The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

TPMS - The Quest for a second set of tyres/rims/sensors - Technical

coloradosnow

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:35 AM
Reaction score
Yes, warning screen annoyances.
I have swapped my TPMS from original tires to my winter tires/wheels and then back again. Of course you have to ensure the TPMS sensor goes on the wheel in the same position as it will always read that sensor from the position it was programmed (does not auto recognize new position). That took me a bit to fix.
Hoping before this coming winter there are more solutions available besides the dealer (wanted over $1k to buy sensors and program to right position), so I don't keep having to swap between sets!
So am very interested if people find other solutions.

Snipewench

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:35 PM
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone in here may help, as I have a TPMS issue with my Gren. I took delivery of it the other day, and have had "TPMS Sensor Failure" the entire time.

What I think has happened is tyres and rims from another Gren in the shop were swapped with the ones on my vehicle (mine had steelies, but I wanted alloy rims), but the sensors in each were not kept with each original vehicle. Thus, the sensors that are now in my vehicle aren't recognised.

Is there a way to get these sensors recognised / learnt by the Gren, without having to pull the wheels off, break beads, check sensor numbers, and pass these to the dealer to do a fix? Or get an idea of what the ECU thinks the sensor codes on each wheel should be, and reprogram these ones on the vehicle to match?

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:35 AM
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone in here may help, as I have a TPMS issue with my Gren. I took delivery of it the other day, and have had "TPMS Sensor Failure" the entire time.

What I think has happened is tyres and rims from another Gren in the shop were swapped with the ones on my vehicle (mine had steelies, but I wanted alloy rims), but the sensors in each were not kept with each original vehicle. Thus, the sensors that are now in my vehicle aren't recognised.

Is there a way to get these sensors recognised / learnt by the Gren, without having to pull the wheels off, break beads, check sensor numbers, and pass these to the dealer to do a fix? Or get an idea of what the ECU thinks the sensor codes on each wheel should be, and reprogram these ones on the vehicle to match?
You have to take it back to the dealer and have the TPMS codes reprogramed with dealer software.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score

Unfortunately no way to fix yet that I know of apart from what @Lars says above.

The agent may well have a scanner that can recognise the sensors without having to break the beads. The real bugger is they only have the software/hardware to update the Grenadier's computer and everyone else is left pissing in the wind.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
The sensors can be read with a generic scanner ie autel, but programming the computer requires a trip to the dealer.

TahoeGren

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:35 AM
Reaction score
I got the Autel sensors for a second set of wheels and they work. I had an old TS408 and after a firmware upgrade, it supports the Grenadier. Copying the IDs were easy.

I’m getting an intermittent issue with the spare tire. Sometimes one of the rear tires on the screen would connect with the spare tire. I remounted the spare such that the valve stem is now at the top, but it still randomly becomes one of the rear tires. Not really an issue but thought I’d mention it. I never had this issue with the original sensors.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:35 PM
Reaction score
I got the Autel sensors for a second set of wheels and they work. I had an old TS408 and after a firmware upgrade, it supports the Grenadier. Copying the IDs were easy.

I’m getting an intermittent issue with the spare tire. Sometimes one of the rear tires on the screen would connect with the spare tire. I remounted the spare such that the valve stem is now at the top, but it still randomly becomes one of the rear tires. Not really an issue but thought I’d mention it. I never had this issue with the original sensors.
I saw the same issue yesterday. I am on firmware version ...2940 which is the GPS/Carplay fix version in Australia. (which I received maybe 3 weeks ago).

Now after the software update I had the wheels somehow move and be out of place on the console (Make a note: after software update a dealer initiated relearn is good - I got one on my 1 year service on Monday when they rotated the wheels, so start of the day everything was perfect).

I was taking the caravan down for a service, and I inflated the rear tyres before I left to 49psi cold. Warnings came up when I drove off, I ran a cold pressure reset, all warnings gone. 1st positive I can now set a wider range of cold pressure! Yeah! Haven't tested low pressures yet. But this makes caravan towing so much more pleasant!

(That is until the amber fuel alert came up at the 35-40% full mark on the gauge, (so I dropped caravan off and went in search of fuel just to satiate the warning, 66 litres of fuel later indicates the gauge % is still a little inaccurate, but the yellow warning is still way early using estimated range supposedly at 100kms - so when towing at 17.6l/100kms on the way down meant I should have had 130kms range from actual fuel top-up measurement so 30kms later would have been nicer).

So I was towing with tyres running at 51psi and had no TPMS warnings for the first 100kms of travel had dropped off the caravan and filled up with Fuel at Miami and now kicking round Burleigh Heads when a TPMS alert came up on the right rear to say it was below pressure at 38psi. So, did I have a rear tyre losing pressure suddenbtly down to 38psi? No. I stopped whipped out the TPMS tool and electronically read the rear tyres - both TPMS sensors giving 340 and 334kPa (circa 51psi for both according to the gauge), so tyres were ok, pressure ok. And for the OCD types yes I use different units deliberately, I get a more accurate read on kPa than psi because psi doesn't show decimals and the 1psi unit is a bit low resolution (Could have used a tyre gauge which has psi with decimals, but you get less dirty with the Autel TPMS single sensor read).

So it looks like it the Grenadier had configured in the spare on the fly... as I had three wheels at 38-40psi and one at 51psi.
Doesn't show you the sensor IDs on the monitor, but I can be pretty confident that the onboard ones had crept up from cold pressure of 36psi).

So I continued driving then it the TPMS monitor moved on to having no response from the right rear wheel "--" , and then 40kms later halfway back from the Gold Coast to Brisbane, the TPMS monitor went back to reading the rotating wheels, and gave me two tyres with correct temps and pressure for the rears well above the front tyres. All good again.

Now sensors when stationary (not rotating) occasionally send in a reading (supposedly every 5-10m unless triggered), but rotating they should be sending in a reading every 30s....

So the TPMS software on the Grenadier still needs a bit of work, I've also had wheels go offline fairly frequently (so Grenadier is not always picking up the TPMS signal. So maybe it needs a re-think.

Other car manufacturers place multiple readers around the car so that they can also use patterns to place sensors and learn new sensors without requiring a manual relearn.

And an OBD relearn procedure available for third party tools like the Autel would be fantastic so you don't have to go into a dealer (or like me reprogram Autel sensors to put the wheels in the right place).

Regds Doug.

Back
Top Bottom