The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who is experiencing software or electrical gremlins?

FarmerWales

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:43 PM
Reaction score
I'm in the same position, no contract signed yet, I really really want the Gren to work and be a success. I have recently taken delivery of a new Hilux invincible X and clicked over 2000 miles in the last month, it is faultless, inspires confidence (unlike the VW Amarok it replaced), filled full of gadgets and is doing 30 - 32mpg, it goes very well off road full of gear and people and gives you hope that it will work for all of its 10 year warrantee, not to mention it cost half the price of an IG. I will be keeping it to run head to head against the Grenny, one will be kept the other sold and I am completely ambivalent which one. IG need to up their game quickly.
I've also took delivery of an Hilux Invincible X in March this year, and will get my Grenadier next week - so planning on doing exactly the same!

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:43 AM
Reaction score
I actually ordered a Hilux 2.8 Invincible X in Apr 2021 and it arrived in March this year, so nearly 2 years from order date. I ordered the Grenadier as I thought the Hilux would never arrive. I'm now picking up my Grenadier next week, and will drive them both on and off for 2 or 3 months and decide which to keep....
Excellent problem to have!

marko

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Izzi (the INEOS) is now at 420miles and had her first electrical error messages on a 310 mile trip to Cornwall.
- power steering error. This was on start up. Switched engine off and restarted and message had gone. Sorry no photo of this one.
- TPMS error. This came on about 60 miles ago after a stop to fill with fuel. Didn’t go off but I’m convinced it’s an error (as indeed the message says) as it’s showing the LOWER pressure on the front axle in orange but the associated warning is tyre pressure HIGH. I’ll see how it is on next start.
I’m not particularly concerned by either message tbh but packed my pressure gauge, pump and some other tools just in case so can adjust when cold if necessary.

Attachments

• 633E8FCB-FA52-40B5-96A6-202E4DBB7ABB.jpeg
    633E8FCB-FA52-40B5-96A6-202E4DBB7ABB.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 77
  • A9C985D9-C548-4F6E-BE65-31F1D2118B04.jpeg
    A9C985D9-C548-4F6E-BE65-31F1D2118B04.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 77

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Izzi (the INEOS) is now at 420miles and had her first electrical error messages on a 310 mile trip to Cornwall.
- power steering error. This was on start up. Switched engine off and restarted and message had gone. Sorry no photo of this one.
- TPMS error. This came on about 60 miles ago after a stop to fill with fuel. Didn’t go off but I’m convinced it’s an error (as indeed the message says) as it’s showing the LOWER pressure on the front axle in orange but the associated warning is tyre pressure HIGH. I’ll see how it is on next start.
I’m not particularly concerned by either message tbh but packed my pressure gauge, pump and some other tools just in case so can adjust when cold if necessary.
It seems the TPMS is one of the most common gremlins. I am curious is it happening on both types of tyre? KO2 and Bridgestone.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It seems the TPMS is one of the most common gremlins. I am curious is it happening on both types of tyre? KO2 and Bridgestone.
The TPMS error light is not a gremlin as such, it really is such an accurate system that it does need a few hours running at motorway speeds to fully bed-in. My Gren first registered on the TPMS one tyre being just 1psi higher than the other 3 tyres after some 3 hours constant on the motorway - so it's more advisory rather than a problem or gremlin. The message disappeared the following day and has not reoccurred.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That seems like a reasonable enough outcome. With regards to the error on startup, do you hold the ignition long enough to cycle the glow plugs before firing the engine up? My Range Rover often produces errors if it hasn’t been allowed a moment to gather its thoughts before cold start! Have you checked pressures manually and did they align with indicated?

What is your indicated fuel economy on the run to Cornwall and what it’s the estimated tank range on a motorway drive?

Reactions: PBD

Limeyjeeper

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think there have been very few companies that have taken a mass-produced vehicle from a concept to on the road in 6 1/2 years. Maybe Tesla who had and continue to have a myriad of issues with their software. Ineos used Magna for the vehicle integration. They are very familiar with German electronics which the Ineos is mainly configured with, I am highly confident they will get these minor issues sorted very quickly. I have had may vehicles over the years Cadillac, Subaru Outback, BMW X5, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Volvo V60 and XC40. Each one has had random glitches. If you look on any vehicle forum you would probably never buy that vehicle. My Grand Cherokee at 62,000 miles still has random warnings and glitches. Never has not worked flawlessly. My X5 was the worst by far. Completely died twice. I am not hearing of low mileage engine or trans failures, unlike my V60 which puked an stub axle at 1,500 miles or my Cadillac ATS whose dash went completely blank from new several times making the vehicle undriveable. The level of over reaction on this forum to a few warning lights is unreal. I am much more interested in the vehicle dynamics and capability which will become legendary. This is a bold idea by a bold company and I for one am looking forward to taking delivery of mine. Just hope the frame doesn't rot like a Tacoma!!

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My Ineos issue, random transmission error, 1 airbag system failure, couple of rogue seatbelt warnings. All disappeared in seconds. The trip computer is not working and discovered today the air con doesn’t work. At minimum needs a re gas

Adventures

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
The First Grenadier
Local time
Reaction score
Regarding TPMS: You can reset the TPMS error warning in the menu "Fahrzeuginformationen" (car information?) in the menu point Reifendruck/Tire pressure(?). It works.

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My thoughts today - why didn’t Ineos just opt for a standard basic off the shelf instrument binnacle. They could have done digital display if they wanted but I’m thinking Yaris functionality circa 2003 - greyscale trip computer and settings that are used on 1,000,000’s of low end vehicles and vans. It would have fitted in a very small cluster. Keep all the car stuff there and isolated. Then get a Blaupunkt or similar double din unit with Apple car play and android auto + dab. Forget the i-drive bit. It would have all worked off the shelf and not required loads of software programming and updates plus has the virtue of being easily replaceable and upgradable in 10 years. It feels like this will be the Achilles heel if there aren’t a couple of really good updates coming.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
My thoughts today - why didn’t Ineos just opt for a standard basic off the shelf instrument binnacle. They could have done digital display if they wanted but I’m thinking Yaris functionality circa 2003 - greyscale trip computer and settings that are used on 1,000,000’s of low end vehicles and vans. It would have fitted in a very small cluster. Keep all the car stuff there and isolated. Then get a Blaupunkt or similar double din unit with Apple car play and android auto + dab. Forget the i-drive bit. It would have all worked off the shelf and not required loads of software programming and updates plus has the virtue of being easily replaceable and upgradable in 10 years. It feels like this will be the Achilles heel if there aren’t a couple of really good updates coming.
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a default loom and functionality in vehicles at the moment. There is often commonality across models within a manufacturer, but a new entrant is going to have to bespoke an interface to the systems they have bought in and get them all to talk to each other; which is no mean feat. Even Android for Vehicles needs tailoring for different platforms.

Ineos probably made their life easier by picking the BMW engine, ZF gearbox and iDrive pointer as they work together elsewhere, but the transfer box functionality and offroad systems still needed to be added.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
I am curious, those that have collected the Grenadier - how many are experiencing SOFTWARE / ELECTRICAL GREMLINS?friend collected his from dealership two days ago and
I am curious, those that have collected the Grenadier - how many are experiencing SOFTWARE / ELECTRICAL GREMLINS?

Still waiting for my vehicle but my friend collected his two days ago. Within the first day, he had an engine management light come on, the outside temperature gauge decided to show -41 which made the heater work flat out, and after driving over 100 miles the fuel range increased from 210 to 430 miles. On collection of his vehicle, the dealership was unable to demonstrate anything to do with the 4x4 and diff locks as nobody had undergone any training. Have to say I'm glad I'm down the delivery list. I know someone else who collects theirs this week from the same dealership so it should be interesting to see how he gets on.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is yours at the same dealership?

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Still waiting for my vehicle but my friend collected his two days ago. Within the first day, he had an engine management light come on, the outside temperature gauge decided to show -41 which made the heater work flat out, and after driving over 100 miles the fuel range increased from 210 to 430 miles. On collection of his vehicle, the dealership was unable to demonstrate anything to do with the 4x4 and diff locks as nobody had undergone any training. Have to say I'm glad I'm down the delivery list. I know someone else who collects theirs this week from the same dealership so it should be interesting to see how he gets on.
Mate - that is not very encouraging at all! Where abouts in the UK is this agent? Mine is supposed to arrive in 10 days.

Reactions: PBD

marko

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That seems like a reasonable enough outcome. With regards to the error on startup, do you hold the ignition long enough to cycle the glow plugs before firing the engine up? My Range Rover often produces errors if it hasn’t been allowed a moment to gather its thoughts before cold start! Have you checked pressures manually and did they align with indicated?

What is your indicated fuel economy on the run to Cornwall and what it’s the estimated tank range on a motorway drive?
Ignition on start up - yes I’d say so.
Nope I haven’t checked the pressures manually but will do if error persists
Sorry haven’t looked at fuel economy yet.

marko

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Regarding TPMS: You can reset the TPMS error warning in the menu "Fahrzeuginformationen" (car information?) in the menu point Reifendruck/Tire pressure(?). It works.
Thanks I’ll try that before next journey.

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:43 PM
Reaction score

I asked about starting the ignition and the wait time required at the Hanging Rock drive day and was told you didn’t need to do that..

Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
why didn’t Ineos just opt for a standard basic off the shelf instrument binnacle. [...] It would have all worked off the shelf and not required loads of software programming

I sort of agree in principle (I worry about the screen's reliability) but bear in mind that even with traditional instruments, lots of programming is still required. Regardless of how much or how little software you create, it always has to be tested! And it appears that this may not have been properly done, leaving the first owners as guinea pigs. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom