The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vehicle mounted twin air compressor

archerwolf

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:30 PM
Reaction score
Since I got the grenadier, I’ve been trying to find a good place to install the ARB twin without wasting too much space. The last few trips I’ve just been using in a pelican case and hooking it up to the NATO plug when needed. Owl Offroad just released a bracket for mounting the ARB under the drivers seat. That’s probably the easiest option but that’s where my radio is and I like having extra storage there.

On Grenadiers with the optional inverter, the inverter is installed in the left rear cargo area behind a vented trim piece. The trim is also larger to accommodate the inverter. I ordered just the left rear cargo area trim piece for the inverter option from Sierra INEOS. Underneath the trim below the rear window are 4 M6 and M8 welded nuts used for mounting the inverter. I used some CAD (cardboard aided design) and made brackets from 3/8” aluminum to mount the ARB twin. It fits just right and the vents in the trim piece give the compressor cool cabin air. There’s a channel that runs from there down to the electrical area under the seats so wiring is straightforward. I used a chassis ground and the positive is connected to a free slot in the INEOS 5 stud accessory fuse box and 80A fuse.

For air I used the ARB surface mount QD mounted directed to the plastic trim near the factory bottle jack. This way the air outlet and compressor are completely hidden when the cover is on.
IMG_4133.jpeg
IMG_4134.jpeg
IMG_4135.jpeg

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
Since I got the grenadier, I’ve been trying to find a good place to install the ARB twin without wasting too much space. The last few trips I’ve just been using in a pelican case and hooking it up to the NATO plug when needed. Owl Offroad just released a bracket for mounting the ARB under the drivers seat. That’s probably the easiest option but that’s where my radio is and I like having extra storage there.

On Grenadiers with the optional inverter, the inverter is installed in the left rear cargo area behind a vented trim piece. The trim is also larger to accommodate the inverter. I ordered just the left rear cargo area trim piece for the inverter option from Sierra INEOS. Underneath the trim below the rear window are 4 M6 and M8 welded nuts used for mounting the inverter. I used some CAD (cardboard aided design) and made brackets from 3/8” aluminum to mount the ARB twin. It fits just right and the vents in the trim piece give the compressor cool cabin air. There’s a channel that runs from there down to the electrical area under the seats so wiring is straightforward. I used a chassis ground and the positive is connected to a free slot in the INEOS 5 stud accessory fuse box and 80A fuse.

For air I used the ARB surface mount QD mounted directed to the plastic trim near the factory bottle jack. This way the air outlet and compressor are completely hidden when the cover is on.
View attachment 7869412
View attachment 7869413
View attachment 7869414
Got to love your CAD design 😍.
I’m torn now between the under seat mount and your mount position. 🤔

Nocrays

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7869412
View attachment 7869413
View attachment 7869414
Well done. The $700 for the new liner is a bugger. My install may have a checker plate extension🤦‍♂️

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7869412
View attachment 7869413
View attachment 7869414
Indid a similar thing, though with thicker ali plate and I installed the ARB pressure control system. I haven't completed the air coupling install yet as the planning to put it to fill panel beside drawers at rear. But what have done was my same thought also

I also did the same with the 80 amp fuse. But I found some inconsistencies during compressor operation that I feel has some smart alternator issue connect. I plan to try straight off battery terminal and see if it helps.

The trim panel being expensive was an initial concern, but when you consider the cost of a bracket from blacksheep, it was a much easier decision and it uses free real estate.

The control module that is install in there presented a slight problem. I wish ineos would just have open this are up with the option to factory install, pre wire and switch a compressor and small 4l tank in this location. It is the perfect location

Attachments

• 20240831_111725.jpg
    20240831_111725.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 20240611_174951.jpg
    20240611_174951.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 20240607_152343.jpg
    20240607_152343.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Indid a similar thing, though with thicker ali plate and I installed the ARB pressure control system. I haven't completed the air coupling install yet as the planning to put it to fill panel beside drawers at rear. But what have done was my same thought also

I also did the same with the 80 amp fuse. But I found some inconsistencies during compressor operation that I feel has some smart alternator issue connect. I plan to try straight off battery terminal and see if it helps.

The trim panel being expensive was an initial concern, but when you consider the cost of a bracket from blacksheep, it was a much easier decision and it uses free real estate.

The control module that is install in there presented a slight problem. I wish ineos would just have open this are up with the option to factory install, pre wire and switch a compressor and small 4l tank in this location. It is the perfect location
How do you go with heat build up in that location when using the compressor?

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There is enough space and air circulation that I dont find it an issue so far. The trim has openings above and on the jack side, and there is space below and throughout the trim panels. Plus the compressor has an active cooling fan that runs whenever the compressor is on, moving air across it, so it isn't "heating a space" and there is plenty of air volume to move.

It is early days in the Grenadier for sure, but I just dont see it as an issue. I ran a similar setup in the trim on a prado for 5 years and never had a problem, no reason the Grenadier should be different.

Last edited:

archerwolf

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:30 PM
Reaction score
I previously had an ARB twin mounted in the engine compartment of a 100 series LandCruiser. There is just no issue running the ARB in a hot environment for the 10 minutes it takes to fill up 4 tires.

This cargo area trim mount is an improvement since the ARB is getting cooled and filtered cabin air instead of the hot, dirty engine compartment air. The ARB also has its own cooling fan. The trim piece is vented and there’s a lot open space in the wheel well area behind the compressor.

Strib81

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
Air circulation is good to go. I have been using mine in this location since the beginning of the year. Sometimes filling up a second set on other vehicles with no issues!

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score
Twin ARB under-driver seat Owl Mount

View: https://youtu.be/sF_Fb0NIuzA?si=nX54l1Q_ofzuiKCu

Looks pretty slick. I’d like some kind of trim piece to keep stuff from falling into the gap between the seat frame and the mount.

Plus/minus on this kind of mount versus other locations? I guess you’d have to have your door open while you use it, which might not be good on the side of the road or in bad weather?

Is it bad that I’m disappointed that it doesn’t use one of the overhead switches?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Looks pretty slick. I’d like some kind of trim piece to keep stuff from falling into the gap between the seat frame and the mount.

Plus/minus on this kind of mount versus other locations? I guess you’d have to have your door open while you use it, which might not be good on the side of the road or in bad weather?

Is it bad that I’m disappointed that it doesn’t use one of the overhead switches?
You need to insert/remove the air hose, so you are always near the On/Off button.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You need to insert/remove the air hose, so you are always near the On/Off button.

Is that a positive or a negative? I’m starting to lean towards and under-the-hood mount. Would that have a switch at the pump, or one inside the cabin?

For me, that space is better served for other storage needs.
It is a nice space. I keep the tool and some First Aid kit stuff under the passenger seat. The only issue I have is that you have to get out to use it, so everyone can see what you are hiding and where, and so I’m not sure what I would use it for.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is that a positive or a negative? I’m starting to lean towards and under-the-hood mount. Would that have a switch at the pump, or one inside the cabin?
For me a positive, put in air hose, turn on switch - all in one location. Quick and easy. Otherwise it would be insert air hose, reach up to the roof switch panel and turn on the switch and then start inflating.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is a nice space. I keep the tool and some First Aid kit stuff under the passenger seat. The only issue I have is that you have to get out to use it, so everyone can see what you are hiding and where, and so I’m not sure what I would use it for.
Avoid places with people incompatible with not locking things down.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I think this is the best solution to date, I would mount it on the passenger side so you can leave the door open if pulled over on the side of a road.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think this is the best solution to date, I would mount it on the passenger side so you can leave the door open if pulled over on the side of a road.

I sent them an email asking if the RHD version would work in a LHD passenger seat. Seems like a better idea?

In the video text, They talk about the air compressor working better here than under the hood due to temps. That makes sense, but there are of mechanical parts under the hood…. You’d need the hood up to use, n’est-ce pas?

ETA: I see some dual compressor installs also have a small air tank. I assume that evens out the usage? This OWL install doesn’t have one. What is the downside?

Last edited:

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I sent them an email asking if the RHD version would work in a LHD passenger seat. Seems like a better idea?

In the video text, They talk about the air compressor working better here than under the hood due to temps. That makes sense, but there are of mechanical parts under the hood…. You’d need the hood up to use, n’est-ce pas?

ETA: I see some dual compressor installs also have a small air tank. I assume that evens out the usage? This OWL install doesn’t have one. What is the downside?
ETAM: I was going around on the ARB site and they mention this for the portable dual compressor:

-Suitable for many air tools when used in conjunction with a 1 gallon air tank

So is that a ‘have to’ to use tools, or are there some tools that require it more than others?

While I like the underseat, I have three potential vehicles, so maybe potable would be better, I just really don’t want to screw with clamps and battery posts- but to be universal to a Jeep/4Runner/IG, clamps to a battery is about as universal as it gets.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
While I like the underseat, I have three potential vehicles, so maybe potable would be better, I just really don’t want to screw with clamps and battery posts- but to be universal to a Jeep/4Runner/IG, clamps to a battery is about as universal as it gets.
For this exact reason the ARB twin suitcase has been the perfect solution for me.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I watched the video again and it looks like there isn’t room under the seat for tank.

-Can you attach a small tank inline with the 1/4NTP(?) fittings as an ad-hoc add on when using tools? Just make that part of the tool kit?

Back
Top Bottom