The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Hunters Corner Rod n Gun Club Topics

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
I'd go .243, I did have a .270 but I dislike being beaten up but of course depends what the target is.
I love the .270, bit harsh but can come down the grn a bit to make it less like an abusive partner you keep returning too!

.243 of course is a fantastic calibre, UK stocks more rounds of that than any other.

now, 30-06 is another rabbit hole.......

campfire chat

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:57 AM
Reaction score
I'd go .243, I did have a .270 but I dislike being beaten up but of course depends what the target is.
Hm.. never had too much use of these.. In Germany the minimum for Boar is E100 2000j and minimum bore 6.5mm .. roe deer must have 1000J on E100 ((E100 = energy in 100metres distance from muzzle) Predators and varmint is not regulated. The only exception are shotgun slugs. When hunting I use a Blaser R8 .308 with partial over barrel suppressor plus thermal vision plug on .. til now the rifle lies in the rear footwell the other rifles I use is a R93 in .17HMR or a modified SIG516 what many hunters here spat on. Because it’s an infamous black rifle .. but it does the job perfect on raccoons and other pest in a distance where the .17 is not anymore suitable and the .308 is way overpowered. .. but all 3 should fit on this shelf and quite invisible. Is this the only rack currently available for long guns? I considered it as a normal top shelf not as a dedicated gun rack with locks and barrel / stock clamps

Kilchoman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes it is a normal top rack and not a dedicated rifle rack, yes there are others!

Deer are an introduced species in Australia so tend to be governed only by a code of ethics unless you are in a Sate Forest but each Sate has different laws! Suppressors are not legal in Aus, absolutely ridiculous in my view though in NSW a professional vermin control hunter can apply for one. Queensland rules where they are banned are under review. Wild boar are often shot from helicopters but the controlled use of 1080 is highly effective, Sodium fluoroacetate, a very, very unpleasant poison.
We have, Fallow, Red, Chital, Hog, Rusa and Sambar deer the latter I think I am correct in saying down in Victoria. For those that like a real adrenaline rush there are Water Buffalo up north!
@klarie your German restrictions are interesting, one day I will buy a R8, maybe 6.5 PRC barrel to start with. (I used a Zeiss thermal clip on for pigs at night)

Last edited:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes it is a normal top rack and not a dedicated rifle rack, yes there are others!

Deer are an introduced species in Australia so tend to be governed only by a code of ethics unless you are in a Sate Forest but each Sate has different laws! Suppressors are not legal in Aus, absolutely ridiculous in my view though in NSW a professional vermin control hunter can apply for one. Queensland rules where they are banned are under review. Wild boar are often shot from helicopters but the controlled use of 1080 is highly effective, Sodium fluoroacetate, a very, very unpleasant poison.
We have, Fallow, Red, Chital, Hog, Rusa and Sambar deer the latter I think I am correct in saying down in Victoria. For those that like a real adrenaline rush there are Water Buffalo up north!
@klarie your German restrictions are interesting, one day I will buy a R8, maybe 6.5 PRC barrel to start with. (I used a Zeiss thermal clip on for pigs at night)
The regulations on both night vision and suppressors were slightly softened only a few years ago. The topic of energy on rifle rounds are about no cruelty on animals etc. This applies to hoofed game in Germany only. Meaning E100 1000J on roe but no bore size, anything else .. boar, red deer bore 6.5mm minimum and E100 2000J was established long ago. Suppressors are legal for rifles that match the hoofed game regulation. Suppressors are generally not illegal and never were, however the requestor must present a profound reason to get permission. This was usually for normal hunting and sports never granted. Forrester, gunsmiths, hunters that are professional and eg with a license in urban areas, parks and cemeteries could eventually apply for one, even for pistols.
The EU however imposed a regulation on noise that must be suppressed at source of origin. Still suppressors need permission on rimfires and any other type of centerfire round and of course any handgun. In the past when I discussed this with gun authority.. I was told we do not want James Bond style assassins wandering around. I asked then have you ever heard how a suppressed weapon sounds?
For sure it’s not like in a bond film. Not even a subsonic.22lr
In Norway any suppressor can be purchased w/o permission and it’s considered rude to shoot w/o one. In other countries around Germany thermal scopes with integrated cross hairs are permitted.. not detachable devices. Back to Grenadier.. what I wants a solution where I can store and lock away my rifles in accessible but unloaded state but also with removed suppressor or scope and a box where sensitive stuff like optics or handguns can be easy stored out of sight of prying eyes. As of now, I have not found any add on that meets my needs

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:57 PM
Reaction score
Looking for a cargo bay locking gun carrier/safe that also creates a flat (at least flat-ish) surface with the 2nd row folded down. Ideal is at least 2 guns, ammunition and scope. If it were on a sliding tray, even better. Anyone see anything out there?

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
Looking for a cargo bay locking gun carrier/safe that also creates a flat (at least flat-ish) surface with the 2nd row folded down. Ideal is at least 2 guns, ammunition and scope. If it were on a sliding tray, even better. Anyone see anything out there?
Maybe look at Diabolical, inc? Their drawer system is something I will eventually add.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe look at Diabolical, inc? Their drawer system is something I will eventually add.

That looks like a good option - anyone hear if Buzz Overland is considering a gun shelf/lock case?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What I am interested in would be a vertical Clamp system like we used to have in the military. Perhaps adjustable or as I noticed once in a Pick Up in Arizona. The Rifle and Shotgun were clamped in the rear. when needed just click, release, grab. When I am checking my hunting grounds - I inspect a couple of places. So rifle in / rifle out a couple of times.

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Love Sako. I’ve got a few variants of their brother, the Tikka T3x. Smooth and accurate out of the box. Great stuff.
Sako for me too. Superb rifle. 243 for the deer and .22 and 17HMR interchangeable barrel for the vermin. TBH i keep the 17HNR attached all the time as a much better round. SAKO rounds for all suit best, very accurate.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
That looks like a good option - anyone hear if Buzz Overland is considering a gun shelf/lock case?

I don’t know if this is still being considered but @RyanT did mention that they were planning a gullwing door for the back of the IG, and then a lockable gun safe that would be accessible from the gullwing and would be mounted on the mid height rear shelf. However that was just over 12 months ago and nothing yet.

If you Yanks stopped buying all their goodies, they might have a b it of time to develop the new stuff 😂 👍

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t know if this is still being considered but @RyanT did mention that they were planning a gullwing door for the back of the IG, and then a lockable gun safe that would be accessible from the gullwing and would be mounted on the mid height rear shelf. However that was just over 12 months ago and nothing yet.

If you Yanks stopped buying all their goodies, they might have a b it of time to develop the new stuff 😂 👍
It’s called capitalism - if you Commies would read the Bible, the system Jesus created in the Transfiguration when He appeared with Ronald Reagan, Barry Goldwater and Friedrich Hayek.

Bayford

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It’s called capitalism - if you Commies would read the Bible, the system Jesus created in the Transfiguration when He appeared with Ronald Reagan, Barry Goldwater and Friedrich Hayek.
Peter Viereck might have been a better choice at the Transfiguration than Barry Goldwater - although you are probably right to have doers rather than thinkers there. I agree with your sentiments however

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Peter Viereck might have been a better choice at the Transfiguration than Barry Goldwater - although you are probably right to have doers rather than thinkers there. I agree with your sentiments however
I hope nobody would ever agree with my sentiments - I know I never do.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:57 PM
Reaction score
1724542867430.png
I was away in Perth, Western Australia for the last week.
I arrived at Perth Airport yesterday to fly home and security screening found a live .357 magnum round hidden way down in the lining of my carry on case.

Flashing lights, security, airport management and finally Australian Federal Police arrive.
Luckily I had my Concealable Firearms License on me, only trouble was that it was for Queensland not Western Australia.
After an hour of discussions they confiscated the round and gave me a receipt and a warning.

Strange part was last time I recall having a firearm or ammunition in that bag was about 2017.
I use a completely separate range bag to avoid this problem.

That bag has been with me on numerous local flights since 2017 and also international flights to Singapore, Germany, England, Switzerland, Finland and Sweden.
Luckily my flight was delayed so I still managed to get onto it.

The cops did have a joke that if I was in the US the cops probably would have shot me.

wolftimj

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7867704
I was away in Perth, Western Australia for the last week.
I arrived at Perth Airport yesterday to fly home and security screening found a live .357 magnum round hidden way down in the lining of my carry on case.

Flashing lights, security, airport management and finally Australian Federal Police arrive.
Luckily I had my Concealable Firearms License on me, only trouble was that it was for Queensland not Western Australia.
After an hour of discussions they confiscated the round and gave me a receipt and a warning.

Strange part was last time I recall having a firearm or ammunition in that bag was about 2017.
I use a completely separate range bag to avoid this problem.

That bag has been with me on numerous local flights since 2017 and also international flights to Singapore, Germany, England, Switzerland, Finland and Sweden.
Luckily my flight was delayed so I still managed to get onto it.

The cops did have a joke that if I was in the US the cops probably would have shot me.
Depends what part of the US. Happens so often here that it’s almost cliche. Apparently the place you don’t want it to happen is Turks and Caicos.

Back
Top Bottom