealer replaced what they said was a leaky hose and that the problem was fixed. I told them that wasn’t going to do the trick and sure enough the next day it was blowing hot again. They said they drove it and found no problem. If it happens again during the day I’m driving straight to the dealer and won’t let them turn it off so they can see how jacked up the HVAC system is. It’s beyond frustrating.
I bet there are many more of us that are experiencing this problem considering that the cars are sold in relatively low numbers I’m surprised we are hearing as many issues. Maybe I should have followed my gut and waited till all these bugs were worked out ! Very frustrating!
Ineos is going to have issues if this continues…

tnkatoy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I hadn't seen this thread before or I would have responded earlier: I had the same problem and had my Grenadier shipped to the dealer twice, they were not able to solve it. Eventually through trial and error I found a work-around that avoids the issue.

You are now a pilot - you have a pre-departure and pre-shutdown procedure you must follow, here it is:

All three HVAC dials are turned completely counter clockwise (i.e. fan off, full cold, front vents selected).
Allow all the warning lights to go off (one or two will remain, but essentially you are letting the computer wake up and do its self-checks before turning over the engine).
Now start the engine.

2) Before shutdown:

If the problem happens again (it has for me a few times when I forgot step 2), go to step 2 and then shut down the engine. Before going back to step 1, leave the ignition fully off for at least 3 and a half minutes (that is how long it takes the computer to fully shut down).

I have been trying this since I read Leerroy's post a few weeks ago, and the HVAC system has been working reliably, ie without the rear furnace, so there maybe something to it!

In addition, other systems, like the start/stop, have also been much more consistent with what I would expect, and I haven't had the cooling fans screaming at full speed either.

There was once when I didn't follow 'Leerroy's start-up procedure' (yes, that's its name), and the rear vents started blowing hot, but after pulling over and starting up with the procedure, all vents were blowing cold again.

It would be great if others who are having the rear furnace problem give this a go to see how consistent it is and let us know on the forum here.

With more feedback and data, Ineos may actually be able to work out what is happening and eventually develop a fix.

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Now start the engine.

2) Before shutdown:

I'll try this process this week and report back. I have the A/C on 'heat' most of the time as I'm in Scotland, but the system seems incapable of blowing hot air out of the selected vents without also blowing cool air from some place else.

Back
Top Bottom