The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
I picked up my vehicle yesterday and drove it home from the dealership. A short freeway ride and the rest of the 40km was city & suburban streets.

First impressions of my 2 seater Trialmaster diesel:

• The suspension is really good. Speed humps are smoothly absorbed and the ride over these is much better than the other 2 SUV's in the household.
  • The rumble of the straight six diesel is awesome.
  • Hello transfer case whine - where have you been for the last six years. Less noticeable than my Disco 2 but my JGC is quieter. Anyway, just an observation rather than a complaint.
  • Steering will take some getting used to but turning into corners is better than expected.
  • The drivers side mirror lacks range in the outward and upward angles.
  • Fit and finish of the plastics is ordinary for a post $100K vehicle.
More observations to follow as I get more distance on the odometer.
I’ve found with the side mirrors you can push them into position if the electric movement range is not enough then continue to adjust with toggle switch.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Znarfgh
"..Fit and finish of the plastics is ordinary for a post $100K vehicle."

Understatement ! they're appalling for the price... The only saving grace is that the gaps make it a bit easier to remove panels for access...
Plastics are one of the more obvious let downs. I found the fit to be good but the feel of the plastic takes me back to the 80’s.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Plastics are one of the more obvious let downs. I found the fit to be good but the feel of the plastic takes me back to the 80’s.
So compared to my old 05 Triton work ute... it may feel life a minor upgrade!!!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
But I'm sure it's eco friendly plastic.
The plastics in my wife's $80k Volvo EV are not "luxury" , but apparently recyclable.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve found with the side mirrors you can push them into position if the electric movement range is not enough then continue to adjust with toggle switch.
unfortunately that didn't work for me as the maximum outside range of movement was still not enough on the driver's side so I pushed the whole thing forward on it's stalk. Now perfect!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
I picked up ...
Thank you for the feedback.

But a note: The dark blue is hard to read on a dark background. Without an extra color it will probably be easier as it then automatically turns to white on a dark blackground and black on a bright background.
typo

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not enough to overcome the issues. The mirror is a very poor design and really needs to be fixed, it’s actually dangerous

gkhaldi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So I took my Grenny out for her shakeout trip. I got the Trialmaster, B58 petrol, 18’ steels BFG, winch, tow pack and rock sliders. I traveled from near Antwerp, via Brussels, Valenciennes over Paris, Tours and finishing in Bordeaux for our first stop. Almost all of it is highway. About 80% was driven at 130kph, 20% at 110kph and 10% between 70-90kph (speedo values). The IG was very well loaded up and tipped just shy of 3.3 ton on the weighing scale. Average consumption was 16.5 l/100km. Bad and not bad. I’m curious to see what she’ll average off-road. I do know that she’s only consuming about 12.5L/100km when doing a steady 90kph.

Some other things…no bings and bongs whatsoever and I’m still on the old software. Fuel gage is actually very close to reality. It seems to adapt to your driving style / consumption so it judges more or less OK but it is overall a bit on the conservative side indicating the remaining range. The driving seats are fabulous. I spend over 6K euro for the nice high-end seats in my previous Merc and these (without massage and seat ventilation 🤣) are more supportive and just allow me for a better drive. The above drive was done without stops except taking fuel!

Have some slight driveline vibration and whining between 106 and 111kph but that’s to be expected with the sort of driveline under it.

Overall I’m very happy. Now let’s see what offroad trails might bring in terms of joy…and fuel consumption

Attachments

• IMG_9305.jpeg
    IMG_9305.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 50

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 PM
Reaction score
So I took my Grenny out for her shakeout trip. I got the Trialmaster, B58 petrol, 18’ steels BFG, winch, tow pack and rock sliders. I traveled from near Antwerp, via Brussels, Valenciennes over Paris, Tours and finishing in Bordeaux for our first stop. Almost all of it is highway. About 80% was driven at 130kph, 20% at 110kph and 10% between 70-90kph (speedo values). The IG was very well loaded up and tipped just shy of 3.3 ton on the weighing scale. Average consumption was 16.5 l/100km. Bad and not bad. I’m curious to see what she’ll average off-road. I do know that she’s only consuming about 12.5L/100km when doing a steady 90kph.

Some other things…no bings and bongs whatsoever and I’m still on the old software. Fuel gage is actually very close to reality. It seems to adapt to your driving style / consumption so it judges more or less OK but it is overall a bit on the conservative side indicating the remaining range. The driving seats are fabulous. I spend over 6K euro for the nice high-end seats in my previous Merc and these (without massage and seat ventilation 🤣) are more supportive and just allow me for a better drive. The above drive was done without stops except taking fuel!

Have some slight driveline vibration and whining between 106 and 111kph but that’s to be expected with the sort of driveline under it.

Overall I’m very happy. Now let’s see what offroad trails might bring in terms of joy…and fuel consumption
Fuel efficiency and speed are on a sliding scale, the faster you go you exponentially use more fuel.

Retep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And for the Right Hand Drivers - did your left foot fall off, or did you end up having to use a walking frame after you got out of the car - all due to the left footrest.
Thanks in advance.
There is no problem with the raised area on the right hand drive vehicles . If anything it’s actually better than a “normal” auto footwell , as you actually use it !
Make no mistake these cars are built to last , I’ve followed them from conception and you don’t employ Magna Styer if you’re not out to build the best 4x4 on the market !
Having owned the very last 2018 W463 G wagon I can honestly say the grenadier is light years ahead , the steering a suspension are another level. I would say left to the Magna Styer engineers I believe this is what they wanted the 2019 (new) G wagon to evolve into .
Saying all that it was impossible for Sir Jim to drop the merc engine in it, even with his connection to merc . In conclusion if he had , no one would have bought the G wagon and he probably wouldn’t be building them in an old Merc factory now but still digging up Earth in Wales dreaming of his ultimate off roader . I’ve been to Hambach and it’s an amazing set up with a brilliant testing area.
My only issues have been the random/ intermittent software pop ups , it’s never stopped the car and they usually disappear once rolling .
I am booked into for the software update next week I’m told that everything out .
In summary the grenadier in my option is the G wagon that never was and it’s half the money with a better engine , and a five year warranty . Hey Jim roll out static Hydrogen fuel bowsers FREE to every WILLING fuel station in Europe and build that hydrogen car you showed at Goodwood, you’ll clean up and make Millions , I believe ineos is the biggest producer of hydrogen in Europe and it’s a bi product of the core chemical business.
It’s obvious hydrogen is the way forward , check out Sir Bamford another Great British entrepreneur who has cracked building a ground up hydroen engine , NOT A FUEL CELL engine and sparked ignited hydrogen engine !!
Maybe Sir B & Sir R had a word with the PM last month and that’s why he’s pushed back the scrapping of banning ICE engines.
There’s a world for all fuel types, and don’t forget Efuel , ask Porsche if you’re interested .

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There is no problem with the raised area on the right hand drive vehicles . If anything it’s actually better than a “normal” auto footwell , as you actually use it !
Make no mistake these cars are built to last , I’ve followed them from conception and you don’t employ Magna Styer if you’re not out to build the best 4x4 on the market !
Having owned the very last 2018 W463 G wagon I can honestly say the grenadier is light years ahead , the steering a suspension are another level. I would say left to the Magna Styer engineers I believe this is what they wanted the 2019 (new) G wagon to evolve into .
Saying all that it was impossible for Sir Jim to drop the merc engine in it, even with his connection to merc . In conclusion if he had , no one would have bought the G wagon and he probably wouldn’t be building them in an old Merc factory now but still digging up Earth in Wales dreaming of his ultimate off roader . I’ve been to Hambach and it’s an amazing set up with a brilliant testing area.
My only issues have been the random/ intermittent software pop ups , it’s never stopped the car and they usually disappear once rolling .
I am booked into for the software update next week I’m told that everything out .
In summary the grenadier in my option is the G wagon that never was and it’s half the money with a better engine , and a five year warranty . Hey Jim roll out static Hydrogen fuel bowsers FREE to every WILLING fuel station in Europe and build that hydrogen car you showed at Goodwood, you’ll clean up and make Millions , I believe ineos is the biggest producer of hydrogen in Europe and it’s a bi product of the core chemical business.
It’s obvious hydrogen is the way forward , check out Sir Bamford another Great British entrepreneur who has cracked building a ground up hydroen engine , NOT A FUEL CELL engine and sparked ignited hydrogen engine !!
Maybe Sir B & Sir R had a word with the PM last month and that’s why he’s pushed back the scrapping of banning ICE engines.
There’s a world for all fuel types, and don’t forget Efuel , ask Porsche if you’re interested .
I fully agree.
And I can add that also the random/intermittent pop ups disappear after 1946 update. Performed yesterday and now everything is ok. The update is quite serious, not just a pen drive download. The update took more than two hours with a first part dedicated to erasing and remapping 5 ECUs by laptop and a dedicated tool, a second part to downloading infotainment software by USB-C, and a third part to reset, validating and calibrating. Having see that, I can understand why Ineos spent months before releasing it.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
I fully agree.
And I can add that also the random/intermittent pop ups disappear after 1946 update. Performed yesterday and now everything is ok. The update is quite serious, not just a pen drive download. The update took more than two hours with a first part dedicated to erasing and remapping 5 ECUs by laptop and a dedicated tool, a second part to downloading infotainment software by USB-C, and a third part to reset, validating and calibrating. Having see that, I can understand why Ineos spent months before releasing it.
Hi Alvan, could you please take the opportunity to test whether the rear interior lighting can now be adjusted or turned off after the update? Thx Barney

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Well finally on 05102023 , 502 days after ordering, we picked up Gimli and I followed my wife 250km home via the central highlands of Tasmania. It was a bit bleak up there, so photo opportunities were limited.

Trialmaster , petrol , Magic mushroom - with rock sliders, bullbar , winch , safari roof, saddle leather and lockable spare wheel cover (latter to be delivered - Ineos paperwork error). I have a cargo barrier on order and the FR 3/4 rack to go on top.

The safari roof seals have been replaced with the new ones and the drains needed replacing.

To me , this a brilliant amalgam of old and new, analog with digital overtones. It's like a combination of my 80 series Landcruiser , Discovery 1 and wife's last car , a Mercedes GLC.
With of course a general nod to my S3 Landrover.

Points to note:
- my passenger was my 82 yo father in law. He pulled himself up into the cabin without problems, and slid out as one does with no side steps.
- ample power , smooth transmission
- handles very well (there were some hairpins which had my f.i.l. grabbing the bars as I explored the limits!
- controls easily learnt
- android auto worked intermittently due to poor connectivity - many blackspots in Tasmania , you make do with what you're given)
- visibility excellent - side mirrors no problem at all for me
- footrest no issue at all (seating position easily adjustable and it's nice that the steering wheel can be moved in and out)
- steering absolutely not an issue , but I'm used to old school cars so acclimatised immediately. Saddle leather wheel , handbrake cover and grab bar look and feel sensational.
- turning circle better than I had imagined.
- some tyre noise to be expected (All Terrains)
- some wind noise (no more than expected)
- no rattles
- briefly tried the centre lock on the dirt road near home - slotted in with a bit of shove whilst on the move.
Exactly the same as my Discovery 1.
- fuel economy was 14.1 L , noting some city driving either end , and there was a fair bit of hill climbing and some heavyish right foot to test the engine note and corner exits...
- the main issues are electronic - odometer stuck on 0000 (Edit: it worked later , then didn't work...), compass/elevation not working, warning for doors/seatbelts seem mixed up left/right

Much more to learn re dynamics offroad but for now , it fits like a glove 😊
Well done Ineos , and well done Jim for putting your money where you heart wanted to go in 2017(y)
My 6 yo dream has come true. And I feel like a 6yo again!

380242280_1552377182254718_621373828962460233_n.jpg
20231005_143538.jpg
20231005_144629.jpg

Last edited:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
Well finally on 05102023 , 502 days after ordering, we picked up Gimli and I followed my wife 250km home via the central highlands of Tasmania. It was a bit bleak up there, so photo opportunities were limited.

Trialmaster , petrol , Magic mushroom - with rock sliders, bullbar , winch , safari roof, saddle leather and lockable spare wheel cover (latter to be delivered - Ineos paperwork error). I have a cargo barrier on order and the FR 3/4 rack to go on top.

The safari roof seals have been replaced with the new ones and the drains needed replacing.

To me , this a brilliant amalgam of old and new, analog with digital overtones. It's like a combination of my 80 series Landcruiser , Discovery 1 and wife's last car , a Mercedes GLC.

Points to note:
- my passenger was my 82 yo father in law. He pulled himself up into the cabin without problems, and slid out as one does with no side steps.
- handles very well (there were some hairpins which had my f.i.l. grabbing the bars as I explored the limits!
- controls easily learnt
- android auto worked intermittently due to poor connectivity - many blackspots in Tasmania , you make do with what you're given)
- footrest no issue at all (seating position easily adjustable and it's nice that the steering wheel can be moved in and out)
- steering absolutely not an issue , but I'm used to old school cars so acclimatised immediately. Saddle leather wheel , handbrake cover and grab bar look and feel sensational.
- no rattles
- briefly tried the centre lock on the dirt road near home - slotted in with a bit of shove whilst on the move.
- fuel economy was 14.1 L , noting some city driving either end , and there was a fair bit of hill climbing and some heavyish right foot to test the engine note and corner exits...
- the main issues are electronic - odometer stuck on 0000 (will see if it's revived tomorrow), compass/elevation not working, warning for doors/seatbelts seem mixed up left/right

Well done Ineos , and well done Jim for putting your money where you heart wanted to go in 2017(y)

View attachment 7828786
View attachment 7828788
View attachment 7828789
Fantastic. I am happy for you. Have good trips.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's certainly been a long and winding road Tazzieman but you & Gimli are finally home - together.

I am sure, like many, emotions over 1.5 years - initial excitement, then growing expectation, to building frustration - are now replaced by happiness and eagerness. Enjoy.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

Points to note:
- controls easily learnt
- no rattles
- the main issues are electronic - odometer stuck on 0000 (Edit: it worked later , then didn't work...), compass/elevation not working, warning for doors/seatbelts seem mixed up left/right

View attachment 7828786
View attachment 7828788
View attachment 7828789
Congratulations, @Tazzieman . 🥂

I’ve had mine for coming up to 3 months now, and the smile's still on my face. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom