The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

2024 ADAS Issue and Work Around (USA)

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
The ADAS doesn’t bother me at all. Super easy to turn off via the favorites. But the lane departure is horrible. I picked up my truck Thursday and immediately drove some skinny little Colorado roads from Colorado Springs to Durango. The stupid lane departure went off a million times. If you turn it off a very bright orange light right in front of the wheel. Very annoying. Actually thinking of getting a tint to cover my “trophy case” as my daughter calls it.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:26 PM
Reaction score
The ADAS doesn’t bother me at all. Super easy to turn off via the favorites. But the lane departure is horrible. I picked up my truck Thursday and immediately drove some skinny little Colorado roads from Colorado Springs to Durango. The stupid lane departure went off a million times. If you turn it off a very bright orange light right in front of the wheel. Very annoying. Actually thinking of getting a tint to cover my “trophy case” as my daughter calls it.
I've already ordered a tint for my trophy case.
Drives me crazy (pun intended) to have a light illuminated to inform me that my headlights are illuminated!!!
Not separately dimmable and the green light telltales are annoyingly bright at night.
That screed should be dark, no lights illuminated; unless something is amiss.

The straw was the blinding (OK some hyperbole) glare reflecting off the shiny piano black surround of the trophy case when the sun strikes just right.
I ordered some matte headlight vinyl to try out.
Might put it on the rest of the piano black, if it looks good on the trophy case.

offender110

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:26 PM
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it would make sense for everyone to hit up BimmerCode and ask them to support the car. They make an iPhone app that allows you to program BMWs and those with BMW drivetrains (eg Mini or Supra). I’ve coded numerous BMWs to resolve things like auto-start-stop and other annoying issues.

I sent an email to them earlier today at info@bimmercode.app.

Here’s their website: https://bimmercode.app/

GTank

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Nothing against the dealers but it's really important that they know they are losing sales if the manufacturer doesn't address the issue.
I agree on Lane Departure being an issue!

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it would make sense for everyone to hit up BimmerCode and ask them to support the car. They make an iPhone app that allows you to program BMWs and those with BMW drivetrains (eg Mini or Supra). I’ve coded numerous BMWs to resolve things like auto-start-stop and other annoying issues.

GTank
Perfect issue for them to address! Thank you.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wish that one or more of the dealer pincipals that visit and contribute to this forum would inform us what the Ineos corporate resonse is to this problem.
"Problem" is a funny word, because technically, this isn't a problem; it is a system working in the way that it was intended and designed to work.

There are a group of people who dislike the method in how the system works, so I guess you could call that the problem.

To be blunt, I'm not a fan of ADAS, but I've grown accustomed to a few buttons each time I start the car in all of our recent vehicles, and am completely content waiting 6+ months for an aftermarket solution instead of bombarding Ineos to "fix" a problem that exists with us as drivers, not with the vehicle. I'd rather they spend that time ironing out any other kinks that arise.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

GTank
I've reached out over a week ago and no response yet.

Local time
Reaction score
There is no requirement in the USA, at this point anyway. If it was a real requirement, even in the UK, then you shouldn't be able to turn it off at all. As soon as a 2024 Land Rover, any other vehicle for that matter, comes out, I will go test drive it and see what its feature set is.
Dodge Ram has the 2025 models advertised and ADAS is still listed as OPTIONAL. ADAS is mandated in Europe and where not only does the the system alert when you exceed the speed limit, it automatically slows the vehicle to the speed limit unless overridden by depressing the accelerator further; it also mandates pre-wiring for planned future inclusion of breathalyzer interlock on all vehicles. In the US, the legislative emphasis on ADAS that is currently being discussed is aimed at autonomous vehicles, such as Teslas. My dealer told me Ineos never warned them about ADAS being on the '24 models (the demos are '23 and without ADAS) and subsequently told them that ADAS was a DOT/NHSTSA requirement. So, was Ineos Incompetent by not knowing ADAS isn't required in the US, or did they make a financial decision not to develop separate for the US (a relatively small part of their total market) and then lied to the dealers, hoping US buyers would simply accept the answer. Add ADAS to the trailer hitch fiasco which has no time frame for resolution - and since they aren't charging for tow hitch, you can't say much if your still waiting for a fix 6 months or a year from now. Incompetent or deceitful, either way, do trust them enough to give them $92,000.00 and hope for the best?

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
Dodge Ram has the 2025 models advertised and ADAS is still listed as OPTIONAL. ADAS is mandated in Europe and where not only does the the system alert when you exceed the speed limit, it automatically slows the vehicle to the speed limit unless overridden by depressing the accelerator further; it also mandates pre-wiring for planned future inclusion of breathalyzer interlock on all vehicles. In the US, the legislative emphasis on ADAS that is currently being discussed is aimed at autonomous vehicles, such as Teslas. My dealer told me Ineos never warned them about ADAS being on the '24 models (the demos are '23 and without ADAS) and subsequently told them that ADAS was a DOT/NHSTSA requirement. So, was Ineos Incompetent by not knowing ADAS isn't required in the US, or did they make a financial decision not to develop separate for the US (a relatively small part of their total market) and then lied to the dealers, hoping US buyers would simply accept the answer. Add ADAS to the trailer hitch fiasco which has no time frame for resolution - and since they aren't charging for tow hitch, you can't say much if your still waiting for a fix 6 months or a year from now. Incompetent or deceitful, either way, do trust them enough to give them $92,000.00 and hope for the best?
Sir Jim and team have already said that their biggest market for the G is the US - PERIOD. I have no idea what to believe or whom to believe other than my IG is sitting at the dealer and I'm picking it up on Tuesday. I've already told them I'm going to drive it - want to see if this is as bad as I've heard. To me a 'fix' via a favorites button that makes the dashboard light up with warning lights is not a fix. Just like a hammer is not a fix for a tooth ache via the 3 Stooges dental school. If this becomes a no go after a longer test drive - I'll look at a G Wagon or something else.

unimogfrog

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I agree that there are some real Grenadier disappointments, I have experienced some too, but I also know there is always "risk" involved with being an "early adopter" of anything in the world.
I think we are all Test Pilots. I knew going in, buying a ground-up, newly designed vehicle from an inexperienced never before car manufacturer does beg the question, "what could possibly go wrong?"
...and the answer is a LOT, however, I am also equally impressed given these parameters that the vehicle is as good as it is and that they were able to roll it out in such an overly-regulated environment at all.
I assume the next version of it when it comes out will be even better, just my .02.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The US is considered IA’s most important market. SJR said it multiple times and Greg Clarke said that directly to Stu and me.

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
to "fix" a problem that exists with us as drivers, not with the vehicle

Disagree here. It's not a problem with drivers IMO.

The problem exists in the vehicle. Here's why. As I understand it, INEOS isn't required by any legislation to deliver this feature in such a heavy handed way. AND none of their customers were demanding this feature (prove me wrong). AND it's hilariously contrary to their campaign of We'll Put Fewer Computers And Complexity Into Your Vehicle. AND they did it at the 11th hour.

If INEOS consulted and tested this part of the vehicle the way they did other aspects of the vehicle, you wouldn't see such a backlash. So it's 100% a problem that INEOS created in their vehicles.

You don't fix the drivers in this case. The problem is in the unnecessary vehicle feature and surprising vehicle behaviour and I think they'll fix the vehicle problem in an update.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sir Jim and team have already said that their biggest market for the G is the US - PERIOD. I have no idea what to believe or whom to believe other than my IG is sitting at the dealer and I'm picking it up on Tuesday. I've already told them I'm going to drive it - want to see if this is as bad as I've heard. To me a 'fix' via a favorites button that makes the dashboard light up with warning lights is not a fix. Just like a hammer is not a fix for a tooth ache via the 3 Stooges dental school. If this becomes a no go after a longer test drive - I'll look at a G Wagon or something else.
Hi YellowLab, Looking forward to your feedback after you have the Grenadier in your possession and a few miles on it.
Hopefully Happy Motoring.
Merry Christmas
DaBull

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Disagree here. It's not a problem with drivers IMO.

The problem exists in the vehicle. Here's why. As I understand it, INEOS isn't required by any legislation to deliver this feature in such a heavy handed way. AND none of their customers were demanding this feature (prove me wrong). AND it's hilariously contrary to their campaign of We'll Put Fewer Computers And Complexity Into Your Vehicle. AND they did it at the 11th hour.

If INEOS consulted and tested this part of the vehicle the way they did other aspects of the vehicle, you wouldn't see such a backlash. So it's 100% a problem that INEOS created in their vehicles.

You don't fix the drivers in this case. The problem is in the unnecessary vehicle feature and surprising vehicle behaviour and I think they'll fix the vehicle problem in an update.

Without pointing back to all my previous rants, Completely Agree. There were about 50 preorders in Nashville and from my understanding 5 have been delivered. Thats 10%. I know 4 or the 5 and they all HATE the way ADAS works. There are a handful of people on the forum that seem to 'tolerate' it, which is fine. Still looking for that one person that loves it.

This issue is going to magnify fast as more and more deliveries happen. Dealers across the country are preloading the 'Favorites Button Mod' that I came up with to bandaid the problem. I'm an IG fan and this is a huge issue for me. Sir Jim, love you buddy, but this isn't an issue when you're driving from Harrods to the Grenadier Pub in stop and go traffic. But, when you're on the farm with no traffic signals, you will have warning lights on the Display and the TellTale when your Grenadier gets ADAS.

At that point, there will be a resolution.

I want us all to get in our Grenadiers and drive without configuring the system every single '_______' time. Fill in the blank as you see fit.

Oh, and Happy Christmas!

Last edited:

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
. ADAS is mandated in Europe and where not only does the the system alert when you exceed the speed limit, it automatically slows the vehicle to the speed limit unless overridden by depressing the accelerator further; it also mandates pre-wiring for planned future inclusion of breathalyzer interlock on all vehicles.

The speed governor part of the EU proposal actually never made it into final rule, what happened is that the speed governor function fell out of final rule making despite being part of the original proposal. Probably because the law makers read it right and forecasted a revolt in the population. In EU only the warning is mandatory, the speed governor is optional.

Will ISA make an impact?
I think much of the projected accident reductions are not real without the governor, but i haven't dug into the statistics supporting the analysis. The published data i have seen in the pre-work to the EU laws (and i only did a cursory look) only made the math work under the assumption that speed actually would be reduced through a speed governor. Without a governor i don't think this is an assertion i would have made.

Speed governors are still optional (in both EU and US), maybe we will see it on heavy trucks on interstates
Note that this doesn't prevent OEM's from installing speed governors on their passenger vehicles, its just not required by regulators in the EU. In the US there is a proposal from Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to require speed governors for heavy trucks on certain highways and interstates. Its currently a bit stalled and i think congress has some proposed legislation to permanently block it through the legislative process.

And for what it is worth some fleet operators in the US put speed governors on their vehicles.

I can virtually guarantee that the US will not adapt any of the EU style ISA laws this side of 2030. After that who knows. But its not a current regulatory priority in the US market, and there is a strong belief that the consumers won't tolerate it.
The regulatory priority of the current administration is to get CAFE to 46mpg by 2026 and 58mpg by 2032 and i can't see that there is any other regulatory priority besides that. If biden looses then i wouldn't bee surprised if the new regulatory standard is to roll it back a bit from 58mpg.

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can a safety feature that is not DOT/NHSTSA mandated or approved be forced on buyers (without a method to opt out)?

Back
Top Bottom