The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Wheel/Tire Upgrade Photos

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
So no lift right?
No lift; given that the lift springs don't alter the bump stops or shocks, at full compression the tire location with or without the lift will be the same

mikemadden

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
No lift; given that the lift springs don't alter the bump stops or shocks, at full compression the tire location with or without the lift will be the same
I have the eibach lift and going to remove it ——I hope the 285/75r17 will still fit? I see some comments in thread about it not sure - I read on page 14 or 15 that John @ Agile ran 285/75r17 without the lift.

4X4OMAN

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
Just installed my new Black Rhino wheels! I kept my original tires for now, but I'm not sure if I should upgrade to 35s. Anyone have any experience with 35s on their car? Let me know if they're too heavy, rub, or are noisy. Thanks 🌹🌹

Attachments

• 20240713_055415.jpg
    20240713_055415.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 134
  • Clipped_image_20240713_055109.png
    Clipped_image_20240713_055109.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 128

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:40 PM
Reaction score
only 70mm despite +30mm Lift? I was hoping the 75mm wouldn't be a problem. I want wider and bigger wheels than the original ones, I was thinking about 285/75/R17, but then I saw that some people here also have 315/75/R17 tires. Yes, I know that there is a difference between the Eibach US and EU versions of the Lift kit, but even the US version has a rear lift of only 30mm, right?
I’m late on responding, but just to be clear the 70 and 75 in those measurements (I.e. 285/75/17) are percentages, not mm’s. The side wall height would be 285 x 75% = 213.75 mm. Also I don’t know of a 315/75/17 tire, the common size is a 315/70/17.

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
At every other level of compression (other than fully compressed) you will however have more space with the lift, so I don’t really follow your logic.

Local time
Reaction score
At every other level of compression (other than fully compressed) you will however have more space with the lift, so I don’t really follow your logic.
The logic is that taller coils alone do not increase tire clearance. Yes there is more space when static but no one wants fender or tire damage because contact is being made under compression. Therefore if a larger tire does not rub with the stock suspension then you don't actually need taller coils to run that tire. If the tire does rub with stock suspension then you need more than just taller coils to make it work. You also need extended bump stops at a minimum and ideally longer shocks to match which will preserve or increase total suspension travel when used with the longer stops. This is basic suspension design for solid axle vehicles.

G-Tank

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone running 305/65 R18 on the stock 18" Alloy Wheels ?
Tire Relocation kit will be added.

1721082648823.png

Last edited:

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The logic is that taller coils alone do not increase tire clearance. Yes there is more space when static but no one wants fender or tire damage because contact is being made under compression. Therefore if a larger tire does not rub with the stock suspension then you don't actually need taller coils to run that tire. If the tire does rub with stock suspension then you need more than just taller coils to make it work. You also need extended bump stops at a minimum and ideally longer shocks to match which will preserve or increase total suspension travel when used with the longer stops. This is basic suspension design for solid axle vehicles.
That seems to imply that taller coils alone are of no benefit. I don’t agree with that. You still get improved approach and departure angles at every scenario other than at full compression.

74CampySuperRecord

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:40 AM
Reaction score
Is anyone running BFG KO2 285/75/R17?

Is an offset rear door carrier required for the spare?

Edit: Stock 17” steel wheels

Thanks.

* Edit to update. The rear door just clears by a few millimeters with the factory spare mount. It (spare tire) also does not interfere with the rear wiper function.

Last edited:

74CampySuperRecord

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:40 AM
Reaction score
BFG KO2 285/75/R17 on factory spare holder. Just clears the small door.

Plenty of clearance with the rear wiper.

Attachments

• IMG_4537.jpeg
    IMG_4537.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4536.jpeg
    IMG_4536.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4538.jpeg
    IMG_4538.jpeg
    961 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Admittedly I am ignorant to after market wheels. With that said… I am looking at getting the owl vans talon wheels which have a 30mm offset. This pushes the wheels outwards by about 25mm. I plan to continue to run stock 17” tires for the foreseeable future.

I have 3 questions…

1. Is their any downside to this much offset or unnatural stress that would put on the steering components, hubs, wheel bearings?

2. Do the on-road driving characteristics change at all with a wider track?

3. If I keep the OEM wheel as a spare (I like my little trash bin back there) are there any big issues in how the vehicle will track / drive if I get a puncture and put in the spare with a greater offset?

Thanks so much - as always I appreciate forum members advice.

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
1. Is their any downside to this much offset or unnatural stress that would put on the steering components, hubs, wheel bearings?

2. Do the on-road driving characteristics change at all with a wider track?

3. If I keep the OEM wheel as a spare (I like my little trash bin back there) are there any big issues in how the vehicle will track / drive if I get a puncture and put in the spare with a greater offset?
Firstly, you're correct, the wheel will sit out further, but there's more to calculating the wider stance than just the offset, as the wheel widths are also different.

The Owl Talon being 17x8 ET30 will sit 31.3mm further "out" than the 17x7.5 ET55 (stock) wheel, and also give 18.7mm further clearance from the suspension (it's not just 25mm out due to the difference in width).

1) As you run wheels with lower offset (or add wheel spacers) you put more stress on the wheel bearings/hubs of the vehicle as the mass moves further away from the mounting surface. Is a 31mm move enough to cause long term issues? On the Grenadier, probably not; on other vehicles? It can be

2) Technically increasing track width will increase your scrub radius, which could increase steering effort and feedback slightly, as with above, not sure if this would actually be perceptible on the Grenadier

3) If on the front, you may notice very slightly different handling due to the difference in lateral wheel placement, but as long as the tire size is the same, no real worries.

Last edited:

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Super helpful Anand. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

One follow up question - what is the main reason for a reduced offset? To fit larger tires so one can clear the suspension components?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One follow up question - what is the main reason for a reduced offset? To fit larger tires so one can clear the suspension components?
Most often? Aesthetics
Secondly, to clear suspension components. The Talon (and Mojo) was designed as a wheel for the Sprinter, and came into the world around the time there was a push for all the cool kids to do 35s, which puts the tire very close to the shock (or shocks if you run dual shocks). Of course, pushing the tire outwards gives you suspension clearance, but then can put the tire into body work (usually mud flaps or lower bumper valences on most vehicles, not Grenadier specific)

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Firstly, you're correct, the wheel will sit out further, but there's more to calculating the wider stance than just the offset, as the wheel widths are also different.

The Owl Talon being 17x8 ET30 will sit 31.3mm further "out" than the 17x7.5 ET55 (stock) wheel, and also give 18.7mm further clearance from the suspension (it's not just 25mm out due to the difference in width).

1) As you run wheels with lower offset (or add wheel spacers) you put more stress on the wheel bearings/hubs of the vehicle as the mass moves further away from the mounting surface. Is a 31mm move enough to cause long term issues? On the Grenadier, probably not; on other vehicles? It can be

2) Technically increasing track width will increase your scrub radius, which could increase steering effort and feedback slightly, as with above, not sure if this would actually be perceptible on the Grenadier

3) If on the front, you may notice very slightly different handling due to the difference in lateral wheel placement, but as long as the tire size is the same, no real worries.

Correct me if I am wrong, if you go with a smaller offset, you counter the effects with a narrow tire. So if you run a 255/85r17 tire, you bring the whole wheel to similar stance as the one setup.

Back
Top Bottom