The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
Stupid question, but did you have HDC on and used the cruise control buttons to set your speed?
I was doing 60mph so HDC definitely off! The car was happily doing 60mph via cruise control until I started going down hill. The car reached 70mph - 10mph over what I set it to!

Mitchell300

GG-741
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With cruise control activated going downhill my Grenadier does not keep to the set speed - it increases well above the set speed. Is this normal?

Also, I have found the transmission to be harsh when reversing uphill around a corner - the car hardly moves then jolts backwards suddenly - not very smooth.
I’ve found the same issue with reversing. Where I park requires reversing over a couple of bumps in a restricted space. I now put it into low range and find it now a lot smoother.

Also found when reversing you can open the door and it stays in gear.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
With cruise control activated going downhill my Grenadier does not keep to the set speed - it increases well above the set speed. Is this normal?
Same here, but only tested once with the speed set to 38 Kmh. My old Merc with a ZF 5-gear automatic maintains the speed, like BMW with downshifting and/or braking.

I'll wait for the software update and hope it gets better.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Stupid question, but did you have HDC on and used the cruise control buttons to set your speed?
As far as I'm concerend: no. It is to my experience a common feature for on-road cruise control.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I think the speed control is without braking!
That's what it looks like. But think it shouldn't.

Even my 23yr old 5-gear automatic does this. ZF, nota bene.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve found the same issue with reversing. Where I park requires reversing over a couple of bumps in a restricted space. I now put it into low range and find it now a lot smoother.

Also found when reversing you can open the door and it stays in gear.
I’m the same with reversing especially up my driveway which is uphill, I put into low range for more control as I did with my Defender. 👍🏼

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hm, Cruise Control may not include automatic speed limiting also
When I use my Disco and it goes down hill it will als become slightly faster,
except Distance Control is active.
Or the speedlimiter is active then it will maintain max speed.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Also, I have found the transmission to be harsh when reversing uphill around a corner - the car hardly moves then jolts backwards suddenly - not very smooth.
I agree mine doesn't downshift either, therefore accelerates, not a correct behavior!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up in case anyone has the same issue.

I booked my car in for a 5,000 mile oil change at my “new” agent (thanks Heritage Gloucester for a much better experience). They looked into the aircon pipes dripping condensation into the passenger footwell and identified the issue. There was a small split in the drain pipe, which they duly fixed.
@Highwayman I also have my first service with oil change coming up. In this context, I will also address the dripping water from the air conditioner into the driver's footwell. How did they repair the split in the drain pipe in your case?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:26 PM
Reaction score
How steep was the decent?
My 200 Series is just OK down hill with cruise control but not great.
Our X3 isn’t particularly good and will run over so I tend to use the gears to hold it back, not cruise control.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I
Just wanted to follow up in case anyone has the same issue.

I booked my car in for a 5,000 mile oil change at my “new” agent (thanks Heritage Gloucester for a much better experience). They looked into the aircon pipes dripping condensation into the passenger footwell and identified the issue. There was a small split in the drain pipe, which they duly fixed.
have just noticed this. Long trip yesterday with air con on, and there were a few water spots in the passenger footwel. Right under the heating duct. I’ll get me dealer to remedy

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerend: no. It is to my experience a common feature for on-road cruise control.
I apologize as I thought they were offroad going down hill not on the street driving.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Our X3 isn’t particularly good and will run over so I tend to use the gears to hold it back, not cruise control.
My Mercedes is good on the flat but when going up a hill it accelerates to keep to the speed and then when you reach the top it overshoots and brakes fairly hard.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Haven’t got mine yet so no experience, but it does sound like the standard old school dumb cruise controls where this was standard. Many systems are hit and miss still. I must say the adaptive cruise in my current Pajero Sport is probably the best all round system I have everything experienced and I will miss it.

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Highwayman I also have my first service with oil change coming up. In this context, I will also address the dripping water from the air conditioner into the driver's footwell. How did they repair the split in the drain pipe in your case?
I'm not certain @rovie the way they fixed it.

It was only the drain tube, so not under any pressure.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
I apologize as I thought they were offroad going down hill not on the street driving.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My Mercedes is good on the flat but when going up a hill it accelerates to keep to the speed and then when you reach the top it overshoots and brakes fairly hard.
Same here. I usually knock the cruise speed down 5kph when approaching a crest to ensure it holds on the descent.

Are the people complaining about runaway speed on descent driving petrol or diesel Grenadiers? I've NEVER known a petrol vehicle to adequately hold speed going downhill, but my diesel Mercedes is generally pretty good. So much so that when I go over the Gateway Bridge in Brisbane, just about everything motors past down the other side due to their presumably crappy or non-existent cruise control. And on steeper descents it kicks down 2 or 3 gears and revs up to about 3000RPM to try and hold the speed.

In the end, each system is different and takes some time to work out its foibles. But it should at least be making an attempt to hold going downhill.

Farglebah

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Automatic transmissions have been using downshifting for many years and I'm surprised than any in 2023 don’t - especially a ZF. But it’s a pretty blunt too l and it’s almost impossible for it to not overrun the CC speed. Only braking can be more exact and I know some cars CC will do that but I prefer to brake myself if needed. I’d hate to need an emergency stop at the bottom of a long steep descent to find my car has already cooked the brakes.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Same here. I usually knock the cruise speed down 5kph when approaching a crest to ensure it holds on the descent.

Are the people complaining about runaway speed on descent driving petrol or diesel Grenadiers? I've NEVER known a petrol vehicle to adequately hold speed going downhill, but my diesel Mercedes is generally pretty good. So much so that when I go over the Gateway Bridge in Brisbane, just about everything motors past down the other side due to their presumably crappy or non-existent cruise control. And on steeper descents it kicks down 2 or 3 gears and revs up to about 3000RPM to try and hold the speed.

In the end, each system is different and takes some time to work out its foibles. But it should at least be making an attempt to hold going downhill.
I went over the Gateway twice yesterday.
Heading south my wife was in the car so I was limited to 100kmh
Heading back she wasn't so I was able to do 130 ish

Back
Top Bottom