The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
I drive a lot of different cars over the years, and sure I feel not one second unsafe in the Grenadier.
A lot of driver loose the ability to drive, because they follow the electronic assistant of the car. They don’t feel that they are not the driver anymore.
At the Grenadier you are the driver, but maybe that is „unsafe“
I let a colleague drive my Grenadier yesterday who is a good and regular driver of different cars and fire trucks. In the end of a curve with stone walls on both sides he intended to let the steering wheel go loose to go straight again. I informed him quite hectic that this idea would bring us in direct contact to the wall…
So if you are not aware of the untypical steering it definitely can be dangerous.
We all live in our bubble and know what to do. But it would be careless not to inform a new driver before he starts the engine!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
I let a colleague drive my Grenadier yesterday who is a good and regular driver of different cars and fire trucks. In the end of a curve with stone walls on both sides he intended to let the steering wheel go loose to go straight again. I informed him quite hectic that this idea would bring us in direct contact to the wall…
So if you are not aware of the untypical steering it definitely can be dangerous.
We all live in our bubble and know what to do. But it would be careless not to inform a new driver before he starts the engine!
Drive a 2005 Triton.... any steering is better!!!

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Drive a 2005 Triton.... any steering is better!!!
Yes I believe you!
But it is not an option to let all potential drivers first let drive a 2005 Triton (or L200 as it is named here) just to make them feel better in the Grenadier.
I prefer to give them a brief advice that the steering might be odd and that they need to steer back in curves.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:48 PM
Reaction score
I'm having a difficult time even understanding how this is even an issue? Someone cannot drive the Grenadier? A new manufacturer has delivered a vehicle with unsafe steering system? What?!

My IG test drive left me with one overwhelming feeling - it felt like my '96 Discovery - which my wife drove for 16 years despite the 2-inch lift, lack of sway bars, oversized tires and a roof rack.

What has the world come to?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm having a difficult time even understanding how this is even an issue? Someone cannot drive the Grenadier? A new manufacturer has delivered a vehicle with unsafe steering system? What?!

My IG test drive left me with one overwhelming feeling - it felt like my '96 Discovery - which my wife drove for 16 years despite the 2-inch lift, lack of sway bars, oversized tires and a roof rack.

What has the world come to?
You can drive a car without a problem, then you go out for some hours to a cart track with friends and leave afterwards with your own car on public streets.
Do you know this feeling when you have to realise that you are not on the track anymore?
It’s the same with the Grenadier. Many people in Europe have never driven a so called truck before. The big ones that are sold so good are not even distributed by the manufacturers in Europe (for good reasons I believe)
So nobody is to blame when he or she is not used to a steering that behaves different to everything know to them before.
I would not understand if someone says the car is not safe or it’s not possible to accustom to it. But I would never expect someone without truck experience to feel „at home“ with this steering from the first meter.

Local time
Reaction score

takei.gif

steering is just like churning butter

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I drive a lot of different cars over the years, and sure I feel not one second unsafe in the Grenadier.
A lot of driver loose the ability to drive, because they follow the electronic assistant of the car. They don’t feel that they are not the driver anymore.
At the Grenadier you are the driver, but maybe that is „unsafe“
On the test drive that I had, the instructor did not mention the steering but being off-road is definitely a different drive...

I agree with your thought that people drive with the assistance of electronics...I also believe some drive by following the car in front [too close] and watch for brake lights to come on.

In my opinion, driving a car is safer than just steering it...concentration...IMO driving is all about knowing where I am and others around me plus looking ahead as far as possible...to be ready for the unexpected if possible... keeping a good distance from the car in front helps but I am always pulling back because some clown fills the gap...in the perfect world we wouldn't tailgate but will that happen?...happy motoring ;)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is anyone who already has their IG coming from a Wrangler or Gladiator? I only ask because I believe they both use a similar steering setup (rec. ball) and was curious if anyone can provide a comparison.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is anyone who already has their IG coming from a Wrangler or Gladiator? I only ask because I believe they both use a similar steering setup (rec. ball) and was curious if anyone can provide a comparison.
I answered another forum member's similar question in this post, I'd be more than happy to go into further specifics if you have any questions...

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I answered another forum member's similar question in this post, I'd be more than happy to go into further specifics if you have any questions...
I perhaps should have specified that I was looking for “on-road” comparisons. I was fortunate to be at a NA drive event, but that only afforded an off-road opportunity.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I added my on-road comments in there as well... Granted, I don't have hundreds or thousands of on road miles, but in the range of a several dozen on road miles

Unimog 406

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My Grenadier 5 seat utility diesel, , BFG All terrain tyres, has 37 PSI in front and rears , lightly loaded with 2 people plus no more than 50Kg over the back axel.

Having had a UK car driving licence for 52 years, motorbikes 53 years! Caused no accidents, but been involved in a few. No speeding convictions, no points on my licence but doesn't mean I'm not a progressive driver. Having owned motor bikes, saloon cars, sports cars, collectors cars, military vehicles and commercial vehicles, you adapt to the abilities of vehicle your driving, and that includes driving at a good pace not watching the fuel consumption display, moving on and enjoying myself.

My problem is with steering at speed in a straight line, 4 turns of the steering wheel from lock to lock is not a problem. On British roads, I live in London, around town its a real pain driving "accurately" through congested road and streets, tight turns and manoeuvring driving crossing hand over hand. I've adapted my driving style with the Grenadier, no crossing hand over hand driving, over correcting, racing to straighten up. I'm back to feeding the steering wheel from hand to hand as when leaning to drive (UK) and as the Police teach their pursuit drivers. The grenadier has a small steering wheel so the wheel can be fed through hand to hand quickly, easily and accurately, without panic and without any over corrections required. Believe me it's worth trying, it changed my whole driving experience and apprehension level. I do however have a problem with travelling at higher speeds on faster roads in a straight line, so far I have been unable to adapt my driving to be comfortably in a relaxed manor at faster speeds this includes "A" roads and motorways without constant small/minor corrections. I cannot find any sweet spot in the steering set up or for that matter a speed which matches the vehicle set up? Interestingly though when cornering at a faster pace on any road I have discovered once the weight of the vehicle is on the outside of the corner the steering is much more precise, accurate and predictable.

Any thoughts appreciated, I'm willing to listen!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My Grenadier 5 seat utility diesel, , BFG All terrain tyres, has 37 PSI in front and rears , lightly loaded with 2 people plus no more than 50Kg over the back axel.

Having had a UK car driving licence for 52 years, motorbikes 53 years! Caused no accidents, but been involved in a few. No speeding convictions, no points on my licence but doesn't mean I'm not a progressive driver. Having owned motor bikes, saloon cars, sports cars, collectors cars, military vehicles and commercial vehicles, you adapt to the abilities of vehicle your driving, and that includes driving at a good pace not watching the fuel consumption display, moving on and enjoying myself.

My problem is with steering at speed in a straight line, 4 turns of the steering wheel from lock to lock is not a problem. On British roads, I live in London, around town its a real pain driving "accurately" through congested road and streets, tight turns and manoeuvring driving crossing hand over hand. I've adapted my driving style with the Grenadier, no crossing hand over hand driving, over correcting, racing to straighten up. I'm back to feeding the steering wheel from hand to hand as when leaning to drive (UK) and as the Police teach their pursuit drivers. The grenadier has a small steering wheel so the wheel can be fed through hand to hand quickly, easily and accurately, without panic and without any over corrections required. Believe me it's worth trying, it changed my whole driving experience and apprehension level. I do however have a problem with travelling at higher speeds on faster roads in a straight line, so far I have been unable to adapt my driving to be comfortably in a relaxed manor at faster speeds this includes "A" roads and motorways without constant small/minor corrections. I cannot find any sweet spot in the steering set up or for that matter a speed which matches the vehicle set up? Interestingly though when cornering at a faster pace on any road I have discovered once the weight of the vehicle is on the outside of the corner the steering is much more precise, accurate and predictable.

Any thoughts appreciated, I'm willing to listen!
Hi Unimog
Your experience seems very far away from mine however I think in part the fact my surroundings are very rural, makes this a far easier vehicle to live with on a daily basis. I can manage twisty A roads very easily although fast night driving with oncoming traffic requires more care than it does when driving my wife’s X3. Not sure how much I would enjoy my Grenadier if living in a city.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Interestingly though when cornering at a faster pace on any road I have discovered once the weight of the vehicle is on the outside of the corner the steering is much more precise, accurate and predictable.
Agree. I think that in fast driven curves the play is eliminated by the load on the steering, and it can therefore be driven more precisely.

Rab

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would have to disagree with regards to play. There is no play in the steering, it is simply a combination of low gearing and the recirc ball design that does not deliver steering feel until you load it up in a bend. With regards to driving in town I use the heel of my hand to rotate the wheel quickly, not a recommended method but one I have developed over decades of driving similarly geared agri machines.
A roads and motorways again in my opinion it’s just familiarity, elbow parked on door, light grip on steering, look well ahead.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:48 PM
Reaction score
For those that have a Gren, is the play in the steering similar to that shown in the Harry's Garage video starting at the 17 minute mark while he is driving on a straightaway?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For those that have a Gren, is the play in the steering similar to that shown in the Harry's Garage video starting at the 17 minute mark while he is driving on a straightaway?

I don't think that's freeplay as much as it's just steering feedback from an uneven and bumpy road.

Back
Top Bottom