The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Electrics & Towing Socket Wiring

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
Pin 9 is permanently live?
Yes, but if I wire that to the trailer battery it will work for charging but if I forget to disconnect the plug and go to tip the trailer it will blow the fuse guaranteed. And sooner or later I will forget. Or I will forget to reconnect the wires after tipping and end up driving with no trailer lights. The NATO plug should work fine and it will handle the current.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes this was always my fear, and will be worse with the disconnect here in Oz. I hope they're flying out a software guy to train up the dealers here.
Your man Justin H seems far more proactive in the fledgling Grenadier community there; but he is just one person.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think a grovelling apology will be incoming as I don’t think this will be an easy fix. The last part of the towing loom will be a plug and play unit, they usually are. I can’t see that they would run 13 wires off the main loom only to put 10 wires in the plug in towing extension. I’d guess that there will be no way to rectify this…
Don't suppose they wrote you the reply you can post up?

Got to feel for agents, I wonder if some of them are wondering what they have got into, especially as Ineos seem to want to hide from any direct contact with their customers.

I'm sure you'll keep us posted but who is he? 👍
He was the head of VIP deliveries, no reply yet so perhaps he’s moved? Confirmation was with customer services, by phone, who confirmed full 13 pin plug. Also confirmed power inverter was no longer being fitted, that annoyed me but I decided to continue and paid the next £2050. I nearly cancelled when ineos reneged on the Thatcham 1 qualification. With hindsight I wish I had trusted my instincts on Ineos Automotive 😡. JT Hughes have been excellent, though most of the time in the same boat as me!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So dug out my Brian James Operator's handbook as it was off for a service today and noticed with schematic which is probably helpful to this thread:
001.jpg

And had an interesting conversation with the trailer dealer who told me the wiring looms for trailer sockets were bought as 7 core, 10 core or 13 core and it was quite common for the unscrupulous towbar fitters to quote for a 13 pin plug but only use 7 core cable to obtain a price advantage over their competitors.

Also the 13 core cable was quite a bit more expensive.

So did Ineos always intend to do this, or the buyer bought the wrong cable because the engineer did not specify the 13 core, or the cost engineer down spec'd it to help hit his KPI?

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They sat round a table and cut corners on this and loads of other issues!

Zimbo80

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:30 PM
Reaction score
On an aside, and you may have answered this in another thread, do you have any power to your 'Nato' two pin plug, I read somewhere some people had no power at all?
You have to activate switch on overhead panel for this to have power

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You have to activate switch on overhead panel for this to have power
Yes, but even having done this, the circuit is not energised for those without the integrated winch fitted.

If you stand inside the rear doors on the right, you can hear the Albright relay "clunk" when someone turns the 500A switch on.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:30 PM
Reaction score
13 pin to 7 pin flat plug/ Anderson plugs
When collecting the vehicle the other day, the agent advised that Ineos Australia are proposing to offer a conversion from the 13 pin to 7 pin flat plug common in Australia. Another option will be a heavy duty Anderson-type connector along side the 7-pin connector for caravan and trailer connection....
He also mentioned that DIY (infotainment) software upgrades were under active consideration to reduce the need for multiple vehicles requiring constant visits to smaller dealerships for minor fixes. I'm supposing this might be accomplished via the data USB sockets located in the cubby.
Whatever, they're both welcome developments.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When collecting the vehicle the other day, the agent advised that Ineos Australia are proposing to offer a conversion from the 13 pin to 7 pin flat plug common in Australia. Another option will be a heavy duty Anderson-type connector along side the 7-pin connector for caravan and trailer connection....
He also mentioned that DIY (infotainment) software upgrades were under active consideration to reduce the need for multiple vehicles requiring constant visits to smaller dealerships for minor fixes. I'm supposing this might be accomplished via the data USB sockets located in the cubby.
Brilliant if true

Reactions: PBD

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
I've wondered what will be offered in NA, as the 13-pin is not standard. We use a 7-pin round.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
I've wondered what will be offered in NA, as the 13-pin is not standard. We use a 7-pin round.
They can do a 13 pin round and US buys a 13 to 7 pin adapter. There around 20 bucks.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's interesting to note what is available via the full CAD-IT suite of tools:
Screenshot_20230722_185443.jpg
Screenshot_20230722_185830.jpg

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just asked my agent and he said he was not aware of any of this.

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got one of these which arrived today from the Sunny Coast - good solid twist in connection and works perfectly for my 7pin large connector.

Attachments

• IMG_4945.png
    IMG_4945.png
    401.1 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: PBD
Local time
Reaction score
I got one of these which arrived today from the Sunny Coast - good solid twist in connection and works perfectly for my 7pin large connector.
If you get a chance can you post a photo of it plugged into the Euro on the vehicle.

Reactions: Max
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry Mark - not the best photo - trying to take photos in the dark - anyway should give you the idea - very secure and neat
Great thanks, that was quick. 👍
Yes it looks ideal, I can see now how the Euro cover sits on that top piece, I couldn't work out what that bit was for.

Geez, not a lot of room for the R-clip there on the hitch pin. 😟

Local time
Reaction score
Yes, but even having done this, the circuit is not energised for those without the integrated winch fitted.

If you stand inside the rear doors on the right, you can hear the Albright relay "clunk" when someone turns the 500A switch on.
Can. you get your NATO plug to work in carwash mode I can

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
Sorry Mark - not the best photo - trying to take photos in the dark - anyway should give you the idea - very secure and neat.
Hi have you actually used your trailer?... I have a 13 to 7 flat and I am receiving a Tail Light Error but the lights are fine...might have to call the agents on this one...anyone suffering the same in Oz?

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi have you actually used your trailer?... I have a 13 to 7 flat and I am receiving a Tail Light Error but the lights are fine...might have to call the agents on this one...anyone suffering the same in Oz?
Is it a quality 13 to 7? cheapy ones don't have the left and right side/tail light diodes in place.. causes a fault..

Reactions: Max
Back
Top Bottom