The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

2024 ADAS Issue and Work Around (USA)

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
seriously, it's two taps on the screen if you have ADAS as your "favorite" on the center console deal. How this could be a deal breaker for so many considering how amazing everything else is makes no sense to me. 13 pages about a chime that tells you you're going over the speed limit that you can turn off in a matter of a couple seconds. I don't like nanny nonsense either but good heavens......is it really that big of a deal? The cup holders are more annoying.
Somewhat of an issue but, it would not be one if there was a permanent kill switch for ADAS crap.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
Here in the US the vast majority of buyers are "lifestylers", not people who will actually use the vehicle to its full potential.
I disagree. The "lifestylers" mostly backed out from the purchase, commenting to the tune "for $[insert a number], it has to have more features. My [insert the make/model of "lifestyle" POS] is equipped better."
I suspect their wives had a lot to say in the decision (regardless of the gender of the "lifestyle buyer"), but they will never admit to that.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:00 PM
Reaction score
I disagree. The "lifestylers" mostly backed out from the purchase, commenting to the tune "for $[insert a number], it has to have more features. My [insert the make/model of "lifestyle" POS] is equipped better."
I suspect their wives had a lot to say in the decision (regardless of the gender of the "lifestyle buyer"), but they will never admit to that.
Do you have actual data to back this claim?

To be fair, the vast majority of wives of "lifestyle" clients that I rode with were all for the purchase

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

To be fair, the vast majority of wives of "lifestyle" clients that I rode with were all for the purchase
Not sure that is "data". Perhaps the wives were just being nice until they got home and, then they went all out Lorena Bobbitt on them!

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

no I don't. It's my guess based on who wanted a Grenadier and bought one, vs. who kept talking about it and bailed out.
To be fair, I saw some of SoCal Grenadier owners asking on Facebook about how/where to install 45% windshield tint - that's a classic "lifestyle" owner. So there are both kinds.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what "life styler" means? Nor do I know what category I fall into.

Do I need a Grenadier to do my job? No, I'm a teacher.
Do I enjoy off-roading and camping? Yes.
Will I be traversing the globe using my IG? No.
Do I enjoy tinkering with my vehicles? Yes.

I would also add that not everyone who is not buying one "bailed" - and that includes some of the finest members we have. The economic realities of Jan. 2024 are very different than fall of 2022 when I put my hand up - and much different than 2021 when the founding guards around here threw their hats in the ring. I'll add that life happens too - families, careers, finances, etc. could be very different today than they were just this past summer.

@anand saw first hand far more eclectic groups of individuals than I could have imagined come through the PTO tour and driving opportunities - and they are all welcome here. I imagine SJR would say the same.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would also add that not everyone who is not buying one "bailed" - and that includes some of the finest members we have. The economic realities of Jan. 2024 are very different than fall of 2022 when I put my hand up - and much different than 2021 when the founding guards around here threw their hats in the ring. I'll add that life happens too - families, careers, finances, etc. could be very different today than they were just this past summer.
True as well.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I think a lot of the bailers it comes down to perceived value. Sure, it looks cool. But so does a bronco at 30k less. It has some features, but not nearly as many as a Genesis with quilted leather for 30k less. It is like mountain bikes, most people “need” the newest fanciest carbon mountain bike with 160mm of travel, because they “need it” to ride their flat trails. Some people would rather ride a custom Ti hardtail on harder trails because it makes them smile every time they get in the bike. Just something special about it that you really can’t put a value on. If you are one who tells their bike “good ride today and gives it a pat on the stem” then the Grenadier is most likely for you also.

Local time
Reaction score
I think a lot of the bailers it comes down to perceived value. Sure, it looks cool. But so does a bronco at 30k less. It has some features, but not nearly as many as a Genesis with quilted leather for 30k less. It is like mountain bikes, most people “need” the newest fanciest carbon mountain bike with 160mm of travel, because they “need it” to ride their flat trails. Some people would rather ride a custom Ti hardtail on harder trails because it makes them smile every time they get in the bike. Just something special about it that you really can’t put a value on. If you are one who tells their bike “good ride today and gives it a pat on the stem” then the Grenadier is most likely for you also.
Well I consider myself a 'tweener. I ride a 160mm MTB on not necessariy flat trails, but I also don't bomb down the gnar like some do. I like having the confidence that a big bike gives you and my goal isn't the fastest Strava downhill time, but getting home safely and having a blast doing it, and there's not a lot of penalty in having that bigger bike. And yes, I pat my bike on the stem every so often after a great adventure, lol. The Gren I see as similar, and as Krabby said, I won't likely be traversing the world on it, but when I do go off-road, it gives me the confidence that I won't be bashing the shit out of some vehicle that just isn't up to the task and it'll likely get be home safe and sound with no drama or damage. It might be more fun to thrash the shit out of a lesser car, sure, but that's not my jam. I'm still a little undecided as the Gren isn't the one and only for my use case, but I just can't seem to get excited about anything else at this point regardless what my brain says.

Now, if they just took care of that ADAS which is SO unnecessary....

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
seriously, it's two taps on the screen if you have ADAS as your "favorite" on the center console deal. How this could be a deal breaker for so many considering how amazing everything else is makes no sense to me. 13 pages about a chime that tells you you're going over the speed limit that you can turn off in a matter of a couple seconds. I don't like nanny nonsense either but good heavens......is it really that big of a deal? The cup holders are more annoying.

Honestly. What size are cups and bottles in the rest of the world? I think hitting the favorites button is just going to be second nature. Too me it is going to become muscle memory just like every time I parked my RRS or Defender, I would hit the air suspension because I always parked in the off-road height.

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what "life styler" means? Nor do I know what category I fall into.

Do I need a Grenadier to do my job? No, I'm a teacher.
Do I enjoy off-roading and camping? Yes.
Will I be traversing the globe using my IG? No.
Do I enjoy tinkering with my vehicles? Yes.

@anand saw first hand far more eclectic groups of individuals than I could have imagined come through the PTO tour and driving opportunities - and they are all welcome here. I imagine SJR would say the same.

Honestly. What size are cups and bottles in the rest of the world? I think hitting the favorites button is just going to be second nature. Too me it is going to become muscle memory just like every time I parked my RRS or Defender, I would hit the air suspension because I always parked in the off-road height.

I wrote a longer post on this but the issue is 'friction.' We should be able to get in and go without unnecessary steps.

Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
Couple of questions - one for the tech crowd, one for the lawyers:

(1) How realistic is it to hack (crack?) the ECU that controls all the ADAS stuff (auto-braking, speed limit harasser, drowsy driver nanny) and completely disable them (better yet, completely eradicate them from the vehicle)?

(2) Would this be illegal? From what I can tell, none of these are required yet by law (not for 2024 model year vehicles). Obviously, it will be illegal to remove the software once it is mandated by law.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score

I can only speak for myself as a "bailer." I decided I am not going to pay $80,000+ cash from my own account for a vehicle which may have a windshield that cracks just driving down the road for no apparent reason, or one that may not have a functioning heating system, or a center differential shifter that jams, or water ingress from the safari windows or doors. I still think the idea of this truck is great and I enjoyed my drive in one and really wanted one. But I will wait until Ineos figures out a higher degree of QC.

Local time
Reaction score
Don't be so cranky Peter. You sound like you're projecting. :)

Local time
Reaction score
Ok, Here's your chime fix. Take an M16 and fire it indoors. Voila! That pitch women speak in and pesky little chimes fades into the rear view mirror of life.

A1B2C3D4

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Some of us "Lifestylers" probably won't drive our $80k+ vehicle off road much because we don't feel the need to risk damaging it. Some of us are engineers according to an early poll. We like over designed and more capabilities things to handle snow, etc. We could care less what others think of what we drive. In my case mostly a tank for my 2 year old and hopefully a vehicle for 20 years.

I don't think anyone has done much in terms of polls lately to get actual facts. Maybe time for some polls? Who cares why someone purchased. Really the only question is who is having real problems in 2024 US vehicle and not minor items.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some of us "Lifestylers" probably won't drive our $80k+ vehicle off road much because we don't feel the need to risk damaging it. Some of us are engineers according to an early poll. We like over designed and more capabilities things to handle snow, etc. We could care less what others think of what we drive. In my case mostly a tank for my 2 year old and hopefully a vehicle for 20 years.
This is very, very good. I think I fall right into that definition.
But I also remember that about 25 years ago, I bought a relatively new Discovery for what in today's money nearly equals Grenadier's price. The time span between worrying of scuffing the body panels of a vehicle mostly owned by the bank and taking a hacksaw to clear larger tires was less than a year.

Don't be so cranky Peter.
Let me draw again on old Discoweb experience. Do you care what a parking valet thinks of you? (it is rhetorical, in your case, but it gives you the gist).

Returning to the subject - I think after 3500 miles in the Grenadier I am developing immunity to the ADAS clicks. It would be nice to enjoy the music or quiet, though.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Couple of questions - one for the tech crowd, one for the lawyers:

(1) How realistic is it to hack (crack?) the ECU that controls all the ADAS stuff (auto-braking, speed limit harasser, drowsy driver nanny) and completely disable them (better yet, completely eradicate them from the vehicle)?

(2) Would this be illegal? From what I can tell, none of these are required yet by law (not for 2024 model year vehicles). Obviously, it will be illegal to remove the software once it is mandated by law.
1) Certainly possible, I would give the aftermarket at least a year

2) If it isn't "mandated", you're good. Well, either way you're good unless you're caught

Back
Top Bottom