The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tool kit

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:42 PM
Reaction score
Anyone whose worked on an old Landy (or old car in general) needs a set of these grippy sockets
Easier than propane torches , hacksaw blades+cold chisels and a dictionary of Teutonic swear words
Save the latter for when the bolt snaps

Attachments

• nut.jpg
    nut.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 104

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score
I've always been taught to use the best tool for the job and the general heirarchy was socket, ring, open ended.

Flame suit on...
Lack of experience is not a reason for flame wars.

On a motorcycle, you can not carry all the tools on a trip. Nuts, rings or other spanners in a dozen sizes are too much for a weekend trip (and even for longer trips).

The Knipex always has parallel jaws and allows you to apply a lot of force. As a "one does it all" tool, it has saved my day a few times. Not the right thing for tight corners, but for 80% of the situations where you just want to get to the next workshop.

And at home the big one is a great tool for plumbing-sizes which I simply don't have as regular wrenches.

For any other cases, mostly at home, I have and use my Hazet, Gedore and Dowidat things in almost any shape and size.

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:42 AM
Reaction score

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was planning to spend some Christmas loot on these - where are they made? I assumed Germany but one supplier said China. Admittedly I’m curious.
100% developed in Wuppertal Cronenberg, Germany, and introduced to the market in 1994… At that time I was working a few 100m beside the KNIPEX plant. It‘s still a production plant ! Maybe they source global, but with their quality rules and under their control. The cities Wuppertal, Solingen and Remscheid are well known for production of tools and cutleries since a long time.
Buy it, you will like it. I use it since several years and still the first one.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:42 AM
Reaction score
100% developed in Wuppertal Cronenberg, Germany, and introduced to the market in 1994… At that time I was working a few 100m beside the KNIPEX plant. It‘s still a production plant ! Maybe they source global, but with their quality rules and under their control. The cities Wuppertal, Solingen and Remscheid are well known for production of tools and cutleries since a long time.
Buy it, you will like it. I use it since several years and still the first one.
Just ordered a 2-pack that will be here next week. Hopefully they’ll find a happy home in my tool chest.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I bought the Knipex immediately after seeing this on the forum, and used it yesterday for the first time: fantastic tool.
I have a much simpler one, also from Knipex, always in my toolbox since many years, and was very happy with it, and will continue to use it too.

I only buy expensive tools when I know I will use them often enough.

PT70

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the question of what tools are included in the tool kit was ever answered, so attached is a photo I took today of the Grenadier's tool kit. The small, open ended spanner is 10 and 11mm, and the closed spanner is 13 and 17mm.

Attachments

• Tools.jpg
    Tools.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 86

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the question of what tools are included in the tool kit was ever answered, so attached is a photo I took today of the Grenadier's tool kit. The small, open ended spanner is 10 and 11mm, and the closed spanner is 13 and 17mm.
The usual bare minimum!
Wouldn't it be a nice touch to have Grenadier stamped into the forging?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The usual bare minimum!
Wouldn't it be a nice touch to have Grenadier stamped into the forging?
sure it would be. But that's quite expensive as you need the tools for it. A laser engravement could work.
Anyhow it is just a tool set.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
sure it would be. But that's quite expensive as you need the tools for it. A laser engravement could work.
Anyhow it is just a tool set.
My vintage Fiat and Mercedes-Benz spanners are cast/forged with the make. It's a nice touch. It's not that hard.
The Fiat bolt heads are also marked Fiat. At the time it was just a family car. "They don't make them like they used to!"

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My vintage Fiat and Mercedes-Benz spanners are cast/forged with the make. It's a nice touch. It's not that hard.
The Fiat bolt heads are also marked Fiat. At the time it was just a family car. "They don't make them like they used to!"
I would like it as well. But Fiat and Mercedes might have purchased some more of those sets than Ineos does.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
How many of us will actually use any of these particular tools, or put together our own bespoke kit, perhaps moved over from previously owned vehicles and supplemented/revised as necessary over the years.

It looks like more than the standard kit in the old Defender, but I'd have to check, as I don't think it's been opened in years?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
How many of us will actually use any of these particular tools,
Not me , however if they were inscribed I'd make an embossed leather tool roll and leave it agape when showing off the vehicle.
It's a classic car thing, and IMO the Grenadier is an instant classic.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think I’ll be getting a telescopic wheel nut wrench. I can see that one straining my back 👍🏼

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think I’ll be getting a telescopic wheel nut wrench. I can see that one straining my back 👍🏼
at least it's got an extension which is more to say for the rest! Regardless will carry a 2' breaker bar in 1/2" with impact socket(s). works a treat

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
at least it's got an extension which is more to say for the rest! Regardless will carry a 2' breaker bar in 1/2" with impact socket(s). works a treat
I've got a spare old (but quality) torque wrench I carry (carefully) in the vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom