The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:27 AM
Reaction score
Very reassuring video. If like me you’ve been trusting that all the niggles are just that, and the odd real problem is the inevitable decimal in a 99.something full of nines, then this interview is great to watch.
He brings up a very good point about the winch. Lack of accessibility along with the gear handle being vulnerable.

What exactly does the winch option do? I heard new springs, but why? It doesn’t seem to really weigh much. Of all the options it seems the most ridiculously priced.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Denis,

The plastic covering of the Footrest exaggerates the bump significantly. Have a look you will be surprised. I have thought of trying to modify it, but as suggested I wonder if the after market will come up with something.
The thing is that you either have a bump or you don’t. Since there is a bump they went the route of making it a usable foot rest. If you take the plastic out there’s still a bump but now it’s not a usable foot rest and in my opinion would cause more frustration.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:27 PM
Reaction score
He brings up a very good point about the winch. Lack of accessibility along with the gear handle being vulnerable.

What exactly does the winch option do? I heard new springs, but why? It doesn’t seem to really weigh much. Of all the options it seems the most ridiculously priced.
Firstly, I dont need the winch.
I do think it is understandably priced though. It needs a new front crossmember, different springs (also 3rd version if bull bar also fitted) because weight added forward of the axle has a significant effect, and the suspension is superbly tuned.
then, it is fully installed and wired, and fully covered by the original warranty.

by the time you fit a cheaper winch, and do these things, you will spend probably the same, and not have warranty on both winch, and probably front suspension (get out clause).

bear in mind tht ineos had to get the winch past crash testing and design rules for pedestrian safety worldwide. They couldnt have done an exposed one.
so, this winch is very good, but short roped, and less accessible. Might not suit everyone. But that’s why.

Last edited:

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Curious, if one gets the front hitch/winch connection, does it come also come with different springs? My thought was if I got this option along with the rear hitch mount, I could swap a winch from front to rear to add flexibility.

Dumb idea?

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Time for an update. I’m coming up to three months ownership and have covered 5,000 miles. My overall assessment is that I really like this car.

A few observations
  • The seats, and dare I say it, the driving position are excellent. The seats are very comfortable and really supportive. I’ve been to Munich and back over the last two weeks and covered over 2,000 miles in the process. This has included a few seven- and eight-hour driving days, and although tired at the end, not completely wasted. I’ve had no aches or pains and I honestly don’t notice the “hump” anymore. Sure, I had to play with the seat adjustment (getting it as high as possible works best for me) but that was in the first week.
  • The engine and gearbox are fantastic. My engine is starting to loosen up noticeably. Fuel consumption (diesel) on this trip is 25mpg, fully loaded and cruising at or around 130kmh. I have also noticed that it is now much more free revving and holds lower gears for longer.
  • Towing. It just does what it says on the tin. Excellent.
  • Presence. This thing gets a lot of comments wherever you go. I’ve had several people taking photographs, wanting to look inside, thumbs up, the lot.
  • Touring with it has been really easy. Although the rear space isn’t the biggest, I’ve had custom made drawers fitted, together with a small fridge, and easily fitted everything we needed for two weeks.
  • Turning circle is one thing you have to be very mindful of. It’s huge and small car parks are a challenge – doable, but a challenge. U-turns are best avoided!
Things that I need to get fixed. To be honest, given it’s brand new, not that much really.
  • Obviously, I will be pleased once the software update happens – although being patient before starting usually removes all erroneous messages.
  • On long drives, my Android Auto has disconnected and refused to re-connect a couple of times. I think this needs to be looked at.
  • My aircon pipes drip condensation into the passenger footwell, so need some better insulation or something.
I think that’s about it really. Very happy with the car and even more so when I get my outstanding bits and pieces that have still not arrived. I’m glad to see others are having their bits fitted, so hopefully will not be too long now.

The agent, I’m less happy with. I’m going to see if I can change my appointed agent next week, as I’m going to book in for an oil and filter change and the service received so far is beyond poor. Zero communication. Either takes ages, or often does not respond at all, to emails, voicemails, texts or messages left at the associated BMW dealer. So I stop asking questions and just rely on this forum instead. It’s beyond frustrating, so it’s time for a change.
Did you get the “cloth” seats or leather?

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Curious, if one gets the front hitch/winch connection, does it come also come with different springs? My thought was if I got this option along with the rear hitch mount, I could swap a winch from front to rear to add flexibility.

Dumb idea?
DaveB was told that the front hitch does get your springs uprated. I think he ordered it for that reason.
ineos have stated both ways that the front hitch is, and is not suitable for a winch. Theres clarity needed on that point, and force limits.

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
DaveB was told that the front hitch does get your springs uprated. I think he ordered it for that reason.
ineos have stated both ways that the front hitch is, and is not suitable for a winch. Theres clarity needed on that point, and force limits.
🤦🏻‍♂️

dynosoar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

My first report after 1500 miles.

Diesel two seat commercial in magic mushroom.

The general consensus in the thread above echoes my experience which is rather predictable I suppose.
I have had occasions of errors popping up with no obvious trigger. Possibly more often towards the end of a fifty minute drive. These are listed as reduced braking performance along with hill decent electronic stability hill hold etc. nothing that has stopped me from driving on but on a few occasions their arrival was signalled by a single sweep of the wipers.
The car often shows a transmission error at start which quickly disappears and there has been a couple of e call errors too.
Everything mechanical has exceeded expectations to be honest. I have no idea what the fuel consumption is. I have run the engine in gently, so figures are kind of irrelevant at the moment.
One medium duty towing job revealed the expected issue of hitch height being a bit too much for my trailer. The test tyres on the trailer were definitely running hotter that the fronts. A drop plates will fix this assuming all legal etc.
I have not yet had a decent weight in the back but will soon have a portable diesel tank of about 250kg to test that out.

A
2000 miles now.
I would say the series of warnings relating to hill hold decent, ESC, ebc, etc have lessened.
I have had power steering wanting a couple of times and airbags once this week.
The car continues to perform very well and seems to be loosening up nicely - our I am getting used to it.
A

McPharmer II

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
Also from me a first experience report on my petrol version:

I drove the first 1000km this week, 600km of it with family on vacation.
As usual, the known error messages appear, but they become fewer over time. It also helps to wait until all indicator lights have gone out before starting the engine.

The driving comfort is unexpectedly high, my wife and the kids had nothing to complain about after 600km. We drove a BMW 5 Series Touring before.

The consumption is currently at 14L/100km, mostly on the highway. Preferred travel speed is between 120 and 130km/h.
We are currently in the Netherlands, where the speed limit is 100 km/h on the motorway. Let's see how this affects consumption.

Attachments are currently missing, delivery date unknown. My Grenny also collects water between the passenger door seals. I made the seal a little thicker with the "hose trick", I hope it helps.

Regards Helge

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Also from me a first experience report on my petrol version:

I drove the first 1000km this week, 600km of it with family on vacation.
As usual, the known error messages appear, but they become fewer over time. It also helps to wait until all indicator lights have gone out before starting the engine.

The driving comfort is unexpectedly high, my wife and the kids had nothing to complain about after 600km. We drove a BMW 5 Series Touring before.

The consumption is currently at 14L/100km, mostly on the highway. Preferred travel speed is between 120 and 130km/h.
We are currently in the Netherlands, where the speed limit is 100 km/h on the motorway. Let's see how this affects consumption.

Attachments are currently missing, delivery date unknown. My Grenny also collects water between the passenger door seals. I made the seal a little thicker with the "hose trick", I hope it helps.

Regards Helge
I used to drive a Ford F100 out to Broken Hill and the difference in fuel consumption at 100kmh to 120kmh was the difference in making it or running out of fuel.
Unfortunately the Grenadier is a brick on top of two bricks.
With a very upright windscreen and flat grill.
Faster you go the more fuel you will burn.

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With cruise control activated going downhill my Grenadier does not keep to the set speed - it increases well above the set speed. Is this normal?

Also, I have found the transmission to be harsh when reversing uphill around a corner - the car hardly moves then jolts backwards suddenly - not very smooth.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
With cruise control activated going downhill my Grenadier does not keep to the set speed - it increases well above the set speed. Is this normal?

Also, I have found the transmission to be harsh when reversing uphill around a corner - the car hardly moves then jolts backwards suddenly - not very smooth.
Pretty sure that mine was speeding up going downhill in CC. Will have to check. Don’t remember it doing the same in my wife’s BMW.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:27 AM
Reaction score
in the bmw, the car maintains its speed by downshifting and, if necessary with the brakes

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
  • My aircon pipes drip condensation into the passenger footwell, so need some better insulation or something.
Just wanted to follow up in case anyone has the same issue.

I booked my car in for a 5,000 mile oil change at my “new” agent (thanks Heritage Gloucester for a much better experience). They looked into the aircon pipes dripping condensation into the passenger footwell and identified the issue. There was a small split in the drain pipe, which they duly fixed.

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up in case anyone has the same issue.

I booked my car in for a 5,000 mile oil change at my “new” agent (thanks Heritage Gloucester for a much better experience). They looked into the aircon pipes dripping condensation into the passenger footwell and identified the issue. There was a small split in the drain pipe, which they duly fixed.
What's with the high prevalence of split and holed pipes?!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What's with the high prevalence of split and holed pipes?!
Trouble is, four or five members report a similar issue and even we as supporters of the product begin to question why so many with the same problem. In the great scheme, is it many? Either way when are they going to fix my parking sensor? 😁

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:27 AM
Reaction score

Stupid question, but did you have HDC on and used the cruise control buttons to set your speed?

Back
Top Bottom