The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:43 AM
Reaction score
EGR must be making them in their China or Thailand factories???
Makes sense, simple, heavy, cheaper steel. Much cheaper. Wouldnt surprise me if they’re coming via Belgium either. Nuts, but the kind of nuts that happens these days.

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
2:43 PM
Reaction score
I beleive you.
Take it to a tyre place and have the steering checked. Yes it will cost you £50 but:
A. you'll know
B. it's instant

I'm struggling with disbelief regarding how Ineos are 'dealing' with these faults.
You take you car back to the 'agent' and he/she calls someone else to tell them what to do ..... can't these people tie their own shoe laces ?

I get it with software issues etc

While I agree with you there may be reluctance on the part of reps/dealers to take independent action for fear of violating protocol by addressing problems on their own. Almost everything here is new - the company, the car, the customers, even the CEO to some degree. There may be directives from Ineos that we are unaware of.

EDIT: @Unimog 406's post said it better - https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/steering.12411562/post-1333199241

Last edited:

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
This is the best on road vid yet.

Trying to put myself in the driver's shoes I "felt" that everything he did corresponded to most of the vehicles we currently own. Almost all have RB steering other than those with ancient manual systems.

The driving gloves might be a little much.
:)

All those little straps and buckles and ventilation slits are a snag and sprained thumb waiting to happen with that much hand-over-hand steering. A real man's gloves are a non issue though. ;)

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:43 AM
Reaction score
Steering: my 2c worth
Trialmaster diesel, BFG KO2 tyres, 38 psi (cold)
Couldn't resist temptation any longer. House renovation be damned!:devilish:
Went for a leisurely 130km "jolly" on a mix of freeway and narrow winding roads.
The steering was surprisingly direct for Recirculating Ball with big tyres. Steering wheel is exactly centred and minimal correction was required on (3 lanes) freeway at the 90 -100kmh posted limits.
Spent time in all three lanes where the camber changed quite noticeably to mitigate flooding in the event of a Brisbane sub tropical downpour... There was no veering/ pulling to left or right in respect of the camber and no noticeable steering off-set needed.
On the narrow undulating winding roads in the southern end of the D'Aguilar Nat Park it tracked well with only an occasional thump thump thump of tyres on the centreline reflectors.
All in all, no steering complaints.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
Here's an interesting POV test drive. This vid really helped me appreciate that I am definitely going to have a bit of a learning curve going from a Range Rover SC to the Grenadier's recirculating ball set up. I know it excels off-road, but on road it is going to be a lot more floaty than what many are used to, including me. Just going by eyesight, I'd guess my RR steering is two to three times more precise and "tighter" than what I see on display in this video. Not a criticism - just an observation and expectation setting exercise.

Local time
10:43 PM
Reaction score
Umm, with a forum name like @Shaky it does beg the question from those who don’t know you 😜

I took it it was because he had several sheds (or shacks) rather than a case of the terminal wobbles .... or is Shaquille O'Neal in cognito (i'm going with the later) ;)

Unimog 406

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all
The result of my agents test drive this morning.

"The steering is performing outside previously driven vehicles and worsens with increased speed".
The agents proposal is to report to their contact at Ineos. Marc my sales manager made two attempts to reach his technical contact at Ineois whilst I was present but unsuccessfully.
Moving forward they propose to request:-
Any advice available.
Centralising the steering wheel positioning which is around 20 degrees off centre.
Checking all the steering and wheel alignment geometry.
Inspect and steering column linkages and bracketry.
Requesting steering box technical information, what are the correct settings, can it be adjusted, if possible how is this achieved.

As far as I'm concerned today I cannot have hoped for a better outcome.
I'll keep you all updated.
Graham

Big day tomorrow, Ineos engineer will be evaluating/inspecting my steering issue 14.00 hour B.S.T.
Another 40 mile round trip.

Local time
Reaction score
I would have to disagree with regards to play. There is no play in the steering, it is simply a combination of low gearing and the recirc ball design that does not deliver steering feel until you load it up in a bend. With regards to driving in town I use the heel of my hand to rotate the wheel quickly, not a recommended method but one I have developed over decades of driving similarly geared agri machines.
A roads and motorways again in my opinion it’s just familiarity, elbow parked on door, light grip on steering, look well ahead.
Rab,.exactly how I drive it, palm of my hand and spin it, I do drive a lot of tractors so this is a method used withal low geared steering.
Overall a complete non issue, anticipate unwinding on tight slow turns.

High speed verystable and relaxed, done 4000 miles now, love it.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Such a serious driving position at 9 & 3 with driving gloves on....
That is a race car position, especially when you have a smaller steering wheel. You get more rotation before arms cross over. When I am driving fast in a car, my hands are in the exact same position. Grenadier will be like driving a truck with a go kart steering wheel. Challenge accepted.

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
That is a race car position, especially when you have a smaller steering wheel. You get more rotation before arms cross over. When I am driving fast in a car, my hands are in the exact same position. Grenadier will be like driving a truck with a go kart steering wheel. Challenge excepted.
haha I'm well aware of the "race car" seating/hands positioning, but it isn't that serious to drive a Grenadier at speed :LOL:

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was trained to use the system of car control including advanced observations. At speed, on good and bad roads my trialmaster drives as if it is on rails🖖 Far better than my than my disco 4 landmark😎

Back
Top Bottom