The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering stabilizer bar

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
I'm objectively subjective but holy smokes what a difference the agile offroad dampener made to my grenadier! It's such an improvement that i just can't overstate it! Highly, highly recommended!
Now that it's "broken in", the return-to-center is even better, I think.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
I for sure did not have any resemblance of return to center prior to today, now I do.

I also have a heck of an easier time on the freeway.
I also think it's a little bit less resistance in the steering column itself.

I'm beyond surprised at how big of a difference in "feel" it is. Probably the mod that made the most impact to me. I'll do a couple of long drives in the next few weeks, but this is good. Very good.

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:26 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone fitted a replacement steering damper in the UK yet? if so what did you go for?
If you want to fit one to assist with the steering wheel returning to centre then that’s you’re choice.
However if you’re wanting to fit one because you’re finding the steering needing constant adjustment that’s not the fix.
Have the dealer check the wheel geometry (link below to settings courtesy of @joejet ) and set tyre pressures to suit the load.
Mine was always okay but after the dealer (Grange Edinburgh) set the geometry (the steering wheel was being centred, it’s still off to the right a bit) the steering requires very little correction.

Post in thread 'Steering and suspension geometry setting details'
https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...etry-setting-details.12413146/post-1333221779

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:26 PM
Reaction score
An FYI on Fox Steering Stabiliser bar installation. My installer has done a few and on most they do have to cut the steering stabiliser bracket. They will cut it, grind it down, and paint (for no rust). This means continuously using an aftermarket stabiliser and the inability to reattach the stock one. I was absolutely fine with that.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
An FYI on Fox Steering Stabiliser bar installation. My installer has done a few and on most they do have to cut the steering stabiliser bracket. They will cut it, grind it down, and paint (for no rust). This means continuously using an aftermarket stabiliser and the inability to reattach the stock one. I was absolutely fine with that.

Not me. I hate making changes that can't be easily returned to stock.

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Fox stabilizer I ordered from agile off-road fit perfectly. No modifications needed. They do spec their own inserts and washers so spacing is perfect. Plug and play.

Maybe your installer was using a different version of the fox stabilizer vs the one you can source from Agile Off-road in the US

Attachments

• IMG_1849.jpeg
    IMG_1849.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 16

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe your installer was using a different version of the fox stabilizer vs the one you can source from Agile Off-road in the US
There are two companies who both use different "levels" of Fox stabilizers. Agile use the "normal" Fox stabilizer, and Owl Vans/Owl Off Road uses the "Race Series" which has a very different mounting style

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The Fox stabilizer I ordered from agile off-road fit perfectly. No modifications needed. They do spec their own inserts and washers so spacing is perfect. Plug and play.

Same here. Complete plug and play, no modification to the mount. The more i drive the gren the happier i am with how the car drives.

JSDKMS!

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Mine also - It was an easy job. Installed it myself in a half hour!

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:26 PM
Reaction score
There are two companies who both use different "levels" of Fox stabilizers. Agile use the "normal" Fox stabilizer, and Owl Vans/Owl Off Road uses the "Race Series" which has a very different mounting style
Looks like Agile will soon be releasing the “race series”. If I ever move from OEM it would be to the “normal” that does not modify the mount. Here is a recent post from our AMER FB group (I am one of the admins, come join!) showing their progress on fitting the “race series” one.
EDIT: Context for FB link.

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, that explains the difference. If I had realised the above I would likely have ordered the one that did not require cutting. Hopefully a good FYI for other forum members considering this.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, that explains the difference. If I had realised the above I would likely have ordered the one that did not require cutting. Hopefully a good FYI for other forum members considering this.
Also to note is the rebuild lifecycle that is specific to the "race" series (1,000mi if all off road, 10k mile if mixed off/on road, and 50k mile if on road only)

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Oh man, wish I had read this thread a little closer. The installer is doing the spring lift for my Gren and when I saw they offered the steering stabiliser from Fox I just said yes without looking at which one I had added (I did not realise there were two.)

My mistake, but hopefully one I don’t have to remake every several thousand miles.
My question to the group then is:

If the bracket did get cut (they may have already done that), would it fit the non-adjustable, non-racing version from Fox in the future?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oh man, wish I had read this thread a little closer. The installer is doing the spring lift for my Gren and when I saw they offered the steering stabiliser from Fox I just said yes without looking at which one I had added (I did not realise there were two.)

My mistake, but hopefully one I don’t have to remake every several thousand miles.
My question to the group then is:

If the bracket did get cut (they may have already done that), would it fit the non-adjustable, non-racing version from Fox in the future?
The non adjustable version that Agile sells (Fox does not make any of these specific for a Grenadier, these are adapted from generic or other applications) uses the stock mounting.

Owl Vans (who sells the adjustable Fox version), says in their instructions to make sure you don't remove the bracket if you want to return to stock

Local time
Reaction score
I don't know where you guys are getting your work done, but altering a bracket isn't rocket science, (or altering back to original) and neither is rebuilding a shock.

If you're doing this, it means you don't like your driving experience. Just do whatever makes your driving experience the best for you and don't look back.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
A lighter damper will allow a slightly quicker "return to center" but, at the end of the day, it's still just a basic shock absorber. It doesn't change the steering geometry one iota.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
A lighter damper will allow a slightly quicker "return to center" but, at the end of the day, it's still just a basic shock absorber. It doesn't change the steering geometry one iota.
This is exactly my experience. it makes it slightly quicker but also a bit less stiff around being slightly off center, thus reducing the labor to keep the car centered while driving at speed. other than that it is no different. But i really like the more effortless driving on the highway.

Back
Top Bottom