The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Hunters Corner Rod n Gun Club Topics

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:38 PM
Reaction score
We don’t do “Elevensies” in the US. Too puritanical.
Pardon my bad English, but I do not understand “Elevensies”. Deepl declines to help with it as well. As I want to get the meaning of the sentence I ask for some guidance. Or maybe one of the German speaking colleagues here can translate it for me)

Local time
4:38 PM
Reaction score
Pardon my bad English, but I do not understand “Elevensies”. Deepl declines to help with it as well. As I want to get the meaning of the sentence I ask for some guidance. Or maybe one of the German speaking colleagues here can translate it for me)
In the United Kingdom on driven shoots, there is a pause between the second and third drives where a mid morning repast is presented. It includes wine, beer, soft drinks, light catered hand foods, cheese, fruit, possibly cake, And it is up to the individual to decide how much to consume.
The big take away is whether or not to consume alcohol during a Shooting day.

In the US, we generally do not stop mid morning for a lite meal with drinks.

When I am in the UK, I consume a little bit at “elevensies” mostly via toasts of friendship and thanking the host for the invitation. The alcohol is not required in any way.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
Hmmm, us boys in Arkansas just drink moonshine and eat deer jerky from morning to dawn while hunting all day. No breaks taken at all. Perhaps that is why we won the Revolutionary War. :)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:38 AM
Reaction score
The RR has the chill chest between the front seats.
We don’t do “Elevensies” in the US. Too puritanical.
I find two leather slips between the dog boxes meets all my firearm storage needs.
A friend of mine, “the seated gun” has dog boxes cut from HDPE sheet and folded up in his newest truck. See his site on YouTube.
In a Grenadier withe the big wheel well bumps in the back, the HDPE could be coped out adding several inches in box width, with no harm to the animals or their comfort.
I tend to have a rule of guns or alcohol.
Never both at the same time.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I tend to have a rule of guns or alcohol.
Never both at the same time.

Don’t come to the UK and shoot then. 😂

On driven days there is a serving of “aiming juice" after every drive. Always makes me smile that anywhere else it would be frowned upon and in any other firearms related situation it would be a big no-no.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
In relation to not having to break down a rifle or shotgun to store it in a Grenny, I have a net that is across the back seat, where I put my gun slip in, it goes straight behind the dog box as well and does a pretty good job of disguising the fact it’s there to a quick cursory glance of prying eyes.

Eventually I intend to build a platform to put the dog box and other luggage on, this will allow me to slide my shogun slip under the platform diagonally. Although not 100% secure (like the locking draws in my pickup) with both doors shut and stuff on the shelf/platform the gun will be totally hidden.

Tbh honest I am surprised no one has built something like this commercially already. The placement on the legs will be important as the full diagonal length of the back of the Grenny is needed.

Defender77

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is an interesting solution (from Google search) in what appears to be an older model Suburban. I need to carry several shotguns, but they all breakdown, so the full length is not a requirement. I do prefer 2 drawers, side by side, for my purposes.
Screenshot_20240827_223150_DuckDuckGo.jpg

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
firearms - and liquor or even light beer. will very likely make you unreliable according to German law -and perhaps you get removed any other license you might possess like reloading, and any driving license, car, aircraft ppl and boats that need one. This may also occur if you walk along from pub to home pixxed and e.g. walk over a red (stop) pedestrians traffic signal. Not neccessary resulting in an accident. They expect a firearms license owner to act responsible and in full control of senses. No one will hinder you to consume.. however you just need to know the risk. There are hunters drinking habits.. and certain traditional citizens militia shooters mimic military corps mostly related to catholic church.. are known for pretty hefty drinking habits. However most of these chaps do not even know how to handle a real firearm.. they usually carry mockups. The only thing they do is shoot a wooden bird using a mounted .22lr so the lad who puts the bird down after many shoots is called the shooter king and pays the party .. some went out of pocket due to this tradition.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:38 PM
Reaction score
The difference between a right that is yours and enshrined in law vs a permit which may be granted by the administrative state is well illustrated by your story.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The difference between a right that is yours and enshrined in law vs a permit which may be granted by the administrative state is well illustrated by your story.
Be lucky you live in the US. Even if California would not be be my first choice. I spent some time in Dublin and Palo Alto for training and monitoring IT projects .. Dianne Feinstein RIP and her opinion on Firearms.. at that time. W/o regret she is now at the right place. The US has perhaps constitutional right to own firearms and free speech. However arms law is different per county not that easy to travel.. x county / xstate and know each local rule.
Here .. As a matter of fact I wont get political. But currently we have stabbing habits in Germany .. so laws may affect hunters on cold arms.. got both knives and axe permanent om board my Grenadier .. and occasional a Stihl .. Wonder what happens if I need a chain saw carry permit too. Yesterday in my hunting are a couple of pedestrians around myself with Glock 23 and a Suppressed Blaser R8, Open carry of firarms is very rare in Germany.. they said nothing but raised eyebrows.. There were times where classic double barrel or K98 hanging on a coat hook in the corridor.. perhaps even loaded and ready.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
firearms - and liquor or even light beer. will very likely make you unreliable according to German law -and perhaps you get removed any other license you might possess like reloading, and any driving license, car, aircraft ppl and boats that need one. This may also occur if you walk along from pub to home pixxed and e.g. walk over a red (stop) pedestrians traffic signal. Not neccessary resulting in an accident. They expect a firearms license owner to act responsible and in full control of senses. No one will hinder you to consume.. however you just need to know the risk. There are hunters drinking habits.. and certain traditional citizens militia shooters mimic military corps mostly related to catholic church.. are known for pretty hefty drinking habits. However most of these chaps do not even know how to handle a real firearm.. they usually carry mockups. The only thing they do is shoot a wooden bird using a mounted .22lr so the lad who puts the bird down after many shoots is called the shooter king and pays the party .. some went out of pocket due to this tradition.
The concern I have is that we all know we can handle firearms safely after "just a couple of drinks".
Problem is that most don't know or remember what "just a couple of drinks" means.
I just don't take the risk because I don't need to.

We have random breath testing in Australia, which means cops can pull you over anytime for a test of alcohol in your system.
They also have large setups on the side of the road where they pull over every vehicle.

Prior to this most people used to take their chances and drive home very drunk.
Often they didn't make it home, or they did, but the person they ran over didn't.

Apparently I drove 28 people home from the pub one night in my Hilux.
Don't remember even driving home.
That was 40 years ago.

As with guns I take the same approach with cars and alcohol.
I just don't take the risk because I don't need to.

1725309191643.png1725309230124.png1725309429799.png1725309259852.png1725309288312.png

Last edited:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Apparently I drove 28 people home from the pub one night in my Hilux.
Don't remember even driving home.
That was 40 years ago.
I like honesty ...

Once, somewhere in 1989 I drove back home (while living in Ecuador) completely drunk, with my wife who proposed to drive (I refused, she never drove my car, and disliked driving!) one eye closed, and very slowly ...
It was not the only time I drove with one eye closed.
Am I proud ... not at all.
It were indeed other times.

Some days ago I had a gentle discussion with some people, some did agree, others not: I am in favor of zero tolerance like quite some countries already do (Hungary for instance), but not Belgium!

And I don't know why we should carry a weapon at all, but I am a Belgian.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I like honesty ...

Once, somewhere in 1989 I drove back home (while living in Ecuador) completely drunk, with my wife who proposed to drive (I refused, she never drove my car, and disliked driving!) one eye closed, and very slowly ...
It was not the only time I drove with one eye closed.
Am I proud ... not at all.
It were indeed other times.

Some days ago I had a gentle discussion with some people, some did agree, others not: I am in favor of zero tolerance like quite some countries already do (Hungary for instance), but not Belgium!

And I don't know why we should carry a weapon at all, but I am a Belgian.
I did the one eye thing many many times.
There is also no carrying guns in Australia and I totally support it.
It isn't needed and also one of the reasons the cops are more relaxed and friendly.

Defender77

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Back to the topic of rod-n-gun adventures in our Grenadiers, it looks like a broken down over/under or side-by-side might just fit front to back in the rear, whereas a semi auto shotgun broken down will not fit. To fit semi autos, it would mean 1 drawer with guns laid left to right.
Not ideal, but not awful.

Edit: After measuring, the O/U broken down barrels are under 30" long.
The seperated barrels of the autos are all under 34" long.
The rear area for my imagined drawers is ~42" wide by ~36" deep. I may be able to achieve (2) ~20" wide drawers by 34" clear deep.

We'll soon see...
20240711_184457.jpg20240711_184729.jpg20240521_173737.jpg

Last edited:

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The wood on that shotgun, especially the foregrip is really, really nice. Work of art!

Let me share my transportation tip. Not quite as nice as what has been discussed so far. I totally don't want to attract attention to firearms, should i transport any, so i have decided for a stealthy approach. A bit of misleading perhaps but this is my favorite transport bag.

Its a Wilson 3 tennis racket tennis bag. Fully padded interior. Has backstraps on it so you can carry it as a back pack. a broken down rifle fits perfectly in each compartment. I usually put them in a gun sock with both halves in each compartment if i'm carrying three rifles or if i'm only carrying one then i may put each piece in its own compartment.
The boot compartment is perfect for ammunition and a wipe down towel (i've put a bore snake in there is as well from time to time).

I rarely show anyone when i take the rifles out of the backpack, i don't wish to draw attention to it but this is what i do. I put a small TSA style lock on each compartment. Totally stealthy. You can ride your motorcycle to the range with this on your back and no one would think twice about it.

61mnvC9ZoVL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Jons

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is the setup I’m using this fall , the drawer is 35” which will fit a broken down SxS or O/U , and two intermediate crates on top .
Eric

Attachments

• IMG_2349.jpeg
    IMG_2349.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2351.jpeg
    IMG_2351.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37

ShootingCar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Jons that is a lovely set up. I hope to have a nice shooting brake set up similar later this week with my truck vault delivery.

Back
Top Bottom