The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering stabilizer bar

MattG

GG #2987
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:53 PM
Reaction score
Fox engineers didn't design anything for the Grenadier. And it is also unfair to say there are no risks, because there have been people with the Fox stabilizer experience death wobble (if not posted on here, definitely on the FB groups).

The Fox stabilizers (both versions by Owl as well as the one Agile sells) are parts either designed for a generic application or another vehicle that have been adapted to work on the Grenadier.

Fox did not design the Grenadier kit, thus why it isn't available to purchase from Fox. There are kits put together by other companies using the Fox damper.

Additionally, "out perform" is an interesting phrase to use. The original vehicle is designed to with off-road driving and stability as a forefront; for which the factory damper is phenomenal. Any softer damper (like the Fox units, OME units, etc) will transmit more off road bump through the steering and into the driver's hands through the wheel, that's just basic physics and damper technology.
I'm a bit confused. Regarding the physics, correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't a stiffer (less absorbent) damper transmit more off-road bump directly to the steering wheel and a softer one absorb more of the off-road bump, meaning less transmission of said bump to the wheel?? That's my understanding anyway.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:23 AM
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. Regarding the physics, correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't a stiffer (less absorbent) damper transmit more off-road bump directly to the steering wheel and a softer one absorb more of the off-road bump, meaning less transmission of said bump to the wheel?? That's my understanding anyway.
The steering damper dampens the movement of the steering system (steering angle for simplicity), not directly dampening the impacts (which is how a suspension shock absorber works dampening the impact from the road surface). This is why some people feel the turning radius improves with a softer damper, because the wheel becomes easier to turn

MattG

GG #2987
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:53 PM
Reaction score
The steering damper dampens the movement of the steering system (steering angle for simplicity), not directly dampening the impacts (which is how a suspension shock absorber works dampening the impact from the road surface). This is why some people feel the turning radius improves with a softer damper, because the wheel becomes easier to turn
Yep, understood. Cheers

Zenbox

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
For those that have had the death wobble with the fox stabilizer, has it been the "standard" one or the adjustable Fox one? I installed the standard un-adjustable one and like it, but do wish it was just a little bit stiffer (somewhere in between the stock and this one). Due to the death wobble issues others have had, I have been contemplating putting the stock one back on. However, now I am thinking I could get the adjustable Fox stabilizer from Agile and just have it a little softer than stock and it might therefore, mitigate some of the potential downsides of the potential death wobble issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
However, now I am thinking I could get the adjustable Fox stabilizer from Agile and just have it a little softer than stock and it might therefore, mitigate some of the potential downsides of the potential death wobble issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
Just remember the maintenance schedule (rebuilding) of the Fox ATS line... Every 50k miles if used exclusively on road, 10k miles if mixed on/off road, and 1k miles of off road use

jcurtin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
For those that have had the death wobble with the fox stabilizer, has it been the "standard" one or the adjustable Fox one? I installed the standard un-adjustable one and like it, but do wish it was just a little bit stiffer (somewhere in between the stock and this one). Due to the death wobble issues others have had, I have been contemplating putting the stock one back on. However, now I am thinking I could get the adjustable Fox stabilizer from Agile and just have it a little softer than stock and it might therefore, mitigate some of the potential downsides of the potential death wobble issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
I had the wobble w/ fox... the one I had installed was part # AGA1001. For what it's worth, I am very happy to now be back to stock. I'm new to the offroad vehicle game, had no idea a swap over to it would play out this way. Interesting too is that the stance of Ineos was kind of "it's your problem, you changed the vehicle"... which I now get. Also, should wobble had caused accident, insurance picture would likely be a mess for similar reasons. I appreciate all the mods others are doing... admire it... I'm just not versed enough to play that game at moment.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
Just remember the maintenance schedule (rebuilding) of the Fox ATS line... Every 50k miles if used exclusively on road, 10k miles if mixed on/off road, and 1k miles of off road use
For the brave there is an adjustable damper 'round here from Tough Dog that may not require regular rebuilding, but the mounting method may require fettling as it is currently setup to suit Landcruisers.
Click for link

Last edited:

Maskinut

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Welp, my stabilizer fell off and I didn't even notice while towing a 3k trailer on highway and then across the desert.

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
Interesting 🤔
When walking towards my vehicle a few days ago the steering stabiliser is the most obviously front end item exposed to striking and it really made me wonder … 💭 why?

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
My son's 2015 Jeep Rubicon used to get death wobble frequently. We tried many "fixes" but could never find one that lasted. We eventually traded it in for a Four Runner. When I was driving and experienced death wobble, I found that lightly gripping the wheel (ie. keeping it from turning far, but not trying to stop the intermediate steering shifts) and letting off the gas, was the best way to recover. I did not try hard breaking (or any breaking). I felt like trying to fight it (by trying to overpower the steering to hold it still) felt like it made the death wobble last longer and potentially increased the amplification.

That's my own experience in a jeep, I'm not sure what the general consensus is on how best to respond to death wobble while driving?

Back
Top Bottom