The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Utility Belt

AWo

Local time
11:54 PM
Reaction score
I found these rails on the doors, except the ones in the back under the windows useless (I also never saw anyone who build such thing on his car and if someone would found that usefull, it had sure been done already).

It might look like "Camel Trophy" but...

... it makes it more likeliy to damage the doors in narrow sitiuations, as the "extension" of the door comes more close to the walls, rocks, trees, etc. That's why rock and treesliders are used, to keep the side of the car away from obstacles. Hanging stuff onto the door while driving is the opposite.
... using it with a net (to put recovery gear in, for example) will just pick up everything you come by and will leed to more scratches and tree branches entangled there...
... using it in a camp...to mount a table for example....at least with my familiy on tour, these doors are opened and closed every 5 miutes. No way to mount somethuing there.
... using it with a solid load, like a can, can lead to something get trapped between can and door and damage, scratshes etc. again....
... dirt trap and humidity trap

Carrying more load on tracks (or maybe streets if legal) could be a point where it might be usefull, water tanks for example (I don't think fuel is not the best idea in case of someone crashing into the side of the car).

And, mountung these rails with minor practically needs special tools to create the door profile, rust protection, additional work für mountung, weight...etc. And the door hinges must proof to be able to handle additional load here.

Cheers
AWo

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:54 PM
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I don't want roof windows and N1 class therefore my only option was Trialmaster in my country. I still think about replace them by original rubber bumpers but this looks promisingly to save some money ;)
Some things don’t seem to make sense at the time, but when you start using it, you will likely be quite happy. A bit like WhatsApp in preference to texting. Hard to explain why it’s more useful, it just is. 🤷‍♂️

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I found these rails on the doors, except the ones in the back under the windows useless (I also never saw anyone who build such thing on his car and if someone would found that usefull, it had sure been done already).

... it makes it more likeliy to damage the doors in narrow sitiuations, as the "extension" of the door comes more close to the walls, rocks, trees, etc. That's why rock and treesliders are used, to keep the side of the car away from obstacles. Hanging stuff onto the door while driving is the opposite.
... using it with a net (to put recovery gear in, for example) will just pick up everything you come by and will leed to more scratches and tree branches entangled there...
... using it in a camp...to mount a table for example....at least with my familiy on tour, these doors are opened and closed every 5 miutes. No way to mount somethuing there.
... using it with a solid load, like a can, can lead to something get trapped between can and door and damage, scratshes etc. again....

Carrying more load on tracks (or maybe streets if legal) could be a point where it might be usefull, water tanks for example (I don't think fuel is not the best idea in case of someone crashing into the side of the car).

And, mountung these rails with minor practically needs special tools to create the door profile, rust protection, additional work für mountung, weight...etc. And the door hinges must proof to be able to handle additional load here.

Cheers
AWo
Hope you didn’t order them on your vehicle 😁 Like you I am especially interested in having the track under the rear side windows. That, so far is where I see them being really useful. I can see the other rails being handy at a drive in cinema. Somewhere for the shake and 🍔? 😁

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score

Cheers
AWo
Park
Take table out of rear and fix it to the door.
Make lunch
Make coffee
Take table off and put it back away.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I didn’t bother with them, I can’t see much use for them, and I figured anything you put on therm would likely obscure the view of your trailer. Maybe a second spare wheel on the rear panel if overlanding… maybe..

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I didn’t bother with them, I can’t see much use for them, and I figured anything you put on therm would likely obscure the view of your trailer. Maybe a second spare wheel on the rear panel if overlanding… maybe..
I don't like eating inside vehicles and as this will be a work truck I need somewhere to put a laptop (it appears someone has relocated my lap) when I need to do a bit of work between customers.
A quick awning, some detachable tables, fold out chair, fridge in the back and something to make a good espresso

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I don't like eating inside vehicles and as this will be a work truck I need somewhere to put a laptop (it appears someone has relocated my lap) when I need to do a bit of work between customers.
A quick awning, some detachable tables, fold out chair, fridge in the back and something to make a good espresso
That does sound like the perfect outdoor office. Do you have any experience when it comes to "something to make a good espresso"?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That does sound like the perfect outdoor office. Do you have any experience when it comes to "something to make a good espresso"?
Not in a 4wd outdoor setting
I was hoping someone on here has good recommendations
I don't want to go down the path of an inverter and coffee machine
My wife drinks tea so need something she can use also

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Actually one of those little gas canister burners and a billy is probably the fastest most convenient way to boil water on the go. 12v kettles are painful.View attachment 7806262
We use a cheap inverter and a collapsible kettle. But have several other options as well!

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Park
Take table out of rear and fix it to the door.
Make lunch
Make coffee
Take table off and put it back away.
My table #1 is in the rear door.
Park.
Open door, table ready, no need to carry anything anywhere.
Table #2 is on the sand boards under the awning, just lower them, done. Even no need to carry an extra table.

Where is the benefit of hanging it somewhere?
Why don't use the rails in the rear if you want to hang a table?
Awnings do not cover front doors.

Cheers
AWo

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What I like about the utility belt is that it is a blank canvas for people’s imagination. I don’t 100% know what I will do with mine yet, but looking forward to seeing what creative minds come up with. I like the door table and rear molle panel that Black Sheep have come up with already. Give this group and the aftermarket a year or two and I bet we see some very interesting things

Back
Top Bottom