The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Wheel/Tire Upgrade Photos

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:24 PM
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, if you go with a smaller offset, you counter the effects with a narrow tire. So if you run a 255/85r17 tire, you bring the whole wheel to similar stance as the one setup.
To some extent a narrower tire will minimize some of the effects, but @Asnes posted the plan was to stick to the stock tire size... Usually the tire width alteration is more minimal than the movement due to offset, and the offset/wheel width shifts the middle of the tire, no matter the width.

A good visual reference for this is www.WillTheyFit.com

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:24 PM
Reaction score
Not to be confused with doesitfit.com

Last edited:

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Most often? Aesthetics
Secondly, to clear suspension components. The Talon (and Mojo) was designed as a wheel for the Sprinter, and came into the world around the time there was a push for all the cool kids to do 35s, which puts the tire very close to the shock (or shocks if you run dual shocks). Of course, pushing the tire outwards gives you suspension clearance, but then can put the tire into body work (usually mud flaps or lower bumper valences on most vehicles, not Grenadier specific)
So now another question! Since I will not be on 35’s… just stock tires….

Is there anything to consider going from a 7.5 to 8” width on the rim? Downside or upside?

Thank you for all your great support :)

Last edited:

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:24 PM
Reaction score

Is there anything to consider going from a 7.5 to 8” width on the rim? Downside or upside?

If the tire is in the approved rim width it should be fine. I assume that the tire height will decrease just a bit, but doubt it would be noticeable. Most tire manufacturers will list the approved rim width for each tire and note which rim width was used for the measurements provided.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
I’ve been running 35 offset wheels since new. I have nothing bad to report.
That’s with 285/70-17.

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
Admittedly I am ignorant to after market wheels. With that said… I am looking at getting the owl vans talon wheels which have a 30mm offset. This pushes the wheels outwards by about 25mm. I plan to continue to run stock 17” tires for the foreseeable future.

I have 3 questions…

1. Is their any downside to this much offset or unnatural stress that would put on the steering components, hubs, wheel bearings?

2. Do the on-road driving characteristics change at all with a wider track?

3. If I keep the OEM wheel as a spare (I like my little trash bin back there) are there any big issues in how the vehicle will track / drive if I get a puncture and put in the spare with a greater offset?

Thanks so much - as always I appreciate forum members advice.
I've had the owl wheels for 4,000 miles now. I have been super happy with them and like the way it drives. It's not an apples-to-apples answer to your question though because I also have the taller Eibach springs and 315/70/17 Nitto A/T's.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

As others said, no real downside between those widths, assuming the tire officially "fits" on the wheel (sure you could get into the technicalities that you'd get more wheel protection on a 7.5" vs an 8" wheel, but in reality it is minimal)

Back
Top Bottom