The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas USA Buying Process--Beware (dealer vehicle pricing and business practices)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
The order has to actually go through the dealer - as opposed to ordering online for oneself. So, I cannot imagine a dealer would allow someone to order many IGs without a binding contract.

That said, however, if dealers are playing games but one (or several) are not, there is nothing stopping "us" from collective buying. That is, because XYZ dealer is fair and honest, 15 of us can order through that dealer to avoid a less scrupulous, albeit closer, dealer.

Local time
2:29 AM
Reaction score
When I ordered my Lightning I also ordered a Bronco at another dealership. I truly didn’t know which one I would buy. The Bronco was a low probability, but the dealer encouraged me to order it anyway. Nothing down. No obligation. He wanted the car on the lot.

When I drove the Bronco, it didn’t feel right. The dealer sold it to someone else for MSRP + $5K. They were happy.

I would guess that dealers might like people who are on the fence to go ahead and order the Grenadier for the same reason. When it arrives and the buyer refuses it, they should be free to make however much someone is willing to pay to get one without the wait.

The only downside is the delay it causes for a reservation holder.

Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
It is an educated guess on the grenadier. I think they’ve priced it at the very peak of what an enthusiast would pay. Unless it vastly outperforms expectations, there will be discounting on them by Q2 2024. Ineos might have missed a window for maximizing income as the result of the delays. It’s not to criticize or diminish the vehicle. By nearly all measures they’ve built a great off roader. For the sake of other investments and the world economy, I hope I’m wrong, but I’d be willing to wager on the below MSRP deals coming next Spring/Summer.
I think your time line is off.
The die hards and "collectors" who need the latest flash in the pan gotta haves, and yes, even the flippers wont all have them yet by q2 2024.
Q2 2025?
Maybe.
Will it become the latest greatest thing when it launches in the U.S.?
Will soccer moms insist their rich husbands buy them one?
Will professional woman go buy them?
Is it enough to get NON DIE HARDS to give up the RR Sport or their GLE or their New Defender?

No.
Its a niche vehicle and should be unique and you should have to walk into a dealer and order one.
Old school style.

Local time
Reaction score
When I see the insane prices older restored Defenders are going for and the resemblance of the IG to those older vehicles, but with more comfort and performance….I think the demand will be high. Higher than supply IMO.

Time will tell
But they dont make them anymore, therein lies the difference.

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
But they dont make them anymore, therein lies the difference.
True but I don’t think that difference will make a difference in demand. I think in the US there’s been a hole since the early 90’s when LR stopped importing the old Defender. I think there was a lot of excitement when the ND was announced, followed by disappointment by many when it came out (too much change from the old model). I believe if the successful introduction of the IG to the US market is achieved the truck will fill that hole.

I hope you’re right. I’d love to get a discount when it’s my turn but I doubt it.

Local time
Reaction score
True but I don’t think that difference will make a difference in demand. I think in the US there’s been a hole since the early 90’s when LR stopped importing the old Defender. I think there was a lot of excitement when the ND was announced, followed by disappointment by many when it came out (too much change from the old model). I believe if the successful introduction of the IG to the US market is achieved the truck will fill that hole.

I hope you’re right. I’d love to get a discount when it’s my turn but I doubt it.
The people paying out big money for those old defenders are a different market.
They have a lot of money to burn and they want something unique that you CANT just go and order.
They usually dont drive them much.
Plus look at values of several other vehicles after they stop making them.
Check out what H1s sell for now. Double what they cost new.
Because you cant just go order a new one.
I dont know if or when the G will be discounted but im not sure they will be selling at premiums after 2024.
We shall see how they deal with the niggles as well as some other factors.

What do I know?
Not much.
If my crystal ball worked I wouldn't be going to work every day and typing on forums.

Local time
Reaction score
So. I’ve been watching and posting occasionally. I am hopeful the IG doesn’t turn into the latest DB mobile. I looked at the places they showcased in US on tour. Wouldn’t call any of them an off-road centric environment. I think the long term plan is to find a place between G and Defender. Likely an arena they can play in if they get the platform corrected for soccer moms and people who don’t care about cost.

GoneNative

Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
So. I’ve been watching and posting occasionally. I am hopeful the IG doesn’t turn into the latest DB mobile. I looked at the places they showcased in US on tour. Wouldn’t call any of them an off-road centric environment. I think the long term plan is to find a place between G and Defender. Likely an arena they can play in if they get the platform corrected for soccer moms and people who don’t care about cost.
It's a half price G wagon, that alone is enough to sell units, especially since G wagons are always sold out.

Local time
Reaction score
That ship sailed.
It's a medium high cost SUV here in the US. Competes with Defender 110, and G-wagons.
Jeep Grand Wagoneer exceeds 100k, Cadillac Escalade, and GMC Tahoe XL, do as well.
Totally a Chelsea tractor.
Heck, even Lexus is stepping into the segment.
Thank God they aren't marketing the number of touch screens it can have!
In the western states the cost, size, and fuel economy is never going to turn the 'Yota fan boys.
At 50k it was a battle. At 100, no. 15 mpg and a small tank is a real problem.

I will enjoy mine in multiple environments for many years.
And explore various upgrades. That's always fun.
Probably will get a RHD model used for use in the UK as well.
I'm just not into the image the Defender 110 presents.

Just my opinion of course.

Local time
Reaction score
HAHAHA! Speaking of G-Wagon D-Bags
That's funny.
I'm sure it will sound petty, but from the day of intro, I hated the stupid side pipes on theV8 G wagon.
I was running a crew for Mercedes when it was revealed at the NAIAS in Detroit, and I hated it on arrival.
The whole gangsta thing came after.

RobS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not roo's, but white-tailed deer. I'd venture to say they are as bad as roo's in your worst affected areas. I always put ARB bars on my coil-sprung LR's for this very reason.
A roo/bull/cattle bar could not have helped in this situation.

A deer jumped from an overpass and slammed through the windshield of a car traveling on a New Jersey highway, causing the driver to lose control and crash Wednesday morning, according to police.

Local time
Reaction score

A deer jumped from an overpass and slammed through the windshield of a car traveling on a New Jersey highway, causing the driver to lose control and crash Wednesday morning, according to police.

That's sad

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score

When will we address the issue of Deer suicide? This is not a tragedy without victims; we'll ignore deer depression at our own peril..

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

That's sad
Yes, terrible. The deer population need to be culled.

Back
Top Bottom