The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tool kit

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:37 PM
Reaction score
If it’s prone to leaking then another reason not to get for me. The high lift jack has its flaws but is easy to fix. You just have to make sure you are well versed and practised with it prior to having to use it in a real life situation. If you follow the correct procedures of use such as parking the handle in the upright position especially when shifting the lever from lift to lower , then they are fine.
I have premium roadside assistance so I will just call them if I get a flat

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There is so much negative stuff about high lift jacks on the internet/utube. But just like many other things such as jump starting a car with jump leads or using a winch. You have to follow set procedures and be fully conversant with your equipment. I think the high lift jack is a far more versatile and simplistic bit of kit. It’s far less likely to let you down than a hydraulic jack 👍🏼
The problem with social media is one person has a problem with something once, and by the time 40,000 people have watched the video and shared it, 10,000 people have had the problem.
Strange part is of the 10,000 only 5 have probably ever really had the problem.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:37 PM
Reaction score
What does one of Ineos Automotive Technical Support Engineers keep in his tool kit?

"A new project for the all-new off road/utility vehicle the Grenadier was instigated in early 2018.

Automotive Tools and Supplies were very pleased ...
Looks like an ad for one of the 'all-in-one' boxes you can buy at Aldi - though the quality might differ.

Professional road assistance organisations like the ADAC are already well equipped, and workshops as well. Therefore, I wonder for whom this is intended?

This may leave only those who apparently have never bought a tool and therefore need everything new and complete. But I'm afraid it won't help with such people, as they often don't even know which side to touch the soldering iron on.

My tools are the result of a selection process that has now lasted almost 50 years. And yet I still sell or give away things that do not meet my requirements or are simply superfluous.

A set, no matter what kind, cannot reflect that. And a lot of colorful pictures and text don't change that.

PS: As a prime member of the ADAC, I will within the D-A-CH countries only carry my mobile phone, my Victorinox SwissTool CS Plus 3.0339.N and my two KnipEx "Zangenschlüssel" with me - along with my Brymen BM 257s. Not to forget my mastercard.

For other countries I will put together from my workshop the things that I am also prepared to use.

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Often, the older the car the bigger the bag carrying tools & spare parts.

Taking a 56 year car on a 3 day 1,000km road trip (Melbourne to Sydney) I had a large international travel suitcase full of stuff

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I guess it contained the selection of what you have found to be useful. And some gaskets, duck tape, zip ties and wires as well. ;-)

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks like an ad for one of the 'all-in-one' boxes you can buy at Aldi - though the quality might differ.

Professional road assistance organisations like the ADAC are already well equipped, and workshops as well. Therefore, I wonder for whom this is intended?

This may leave only those who apparently have never bought a tool and therefore need everything new and complete. But I'm afraid it won't help with such people, as they often don't even know which side to touch the soldering iron on.

My tools are the result of a selection process that has now lasted almost 50 years. And yet I still sell or give away things that do not meet my requirements or are simply superfluous.

A set, no matter what kind, cannot reflect that. And a lot of colorful pictures and text don't change that.

PS: As a prime member of the ADAC, I will within the D-A-CH countries only carry my mobile phone, my Victorinox SwissTool CS Plus 3.0339.N and my two KnipEx "Zangenschlüssel" with me - along with my Brymen BM 257s. Not to forget my mastercard.

For other countries I will put together from my workshop the things that i am also prepared to use.
I think this was the 'best guess' road assist tool kit the Ineos techs carried in remote areas during the engineering development phase.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

For other countries I will put together from my workshop the things that I am also prepared to use.
We had with some friends breakdown offroad and next road was 20km away. No ADAC will go there. We tow away the car offroad the 20km, for us big fun, for the owner of the car was it the sudden dead of his holiday. The next „repair point“ needed 7 days for spare part and set up the car.

But sure the tool kit is for the „flying doctors“ and not the normal car user.
I personal have the leatherman and some additional tools to change the wheels in case of…. And hopefully a mobilephone connection.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I've made up a moderate kit to cover all bases on my bevy of old cars. Unfortunately I've never broken down, so haven't needed to use them.
Nor the hi vis vest , various types of gloves , flashing light for the roof...
I do prepare and maintain my cars well though.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:37 PM
Reaction score
Check out the price of the ARB Jack. You may want to revert to a high lift jack, bearing in mind the amount of times you will actually use it.
I really like those ARB jacks but can’t justify the price personally 👍🏼
Hi-lift jacks have their place, as long as you can "place" them. Many off road adventurers are mounting high lift jacks on their 4x4 without thinking if it can be used on their vehicle. Many new vehicles have no receiver to use them. Makes for an additional 20+kgs of dead weight.

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour à tous
Le High Lift est très pratique pour changer les ressorts sur un DEF.
On met la voiture sur un cric rouleur, on enlève la roue, on met le cric High Lift, on soulève la caisse de la voiture, on descend le pont avec le cric rouleur et le ressort sort tout seul.
UN l'avant, c'est un peu compliqué...

1673869733072.png

20220907_110443 High Lift.jpg

20220907_110645_High Lift.jpg

20220908_153506 High Lift.jpg

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm with you - I don't like the Hi-Lift jack. You can use it as a "come-along" and it is a long-serving standby, but I'd much prefer the ARB. But yeah, super-pricey, and - it needs to be stored standing up (not lying down), or it starts to leak hydraulic fluid.

Note: the price is now $900 - inflation, yay.

View attachment 7800398

ARB Jack:

On Amazon:
I’ve had mine on its side for 3 years and it’s fine

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What was the cause? Which thing was broken?
Don‘t know the english Word: Massenschwungrad at VW Tourareg R5 , the wheel which drive everything at the engine.
Even with the flying doctor tools: Without spare part, you do nothing

Attachments

• FD099E60-1E03-4189-8821-CEFAABC99FBA.jpeg
    FD099E60-1E03-4189-8821-CEFAABC99FBA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • CCBCF340-612A-41A7-B018-121A57ACEAE1.jpeg
    CCBCF340-612A-41A7-B018-121A57ACEAE1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 23

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi-lift jacks have their place, as long as you can "place" them. Many off road adventurers are mounting high lift jacks on their 4x4 without thinking if it can be used on their vehicle. Many new vehicles have no receiver to use them. Makes for an additional 20+kgs of dead weight.
I'm with you - I don't like the Hi-Lift jack. You can use it as a "come-along" and it is a long-serving standby, but I'd much prefer the ARB. But yeah, super-pricey, and - it needs to be stored standing up (not lying down), or it starts to leak hydraulic fluid.

Note: the price is now $900 - inflation, yay.

View attachment 7800398

ARB Jack:

On Amazon:
Where are you seeing that it needs to be stored upright?

Expensive but I prefer it for safety reasons when overlanding internationally, same risk mitigation rationale applied with winching kit.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Correct, although I’d note that the primary use case is for recoveries. If you’re taking the vehicle into situations that recoveries (or track side repairs as per above video) may be necessary, then it would be wise to option the rock sliders. In which case problem solved, they are a suitable lifting point.

For wheel removal, the bottle jack below the (rigid) axle is a far simpler and safer solution.

If you might be rescuing others, including a jack mate in your kit will allow you to get a grab on most light vehicles… noting that it is a bit more sketchy with the ARB Jack than a mechanical farm jack as the ARB has no retaining pin provision on it’s lifting hook.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Don‘t know the english Word: Massenschwungrad at VW Tourareg R5 , the wheel which drive everything at the engine.
Even with the flying doctor tools: Without spare part, you do nothing
Although I wonder what can break on a flywheel besides the bearing and oil seal, ADAC wouldn't have even helped on the road. They probably would have just called a towing service, too.

Back
Top Bottom