The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Electrics & Towing Socket Wiring

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:27 PM
Reaction score
Hi have you actually used your trailer?... I have a 13 to 7 flat and I am receiving a Tail Light Error but the lights are fine...might have to call the agents on this one...anyone suffering the same in Oz?
I have yet to physically connect it - that may be a few days away until I get around to it.
In theory the 13 pin to 7 large round adaptor has the correct pin connections. My trailer is LED’s (replaced the bulb lights ages ago) and wired straight into the 7 pin large round without any diodes or other fancy electrics! It worked fine on the old Defender which I also converted to all LED’s - just had to change the indicator flasher can so they flashed at correct speed and the dash trailer indicator light worked.
I’ll let you know when I try it.

Reactions: Max

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:27 AM
Reaction score
Is it a quality 13 to 7? cheapy ones don't have the left and right side/tail light diodes in place.. causes a fault..
I am using the same brand Ineos is suggesting Narva...the agents are sending my query and alerts through to Ineos...I will keep you all posted thanks

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score

Eric asked me if the lights are Leds.​

Yes they are but a retro fit.
All LEDs and not mixed with normal bulbs? I'd be interested in knowing if any grenadier owner is towing with full LEDs. Other marques L/R, Mercedes in particular can have issues when towing with full LEDs. One of my trailers has fully LEDs and I have had to install " dummy " lights to make my discovery 4 recognise it

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All LEDs and not mixed with normal bulbs? I'd be interested in knowing if any grenadier owner is towing with full LEDs. Other marques L/R, Mercedes in particular can have issues when towing with full LEDs. One of my trailers has fully LEDs and I have had to install " dummy " lights to make my discovery 4 recognise it
It should be simple but a different world today...I will keep you posted on my findings;)

Reactions: PBD

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi have you actually used your trailer?... I have a 13 to 7 flat and I am receiving a Tail Light Error but the lights are fine...might have to call the agents on this one...anyone suffering the same in Oz?
Just hooked up my trailer to the Grenny with 13 pin euro to 7 pin large round adaptor and tested all lights - everything working perfectly - even had the trailer indicator light come up (which I didn‘t know was there until now) on the idiot light panel. No warnings at all. 👏

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is full LED’s - works perfectly and recognised as trailer flasher comes up on panel when indicators are activated.

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m not sure what era your Disco may be, but from memory (which is old and scratchy) on my ’96 Defender I had to change the indicator can to get the trailer indicator light to come up on the dash - the normal one needed too much juice to work correctly - the replacement was made for LED’s.

Local time
Reaction score
Just hooked up my trailer to the Grenny with 13 pin euro to 7 pin large round adaptor and tested all lights - everything working perfectly - even had the trailer indicator light come up (which I didn‘t know was there until now) on the idiot light panel. No warnings at all. 👏
This must mean that Westfalia adapter has diodes inside for the tailights to stop feedback to the vehicle's system, and must also join the separate left & right tailight feeds from the Euro socket. (y)

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It is advertised for BMW Audi VW Mercedes so could have all sorts of things inside to deal with them! I’m lost with all this new fangled stuff that “talks” to this and that - I could do anything with 12V BC (Before Computers) - so glad this worked me - I’d be lost otherwise. 🙄

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes I have a unit installed on my camper trailer so that my D3 was able to recognize

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
It should be simple but a different world today...I will keep you posted on my findings;)
Since it appears from others it is compatible with full trailer LEDs (and the vehicle is full LEDs) it is looking like the adapter, or the infamous gremlins.

Reactions: Max
Local time
Reaction score
I've purchased a 12 pin flat to 13 pin round in anticipation for when I take delivery of my IG:

Don't know if they incorporate any diodes but hope it works. They also do 7 pin flat to 13 pin round adaptors: https://www.vanline.com.au/shop/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=13 pin&page=4
Contacted Vanline and they confirmed that there are blocking diodes installed in the 13pin’s park circuits to maintain isolation

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I bought a 'voltage' branded 13pin to 7pin from autobarn l. FYI the diodes seems to be wired in reverse. (Allows flow from 7 pin to 13). Swap them around and working perfectly.
Otherwise going from led grenadier to halogen bulbs on trailer is playing havoc.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just got the email today about the towing issue. Hopefully will hear from my dealer soon!

Attachments

• IMG_0387.jpeg
    IMG_0387.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 92

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all
My new to me Trialmaster had already been converted to 12 pin plug. When I plugged it into my camper, it all seemed to work (not towing with it just yet) but the trailer error light came up as well when indicating. Ive been reading up about diodes but that might be beyond me. The brake controller seemed to light up as well. The bit that concerns me is the white green wire clamped not connected in the big connection plug. According to this it should be tail lights? My trailer does have LEDlights but only a seven pin plug if that matters. Any advice appreciated. Otherwise i will try to find an auto elec in townsville that will touch a grenadier....
Thanks
Pedro

Last edited:

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here are the images. Also the doubled anderson. Trying to work out the source of that next

Attachments

• 20240105_171147.jpg
    20240105_171147.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 65
  • 20240105_171027.jpg
    20240105_171027.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 51
  • 20240105_170542.jpg
    20240105_170542.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom