The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Hunters Corner Rod n Gun Club Topics

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
Depends what part of the US. Happens so often here that it’s almost cliche. Apparently the place you don’t want it to happen is Turks and Caicos.
About 10 years ago I was stopped at airport when my bag tested positive for gunshot residue at a swipe test.
Since then I have kept anything firearms related separate.

About 40 years ago I caught a bus in Sydney to the firearms range in a tunnel under the Sydney Harbour bridge.
I got on and was walking up the aisle when the hinges broke on my briefcase.
A high Standard Citation, S&W Model 19 and about 400 rounds of .22 & .357 hit the bus floor.
A I crawled around the floor picking it up everyone else got off the bus.

That was amusing.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:30 PM
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
View attachment 7867704
I was away in Perth, Western Australia for the last week.
I arrived at Perth Airport yesterday to fly home and security screening found a live .357 magnum round hidden way down in the lining of my carry on case.

Flashing lights, security, airport management and finally Australian Federal Police arrive.
Luckily I had my Concealable Firearms License on me, only trouble was that it was for Queensland not Western Australia.
After an hour of discussions they confiscated the round and gave me a receipt and a warning.

Strange part was last time I recall having a firearm or ammunition in that bag was about 2017.
I use a completely separate range bag to avoid this problem.

That bag has been with me on numerous local flights since 2017 and also international flights to Singapore, Germany, England, Switzerland, Finland and Sweden.
Luckily my flight was delayed so I still managed to get onto it.

The cops did have a joke that if I was in the US the cops probably would have shot me.
The German federal police would be a little jealous of the ammunition. But in Germany it would be enough to lose the “reliability” of carrying firearms or to lose your hunting license.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
I arrived at Perth Airport yesterday to fly home and security screening found a live .357 magnum round hidden way down in the lining of my carry on case.

Flashing lights, security, airport management and finally Australian Federal Police arrive.
Luckily I had my Concealable Firearms License on me, only trouble was that it was for Queensland not Western Australia.
After an hour of discussions they confiscated the round and gave me a receipt and a warning.

Strange part was last time I recall having a firearm or ammunition in that bag was about 2017.

That bag has been with me on numerous local flights since 2017 and also international flights to Singapore, Germany, England, Switzerland, Finland and Sweden.

The cops did have a joke that if I was in the US the cops probably would have shot me.
Nah just a very extensive cavity search by some nonbinary they/them

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7867704

When I visited Australia in 1997 on my way back from Armingdale to Sydney I had my Bowie knife in the hand lugage. They didn't find it in Armingdale...
But when I accidentally existed the transfer area in the airport they screened me again on my way in and found the knife.
In those days they only informed me friendly that this was not allowed on the plane and that the would send it in an extra bag to London.
In London I found the bag with the knife on the belt next to my suitcase.
Those were the days before 9/11...

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
I transferred from a dive trip to Fiji though Sydney where I was going to stay for a few days. Upon entry they have those bag scanners and I got flagged for having a weapon. The weapon was my dive knife that is affixed to my BC. Maybe a 3-4" blade. I always dive with a knife after a friend got entangled in a fishing line at 10ft and could not untangle himself, ran out of air and died with his father who also got entangled trying to help.

The people insisted that I was importing a weapon and I was insisting that they are morons, a common kitchen store had far more dangerous knifes than my dive knife. After a few minutes of ridiculous arguing they got a senior manager to come over. He looked at my knife and said it's fine, let him in.

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi All, catching up on various threads and have come across this.
I started shooting as post retirement therapy a few years ago. I shoot competitive (not very well) Trap, Skeet, Five Stand and Sporting. I mainly use a Caesar Guerini Invictus Sporting with a Monte Carlo adjustable stock and an impact adjustable rib. I am looking at picking up a dedicated Skeet gun and a high rib trap gun. I'm learning towards a pair of used Beretta DT10s (or one receiver and different barrels/stocks to see if the skeet and trap bug bites hard before spending up. I have been rather ill with my Crohn's disease and haven't shot much recently and with significant muscle loss I may qualify to get a licence for a semi-auto which might make a nice Skeet gun. I could be described as having all the gear but not much of an idea - but as a the friend who got me into shooting says "It is a much fun as you can have with your pants on".

He has also got me started with rifle shooting, so far I have picked up a Ruger 22 for plinking and a Tikka 17HMR which I love to shoot at the range. I have now got my hunting licence for New South Wales but haven't gone out yet. I suspect I am a bit too squeamish to butcher anything. I have no qualms at all about killing for food or pest control, and would love to help get rid of foxes, rabbits, wild cats, dogs, pigs etc and deer if their a pest in the area. But butchering - I think is a step to far for me and I wouldn't want to take a deer and have the precious resource wasted. So if I take a game animal, my mate is going to have to butcher it (while I go hide in the tent and have drink). Oh I know I'll need to significantly up gun for deer and pigs.

Anyhow enjoying the thread and I haven't seen this here yet so for those that haven't seen it.

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I started shooting as post retirement therapy a few years ago. I shoot competitive (not very well) Trap, Skeet, Five Stand and Sporting. I mainly use a Caesar Guerini Invictus Sporting with a Monte Carlo adjustable stock and an impact adjustable rib. I am looking at picking up a dedicated Skeet gun and a high rib trap gun. I'm learning towards a pair of used Beretta DT10s (or one receiver and different barrels/stocks to see if the skeet and trap bug bites hard before spending up. I have been rather ill with my Crohn's disease and haven't shot much recently and with significant muscle loss I may qualify to get a licence for a semi-auto which might make a nice Skeet gun. I could be described as having all the gear but not much of an idea - but as a the friend who got me into shooting says "It is a much fun as you can have with your pants on".

He has also got me started with rifle shooting, so far I have picked up a Ruger 22 for plinking and a Tikka 17HMR which I love to shoot at the range. I have now got my hunting licence for New South Wales but haven't gone out yet. I suspect I am a bit too squeamish to butcher anything. I have no qualms at all about killing for food or pest control, and would love to help get rid of foxes, rabbits, wild cats, dogs, pigs etc and deer if their a pest in the area. But butchering - I think is a step to far for me and I wouldn't want to take a deer and have the precious resource wasted. So if I take a game animal, my mate is going to have to butcher it (while I go hide in the tent and have drink). Oh I know I'll need to significantly up gun for deer and pigs.

Anyhow enjoying the thread and I haven't seen this here yet so for those that haven't seen it.
184425358_1741816239334807_1881928244029619377_n.jpg

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I'm not too different from you. I have no joy or intent to kill things but shooting clays and paper is fun.

I have a very expensive zoli shotgun, fully engraved. Got it from a friend in a car club who was divorcing and didn't want the wife to get much money from the sale of the assets. I paid $500 for what probably is a $5k shotgun. I truly enjoy sporting clays with this rifle.

If you have them in Australia try the savage .17hmr. its truly amazing. I put a Nikon scope on it and I can put 2 bullets in the same hole at 100 yards. Not a whole lot of bullet besides target shooting but very enjoyable.

Last edited:

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not too different from you. I have no joy or intent to kill things but shooting clays and paper is fun.

I have a very expensive soli shotgun, fully engraved. Got it from a friend in a car club who was divorcing and didn't want the wife to get much money from the sale of the assets. I paid $500 for what probably is a $5k shotgun. I truly enjoy sporting clays with this rifle.

If you have them in Australia try the savage .17hmr. its truly amazing. I put a Nikon scope on it and I can put 2 bullets in the same hole at 100 yards. Not a whole lot of bullet besides target shooting but very enjoyable.
Are you a lefty? I am right handed but left eye dominant so I've learnt to shoot left handed, really restricts purchase options for shotguns where it makes a difference.

We do have Savage. I got the Tikka through a contact at Beretta as a LH at a good price so didn't really look much further.

I've been told that at up to 150m/y they have the energy to deal with small ferals eg cats, foxes. rabbits.

Oh did you mean Zoli? Almost bought a used one but the guy decided to keep it. Your right, more like 5K than 500.

pt888

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looking to have something like this fabricated for my Grenadier. My son & I made versions for our FJZ80 & 4Runner in the past.
Any of you have something similar??
View attachment 7867888
Exactly what I am working out. I want to engineer an option for when I have the back seat installed and when i have it out (which is the most common config). I also want to have a slide out tab;e long enough to work on the gun)s) and assemble the under and overs. I expect to make it out of marine play with potentially some aluminum bracing. Are the dividers ply and internally lined with marine carpet?

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:30 PM
Reaction score
Looking to have something like this fabricated for my Grenadier. My son & I made versions for our FJZ80 & 4Runner in the past.
Any of you have something similar??
View attachment 7867888
Now this is nice! Can you tell me the max length of a rifle you can put in the shelves? Am afraid they may be too short for hunting rifles.
Thanks!

Local time
Reaction score
I don’t think a drawer system allows for long guns lengthwise in a Grenadier
That pic is of a GMC Yukon, a behemoth 2x the size of a Grenadier.

Defender77

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly what I am working out. I want to engineer an option for when I have the back seat installed and when i have it out (which is the most common config). I also want to have a slide out tab;e long enough to work on the gun)s) and assemble the under and overs. I expect to make it out of marine play with potentially some aluminum bracing. Are the dividers ply and internally lined with marine carpet?
Now this is nice! Can you tell me the max length of a rifle you can put in the shelves? Am afraid they may be too short for hunting rifles.
Thanks!
The the short under lever action repeater is nice
I don’t think a drawer system allows for long guns lengthwise in a Grenadier
That pic is of a GMC Yukon, a behemoth 2x the size of a Grenadier.
Gentlemen, I apologize for the confusion. The photo in my post is from Google. I'm looking to build (actually, have built) one like it. I built a few in the past. Always had to knock-down shotguns - the whole gun did not fit in the space provided. I have seen full rifles diagonally in the drawer.
I like the 2-drawer, side by side design.

This is a one-drawer beauty w/ knock-down guns, and again, not mine.
Screenshot_20240826_124646_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I apologize for the confusion. The photo in my post is from Google. I'm looking to build (actually, have built) one like it. I built a few in the past. Always had to knock-down shotguns - the whole gun did not fit in the space provided. I have seen full rifles diagonally in the drawer.

View attachment 7868083
To me, a flat rear deck with dog boxes atop it, and the 7.5” below deck storage drawer is about all you can do.
You can still have a slide out cooking/inspection deck, but lockable gun storage in a non broken down condition is a hard no.
It looks cool to have your man take your guns out of a fitted drawer, with champagne flutes along side, but here in the states, that really isn’t how it’s done.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7868083
I love that. I'd like that and a separate bar insert for when it's time for a dram...

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It looks cool to have your man take your guns out of a fitted drawer, with champagne flutes along side, but here in the states, that really isn’t how it’s done.
Understood.
Than leave the guns on the backseat and just go for the champagne from the drawer.

Local time
Reaction score
Understood.
Than leave the guns on the backseat and just go for the champagne from the drawer.
The RR has the chill chest between the front seats.
We don’t do “Elevensies” in the US. Too puritanical.
I find two leather slips between the dog boxes meets all my firearm storage needs.
A friend of mine, “the seated gun” has dog boxes cut from HDPE sheet and folded up in his newest truck. See his site on YouTube.
In a Grenadier withe the big wheel well bumps in the back, the HDPE could be coped out adding several inches in box width, with no harm to the animals or their comfort.

Back
Top Bottom