The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering wheel center?

Local time
7:41 AM
Reaction score
Just right.
The steering angle sensor may now be slightly offset but this most probably won't cause any problems as the adjusmeny was so small.
And you really don't need to drive fast of far to see the position, usually just around the corner is enough as long as the curvature of the road is typical.

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:41 PM
Reaction score
Ok following up from my earlier post I was able to get under the truck again today before the rain.

So, I’m happy to say I was able to straighten out the steering wheel rather quickly and easily using a set of Knipex Channel locks. The retaining nuts varry in size, and 40mm is the largest I believe. On a scale of one to busted knuckle I give this a 0.5 👍
View attachment 7864384

As I worked underneath, checking my retaining nuts by hand I found 3 of 5 to be lose. Everything on (RHD) driver’s side was lose. All passenger side nuts were tight.

View attachment 7864386

I found nut “1” in the incorrect position yesterday. It was 1/2 way on the threads from the drag link adjust collar “2” and the end. Nut “3” was in place but lose enough to move with my fingers.

View attachment 7864389
This one was also finger loose on RH end of drag link bar.

View attachment 7864387
(These two Pax Side were tight. Just gave them a quick torque with the Knipex, and hit it with a paint pen for torque witness)

Method:
I backed both nuts “1” & “3” mid way to allow for movement in the “2” adjustment.
While checking often on the steering wheel I rotated the collar toward the front of the car.
To emphasise: I was laying on my right side/shoulder and grabbing the collar with my right hand (bare hand moved it easily no tool)
Moving the collar toward the front of the car brought the 12:00 position indicator on the steering wheel to the left. Rotating the collar toward the rear of the truck brought the steering wheel to the right. And it’s not a lot of turns. So think in 1/2 turn increments to bring the wheel a degree left or right.

It took me 2 tries until I was satisfied with the positioning, I made adjustments, torqued the nuts down with my knipex, and took the Gren for a lap around the paddock up to 100Km. First attempt was with the wheel centered, I still felt a bit of right input on the wheel was needed to keep the truck straight. So I opted to give the wheel a slight degree of left bias now, and took the truck for another lap.
View attachment 7864392

Satisfied, I then backed the nuts “1 & 3” off carefully to avoid disturbing the “2” adjustment. To keep “2” in line I used my right hand to steady it, while using the tool to break torque on “1” and “3”.

The reason for this was to apply some loctite. In an effort to keep this from plaguing me often. We’ll see how it goes…
I used Blue Loctite 243 medium hold, liberally on the “1 &3” retaining nuts, and also on the one nut I found Loose on the driver side by the wheel.

I then cranked everything back down. Didn’t have a torque wrench and crow’s foot to measure it, but gave it the beans to keep it in place best I could. The thread lock should take care of the rest.

Afterwards I hit the Nut’s and draglink bar with a sharpie paint pen to create a new torque witness for quick visual reference when I’m pre trip inspecting.
View attachment 7864391

I’ll keep an eye on it for the next few drives. But I’m satisfied I was able to rectify the right side bias in the wheel independent of an alignment shop. Hopefully if everything stays true I’ll continue to drive another 5-7,000Km before performing a tire rotation and alignment. (12,000Km service at dealership.)

Also: this YouTube video on a Ram 2500 was similar enough to glean the process from If my write up was too confusing.
View: https://youtu.be/KIv7HgEnb_E?si=6SrX4OsISj_-zTTG
Hi LeftCoastOverland, Thanks for the great write up, photos and video too. Great information! DaBull

Lex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:41 AM
Reaction score
Steering wheel alignment is adjusted by changing the length of drag link which connects steering box lever to passenger side knuckle lever. Looking at a picture posted by douggie the ball joints most probably have left and right hand (in picture) threads. After loosening the locking nuts the drag link is rotated to change it's length. The steering wheel is then rotating accordingly. If car is parked so that steering wheel is in the position where it is when going straight it can be now corrected to be at zero offset. One must remember that road inclination and side wind affect steering wheel position so there will be cases when it may be slightly offset. Misalignment itself doesn't have any meaning for steering or handling. Just looks odd.

img_2748-jpg.7835462
Hi, thank you for posting this information. I just bought a brand new Grenadier with 20 miles on it, and the steering wheel is off center. Its center is at about 1PM. Are there detailed instructions you can point me to to perform the re-centering adjustment you describe in your post? Many thanks…

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
Hi, thank you for posting this information. I just bought a brand new Grenadier with 20 miles on it, and the steering wheel is off center. Its center is at about 1PM. Are there detailed instructions you can point me to to perform the re-centering adjustment you describe in your post? Many thanks…
I would suggest you take it back to the dealer and have them rectify it on your brand new vehicle

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:41 PM
Reaction score

If taking it back to the dealer is a drive, here is some info from @DaBull

Reactions: Lex
Local time
Reaction score
1 PM is pretty much. The steering wheel can be adjusted but afterwards the steering angle sensor will probably show 11AM angle which may have some effect on the DSC. I would recommend dealer visit (guarantee case).

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'd get it centred. I use that steering wheel line far more than I thought I would, reassuring when reversing that you're going back in a straight line. Reminds me of the centre line on boat wheels which you really do need.

Lex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One more question please, to all the pros out there. I've driven 4 grenadiers, one used (3500 miles) and 3 brand new. And, I found that they all pull to the left a bit, consistently. Has anyone else experienced that? Even after the dealer performed an alignment on the one I bought (using the Ineos alignment information), it still pulls to the left, not much, but enough that the car will eventually ALWAYS veer to the left. Which, in right lane driving countries, is very dangerous since, if falling asleep or experiencing a black out for any reason, will take the car into oncoming traffic, instead of a ditch.

Lex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I would suggest you take it back to the dealer and have them rectify it on your brand-new vehicle
They said they fixed it when they delivered it and are now saying there is no issue. But, I drove on many different roads, and the steering wheel is in fact off center. The dealership is a little over an hour south from me, I'll take the car back to them eventually. I contacted Ineos about this as well, as I've also found that the car veers to the left (dangerous), but not seeing much help/proper feedback coming from Ineos yet. Giving Ineos some time to really consider this issue and think about proper resolution before I take the car back to the dealer. $90K car and having to deal with this is beyond frustrating!!

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One more question please, to all the pros out there. I've driven 4 grenadiers, one used (3500 miles) and 3 brand new. And, I found that they all pull to the left a bit, consistently. Has anyone else experienced that? Even after the dealer performed an alignment on the one I bought (using the Ineos alignment information), it still pulls to the left, not much, but enough that the car will eventually ALWAYS veer to the left. Which, in right lane driving countries, is very dangerous since, if falling asleep or experiencing a black out for any reason, will take the car into oncoming traffic, instead of a ditch.
I actually find mine pulls to the right esp when in the outside lane. Pulls less when in the inside lane. Road crowning? Also does vary depending on the "newness" of the road - old asphalt (ruts??) vs new asphalt. I've had both wheel balancing and alignment. Tyres were disappointingly way off balance when obtaining vehicle - Ineos expecting dealers to balance but not relaying the message?? I am wondering how much "drift/pulling" of this is due to the sheer size of the vehicle as even my 96 Discovery is slightly dwarfed by her cousin the "G".
Cheers!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Likewise, mine follows the crown on the road like all of our other vehicles, but doesn't specifically pull one way or the other at all

Lex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I actually find mine pulls to the right esp when in the outside lane. Pulls less when in the inside lane. Road crowning? Also does vary depending on the "newness" of the road - old asphalt (ruts??) vs new asphalt. I've had both wheel balancing and alignment. Tyres were disappointingly way off balance when obtaining vehicle - Ineos expecting dealers to balance but not relaying the message?? I am wondering how much "drift/pulling" of this is due to the sheer size of the vehicle as even my 96 Discovery is slightly dwarfed by her cousin the "G".
Cheers!
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I do look out for road crowning or road slanting etc...to make sure I account for that when trying to figure out if there is an issue. 90% of the time, no matter what roads I'm on, the car will veer to the left. I also find that I'm constantly pulling right to adjust for that. Maybe it's the way these vehicle's steering is designed. I contacted Ineos about it. Waiting on final word back from them.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I do look out for road crowning or road slanting etc...to make sure I account for that when trying to figure out if there is an issue. 90% of the time, no matter what roads I'm on, the car will veer to the left. I also find that I'm constantly pulling right to adjust for that. Maybe it's the way these vehicle's steering is designed. I contacted Ineos about it. Waiting on final word back from them.
I've had pulling from the start. The "center" of the steering use to be a few degrees to Port. Asked for it to be centered and now I'm a greater number of degrees to Starboard - my brain is now trying to adjust to this! So where I was "pushing" starboard, "center" is now way off Center ☺️ !
Look forward to hearing what Ineos has to say ! Thank you for reaching out to them!
Cheers

Lex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Likewise, mine follows the crown on the road like all of our other vehicles, but doesn't specifically pull one way or the other at all

Lex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
1 PM is pretty much. The steering wheel can be adjusted but afterwards the steering angle sensor will probably show 11AM angle which may have some effect on the DSC. I would recommend dealer visit (guarantee case).
Hi, sorry, I think 1PM is not the right terminology, as it does indicate a significant 'off center' location. it's more a few degrees to the right, but not full on 1PM. I should have been more exact in my description. :)

ForceV4

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine rests to the left by about 1-2 degrees, but tracks just fine going down the road. I may adjust tire pressure to see if it helps. Not a huge issue at this early point.

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It may not be your problem at all but this type of vehicle will always be inclined to climb the camber of the road due to the heavy live axles. As the camber on most straight sections of road runs to the verge to help rain run off, the steering will always need some slight pressure to get the vehicle to run straight. I've found you get used to it after a while and your brain learns to subconsciously read the road a ahead and make micro changes in pressure to compensate for changes in camber. It's what makes the steering feel squirrelly at first, while the brain beds in and learns not to over-compensate.

Also the steering is extremely light on centre and and needs progressively more driver input as the steering angle increases: If you're a 'one-handed' driver then unless you hold the wheel at 12 o'clock I've noticed the weight of your arm is enough to give a slight steering bias when aiming straight ahead. If you hold the wheel on the side that works against road camber 'climb' then they tend to cancel out, but if you hold the wheel on the side that boosts road camber input then it'll feel like you're constantly fighting the wheel.

Lex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It may not be your problem at all but this type of vehicle will always be inclined to climb the camber of the road due to the heavy live axles. As the camber on most straight sections of road runs to the verge to help rain run off, the steering will always need some slight pressure to get the vehicle to run straight. I've found you get used to it after a while and your brain learns to subconsciously read the road a ahead and make micro changes in pressure to compensate for changes in camber. It's what makes the steering feel squirrelly at first, while the brain beds in and learns not to over-compensate.

Also the steering is extremely light on centre and and needs progressively more driver input as the steering angle increases: If you're a 'one-handed' driver then unless you hold the wheel at 12 o'clock I've noticed the weight of your arm is enough to give a slight steering bias when aiming straight ahead. If you hold the wheel on the side that works against road camber 'climb' then they tend to cancel out, but if you hold the wheel on the side that boosts road camber input then it'll feel like you're constantly fighting the wheel.
WOW, this is pretty much exactly what I'm experiencing...Everything you describe above, including the effects of one-handed driving, which is how I drive most of the time (left hand on steering wheel, while elbow rests on the top of the door panel). And, I did notice that if I use both hands, or my right hand only, I feel that pull to the left less. That said, I still have a concern about the 'veering to the left 90% of the time' when I let go of the steering wheel, mainly because veering to the left means the car heads into oncoming traffic. I'd rather it veer right, into a ditch. Still waiting to hear back from Ineos on that (I'll share whatever feedback I receive). In the UK, veering to the left if actually good...ditch side, not oncoming traffic side ;). I'll happily adapt to the steering as designed on this vehicle. It's an amazing vehicle. It's the veering to the left bit, into oncoming traffic, I'm really concerned about. :)

Mr-Gus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
I have/had same issue w/ alignment and contacted my service person (Trevor Lilly at Mossy in-house). His response is below. Got me almost straight…

“You can do micro adjustments on your own via the steering wheel.

If you turn the wheel in the opposite direction to drive straight, turn it all the way until it stops, and continue to turn it while moving forward, it will cause it to micro adjust on its own.”

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have/had same issue w/ alignment and contacted my service person (Trevor Lilly at Mossy in-house). His response is below. Got me almost straight…

“You can do micro adjustments on your own via the steering wheel.

If you turn the wheel in the opposite direction to drive straight, turn it all the way until it stops, and continue to turn it while moving forward, it will cause it to micro adjust on its own.”
Say what??🤔 😳😲

• Wow
Back
Top Bottom