The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

beanohallett

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:41 PM
Reaction score
Good Morning Folks,

Well the Grenadier has been with me for 2 months now being received on the 19th May 2023, in the 1st batch of 500 according to Lynn Calder.'s message released l during the next week.

Its GREAT !!!, yep a few problems but getting there, be better post software upgrade - due soon. :unsure:

One problem - being a shortarse

I'm still missing the side steps and picnic table, and am wondering if anyone, either from the back log of missing kit or on newly delivered Grenadiers is getting theirs now?

The agent tells me they are coming through.............

But then again he has told me a lot of things that are plucked out of the sky.....

So asking the team!

Local time
Reaction score
when i took delivery of mine in the middle of June, they had installed the side steps which i was very happy with. I am still waiting on the roof rack, the picnic table and a few other things.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
4:41 AM
Reaction score
Home? I'm 300km in to our 17,000km Oz trip with 3T in tow - no. It would be a cluster should that happen.
Just make sure you have the right sized socket and ring spanner ready to go ;)

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good Morning Folks,

Well the Grenadier has been with me for 2 months now being received on the 19th May 2023, in the 1st batch of 500 according to Lynn Calder.'s message released l during the next week.

Its GREAT !!!, yep a few problems but getting there, be better post software upgrade - due soon. :unsure:

One problem - being a shortarse

I'm still missing the side steps and picnic table, and am wondering if anyone, either from the back log of missing kit or on newly delivered Grenadiers is getting theirs now?

The agent tells me they are coming through.............

But then again he has told me a lot of things that are plucked out of the sky.....

So asking the team!
My Grenadier came through late April minus the side steps. Side steps were ready to be fitted in early July however I cancelled for two reasons:
1. The vehicle seems much easier to climb into than my old Defender.
2. I like the look and build of the offerings from Black Sheep and LeTech. Possibly Buzz, also.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No problems with cancelling?

Local time
Reaction score
All these Grenadiers that are now on the road and hardly a few words put together describing first impressions. Photographs are all very well but we want to hear how it makes one feel. What is ones impressions compared to recent journalistic reviews. We are hanging on every word but unfortunately, no words are coming through.
Hi All,

Fieldmaster Diesel Vehicle
Well you want to know about first impressions.

I am six ft 1 in medium build.

I have now driven over 3000miles- off road ( by off road I mean over fields with no hard surface and a lot of mud ) Minor Roads, B Roads, A roads and Motorway.
Longest Journey 420 miles.

Driving position, slightly off centre raised floor under left foot - You very quickly get used this.

Seats are extremely comfortable and perfectly adequate adjustment.
Rear seats - Ample knee room for a 6ft person and as the front seats comfortable

Actual driving - I have not driven or owned a BMW so the gear selector was alien to me, I am getting used to it. Engine and gearbox superb you can be relaxed on lanes at 30mph and comfortable on a motorway at 70mph.
I read a lot about steering - yes it is slightly wooly but I bought the vehicle for its off road ability. Mind you my vehicle has 17in BFG tyres and was supplied with tyre pressures of 42psi in the rears and 39in the front- now reduced to 38 psi rear and 34 psi front vast improvement on all roads.

Off Road - Axle deep in a field - Once I read the instructions on the diff lock , low lock engagement it pulled itself out effortlessly.
Minor Roads B roads - Nothing to say it is a commanding driving position and performs as you would expect.
A roads as above but with excellent overtaking ability when required.

Motorways - Yes at speed you have to concentrate but so you should.

Load carrying - Last journey 140 miles laden with 25kg bags 25 = 625kg made very little difference to either the handling or performance.

One has to consider why one wants one of these vehicles is it for show or as an extremely competent off road work horse.
I have been approached on numerous occasions and asked about the vehicle, people stop to look at it and walk around it. So it will surely satisfy those that want one for show.
As a work tool nothing to add, it ticks all the boxes.
I am not a jounalist, you can probably tell but I am a person that has driven Land Rovers, I learnt to drive on a series 1 and a 11A, my first owned Land Rover was ex Land Rover Oldsmobile V8 series.
I have owned every Land Rover from a 109 SW to 2015 defender SW XS and driven them for thousands of miles. The Grenadier Fieldmaster is a 110 defender on steroids.
I also drive other vehicles Range Rover 4.4, Auto Martin Vantage, Bentley Continental, Ford Ranger ( I do not like this vehicle ). My wife prefers the Grenadier over all bar the Range Rover ( no accounting for taste ).
I use the Grenadier for the purpose I bought it - to replace my Defender 110. I I want speed and handling I can use one of the other vehicles.
My daily driver = Grenadier.

I do admit that Ineos have a few issues to resolve but nothing that stops me enjoying the vehicle,

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:41 PM
Reaction score
Hi All,

Fieldmaster Diesel Vehicle
Well you want to know about first impressions.

I am six ft 1 in medium build.

I have now driven over 3000miles- off road ( by off road I mean over fields with no hard surface and a lot of mud ) Minor Roads, B Roads, A roads and Motorway.
Longest Journey 420 miles.

Driving position, slightly off centre raised floor under left foot - You very quickly get used this.

Seats are extremely comfortable and perfectly adequate adjustment.
Rear seats - Ample knee room for a 6ft person and as the front seats comfortable

Actual driving - I have not driven or owned a BMW so the gear selector was alien to me, I am getting used to it. Engine and gearbox superb you can be relaxed on lanes at 30mph and comfortable on a motorway at 70mph.
I read a lot about steering - yes it is slightly wooly but I bought the vehicle for its off road ability. Mind you my vehicle has 17in BFG tyres and was supplied with tyre pressures of 42psi in the rears and 39in the front- now reduced to 38 psi rear and 34 psi front vast improvement on all roads.

Off Road - Axle deep in a field - Once I read the instructions on the diff lock , low lock engagement it pulled itself out effortlessly.
Minor Roads B roads - Nothing to say it is a commanding driving position and performs as you would expect.
A roads as above but with excellent overtaking ability when required.

Load carrying - Last journey 140 miles laden with 25kg bags 25 = 625kg made very little difference to either the handling or performance.

One has to consider why one wants one of these vehicles is it for show or as an extremely competent off road work horse.
I have been approached on numerous occasions and asked about the vehicle, people stop to look at it and walk around it. So it will surely satisfy those that want one for show.
As a work tool nothing to add, it ticks all the boxes.
I am not a jounalist, you can probably tell but I am a person that has driven Land Rovers, I learnt to drive on a series 1 and a 11A, my first owned Land Rover was ex Land Rover Oldsmobile V8 series.
I have owned every Land Rover from a 109 SW to 2015 defender SW XS and driven them for thousands of miles. The Grenadier Fieldmaster is a 110 defender on steroids.
I also drive other vehicles Range Rover 4.4, Auto Martin Vantage, Bentley Continental, Ford Ranger ( I do not like this vehicle ). My wife prefers the Grenadier over all bar the Range Rover ( no accounting for taste ).
I use the Grenadier for the purpose I bought it - to replace my Defender 110. I I want speed and handling I can use one of the other vehicles.
My daily driver = Grenadier.

I do admit that Ineos have a few issues to resolve but nothing that stops me enjoying the vehicle,
I think I might fall into a similar category as you and hopefully I will have the same experience.

One very sound comment from your report.

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:41 PM
Reaction score
Hello friends, I ordered the car in May of this year and I am waiting, yesterday I was finally able to drive one thanks to Roberto Baeza from Cars Gallery Valencia (Thanks Roberto), the car was a gasoline Trialmaster, and I will tell you my impressions.
I drove it about:
20 km on tracks that are not too broken, it was not necessary to cut short or block, the car behaves wonderfully on gravel, the perfect steering and pulls like a train, in short cuts and with blocks it must be impressive. You cannot test it in more complicated circumstances because the car was not a test car and had to be treated as such. (could not be mistreated)
40 km on mountain roads, you can go at a good 80/90 pace with it, I don't understand the fierce criticism that is being made of the steering of this car, I usually drive a Porsche Cayenne S v8 4.8, and I also have a Defender 110 Td5, and the steering didn't seem bad to me, a recirculating ball steering, less direct than in the Porsche, but much better than that of the Defender, on the road its recoil is somewhat slow but it centers without problems, Only in the case of maneuvers in which you take several turns behind the wheel do you have to help it a little to focus, otherwise it does it more slowly than desirable, but without any problem to drive it and to which you quickly get used to (10'). In fast curves you have to be careful, the 17" wheels slide a lot and forces you to correct the small drift they cause, in any case it is not a sports car and invites you to take driving on twisty roads in a relaxed way, which is not It prevents me from maintaining a good rhythm, even if it was the first time I drove it, when you get used to it, it should be even better
130 km by highway, the car here works very competently, there is not too much noise inside the passenger compartment, rolling noise is heard due to the type of wheel it has, but it allows you to listen to the radio or have a conversation without any difficulty, the The engine and transmission are a delight, it has spectacular acceleration for a car of these characteristics and weight, you can maintain cruises of 120/130 without problems, with a stable and well-placed steering, from those speeds you already realize what you have in your hands, and it begins to inspire less confidence, at least in me, driving a truck of almost 3000Kg makes you notice the speed from a different perspective, the brakes are amazing and stop such a mass very progressively, an emergency stop at more than 130Km, in a mass like this it must be more complicated, I did not like the cruise control, its operation at least in this unit is quite strange, you have to press the button and then press the plus or minus, if not you do it like this it doesn't activate, which I found somewhat cumbersome, another thing that I didn't understand either is that it doesn't deactivate if you step on the brake, which is disconcerting since the moment you stop stepping on the brake the car launches trying to maintain the speed that you had set in the C.C, I think that in this case the C.C does not work correctly, the car is an early production car and it was giving us some of the famous software warnings, it said that the front hood was open, that there was a transmission failure, and a rear seat belt indicated that it was not fastened when there was no one in that seat, but none of that interfered with the behavior of the vehicle, in terms of consumption, since you cannot ask for miracles, the car had 900 Km, on the track giving it a shot going up to the peak of Peñarroya at 2070 with a significant difference in level it marked 25l, on a mountain road on average 15l it indicated 15`8 l/100.
In summary, I really liked the car, the steering is not a problem at all, the turning circle is a bit big but for the habitat to which it is intended you can adapt by doing a little more maneuvering and drawing with knowledge of the facts, the software problems I hope they are solved soon it is not pleasant to listen to "Dong" every two by three even if you know that it does not affect the car, if they are maintained over time it will be more difficult to know if they are software or real, consumption Well, in keeping with the car and the way I drove it, I have asked for the Diesel, in short, a great car in every way and that drives much better than any car of that weight and rigid axles. Regards Paco

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just to add that the multiple tie down points in the rear are pretty handy. Coupled with the mesh on the bulkhead and a load of bungee cords I’ve managed to pack a load of gear and still have plenty floor space left. I also got a makita impact wrench, compressor, batteries, charger and a set of impact sockets under the rear seat.
Result!

Attachments

• IMG_4719.jpeg
    IMG_4719.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4718.jpeg
    IMG_4718.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 112

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Picked mine up today. Donny Grey 2 seater UW. Agent kindly came to pick me up! Excited like a young boy at Christmas. So far I have simply driven it home - no bongs or bings. Have programmed the radio, taken out the metal load space divider completely and begun to plan putting my 2-way comms into it. I had one warning when I'd somehow failed to close the bonnet hard enough. Also I notice it takes ages to lock - no instant central lock "click". It does eventually do it (I think!). I have so many plans for this car and I am really pleased with it. Waiting for the rear folding picnic table, the roof bars and the locking wheel nuts (why!). Otherwise it is as I specified and I am stoked.

1689965407209.png

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Saw this ‘First impression’ on Pistonheads and thought it well written and accurate.

Written on Pistonheads by: JOB2.5-16

In case anyone remotely cares, I collected our Grenadier (Green, diesel, 5 seat station wagon) last Friday tea time from Nottingham. Driving in Nottingham is a tw@ at the best of times.

All delivered Grenadiers will have to go back to receive a software update in the next 2 months, as there are a few spurious error messages which have been appearing in some cars. I got in ours with 14 miles, airbag and TPMS error all the way home… Not a good start. Car did 27mpg on my first drive, which was better than Harry Metcalfe would have you believe. A check of tyre pressures when cold and reset of system has seen that warning light off, I had one “transmission error” bong and disappear on Sunday morning and since then, *no errors, faults or issues.* Touch wood.

The car feels mighty well built, the doors thud closed, the window motors are quiet and fast, the leather steering wheel, seats and materials on touch points are delightful. Some of the dash and load space materials are inescapably plastic but it is a commercial vehicle which can carry a pallet in the back and tow 3500kg, so I don’t mind that. Better than our 110 which is bare metal in the back.

The infotainment and Apple car play is excellent, I have the Compass and Altimeter which as a bit of a child I think is really fun. Overhead switches are cool. Everyone who has sat in the grenadier has had a smile on their face.

Driving. Powertrain is mega refined. Super quiet, smooth and powerful. I am an anomaly among new car owners, I am endeavouring to run it in carefully. I am yet to apply kickdown or full throttle or really load it up. There is mega torque below 2k rpm though and I would say the throttle and brake feel is unmistakably BMW. This is a good thing.

The visibility forward is good, but the roof line is low so occasionally you have to crane to see traffic lights if you’re too close. It’s the same in a G Wagen. Mirrors and backup camera are good.

You are well aware of the mass. 2800kg. It flattens bumps in a way no Range Rover can. It feels incredibly planted on the road and doesn’t roll that much in bends. I haven’t pressed on though and on hills you can hear the engine note change to maintain speed more than in lighter cars. Brakes really cope with the mass but it’s not a car in which you would race along. The engine makes a really pleasing noise. It has a deep voice and sounds very purposeful. There is no mistaking that it has 6 cylinders and is powered by diesel. It it not an EV 😆

The steering. The steering. The elephant in the room. It’s unusual, at first. Recirculating ball, 3.5 turns lock to lock. If you have spent a lot of time in old Mercs, especially old G Wagens it’s not that odd. The only difference is a lack of self centring, you have to know to bring the wheel back, after the first roundabout it becomes second nature and I don’t even think about it when driving now. I jumped from it to the 911 and back to the Grenadier, and adjusted immediately. I see no issue.

I have never had a car draw so much attention. People want to know about it, they’re genuinely excited to see it. I have been on several sites this week and people from the brickies to the directors all want a look. A man in a Freelander literally wound his window down and shouted at me “That’s amazing, it’s the first one I’ve seen!”

Overall I am very taken with it. It does exactly what it says on the tin, it’s unapologetically different but not at the expense of actually being competent at the tasks for which it was designed.

It doesn’t want to be an SUV, it doesn’t want to be limited to the school run, it doesn’t want to glue itself to the M25 and wave orange banners and it probably likes a cigarette with its pint. It’s maybe not “up to standard” for a modern car because it doesn’t have lane departure warning or a mild hybrid system, but I think most modern cars are unimaginative stboxes anyway, so that doesn’t bother me.

I think everyone is welcome to make up their own mind and if people want to write it off as a “Brexit rip off Land Rover”, I’ll leave them to it. ✌🏻

P.S. it is already a bit muddy

Local time
9:41 PM
Reaction score
Just to add that the multiple tie down points in the rear are pretty handy.
Those cargo barriers are a good option to have. Saves your noggin in a crash and a great place to lash lighter gear. 👍

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Saw this ‘First impression’ on Pistonheads and thought it well written and accurate.

Written on Pistonheads by: JOB2.5-16

In case anyone remotely cares, I collected our Grenadier (Green, diesel, 5 seat station wagon) last Friday tea time from Nottingham. Driving in Nottingham is a tw@ at the best of times.

All delivered Grenadiers will have to go back to receive a software update in the next 2 months, as there are a few spurious error messages which have been appearing in some cars. I got in ours with 14 miles, airbag and TPMS error all the way home… Not a good start. Car did 27mpg on my first drive, which was better than Harry Metcalfe would have you believe. A check of tyre pressures when cold and reset of system has seen that warning light off, I had one “transmission error” bong and disappear on Sunday morning and since then, *no errors, faults or issues.* Touch wood.

The car feels mighty well built, the doors thud closed, the window motors are quiet and fast, the leather steering wheel, seats and materials on touch points are delightful. Some of the dash and load space materials are inescapably plastic but it is a commercial vehicle which can carry a pallet in the back and tow 3500kg, so I don’t mind that. Better than our 110 which is bare metal in the back.

The infotainment and Apple car play is excellent, I have the Compass and Altimeter which as a bit of a child I think is really fun. Overhead switches are cool. Everyone who has sat in the grenadier has had a smile on their face.

Driving. Powertrain is mega refined. Super quiet, smooth and powerful. I am an anomaly among new car owners, I am endeavouring to run it in carefully. I am yet to apply kickdown or full throttle or really load it up. There is mega torque below 2k rpm though and I would say the throttle and brake feel is unmistakably BMW. This is a good thing.

The visibility forward is good, but the roof line is low so occasionally you have to crane to see traffic lights if you’re too close. It’s the same in a G Wagen. Mirrors and backup camera are good.

You are well aware of the mass. 2800kg. It flattens bumps in a way no Range Rover can. It feels incredibly planted on the road and doesn’t roll that much in bends. I haven’t pressed on though and on hills you can hear the engine note change to maintain speed more than in lighter cars. Brakes really cope with the mass but it’s not a car in which you would race along. The engine makes a really pleasing noise. It has a deep voice and sounds very purposeful. There is no mistaking that it has 6 cylinders and is powered by diesel. It it not an EV 😆

The steering. The steering. The elephant in the room. It’s unusual, at first. Recirculating ball, 3.5 turns lock to lock. If you have spent a lot of time in old Mercs, especially old G Wagens it’s not that odd. The only difference is a lack of self centring, you have to know to bring the wheel back, after the first roundabout it becomes second nature and I don’t even think about it when driving now. I jumped from it to the 911 and back to the Grenadier, and adjusted immediately. I see no issue.

I have never had a car draw so much attention. People want to know about it, they’re genuinely excited to see it. I have been on several sites this week and people from the brickies to the directors all want a look. A man in a Freelander literally wound his window down and shouted at me “That’s amazing, it’s the first one I’ve seen!”

Overall I am very taken with it. It does exactly what it says on the tin, it’s unapologetically different but not at the expense of actually being competent at the tasks for which it was designed.

It doesn’t want to be an SUV, it doesn’t want to be limited to the school run, it doesn’t want to glue itself to the M25 and wave orange banners and it probably likes a cigarette with its pint. It’s maybe not “up to standard” for a modern car because it doesn’t have lane departure warning or a mild hybrid system, but I think most modern cars are unimaginative stboxes anyway, so that doesn’t bother me.

I think everyone is welcome to make up their own mind and if people want to write it off as a “Brexit rip off Land Rover”, I’ll leave them to it. ✌🏻

P.S. it is already a bit muddy
Thanks for posting. Great review, well written. Guess the haters are flaming him from the comfort of their ugly black sofas.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:41 PM
Reaction score
The Juddering on heavy acceleration in the wet is likely the traction control kicking in as one wheel loses traction, in your case most likely front right.

I have noticed that some cars can judder when cruising, my ford ranger does this. My theory is: Euro5 and onwards engines put no fuel through at idle when coasting. So when you are fully off the accelerator and in gear, coasting or braking, no fuel is being used at all. If you were just at the point of no throttle but fractionally applying some throttle I wonder if some cars cycle from fuel in to no fuel over and over causing a judder?
This is unlikely.

The fuel comes from an ultra-high pressure injection system. And there is no such thing as an "empty" fuel supply or an empty carburetor. The fuel is always under pressure and is injected at the moment it is needed. Immediately. No fuel supply simply means that the injection valves keep closed, holding back the fuel that is under high pressure. The pressure is permanently present, without exception.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is unlikely.

The fuel comes from an ultra-high pressure injection system. And there is no such thing as an "empty" fuel supply or an empty carburetor. The fuel is always under pressure and is injected at the moment it is needed. Immediately. No fuel supply simply means that the injection valves keep closed, holding back the fuel that is under high pressure. The pressure is permanently present, without exception.
I wasn’t meaning the pressure dropped, just that the injectors can’t decide whether to open or not, perhaps cycling between closed and open?

Back
Top Bottom