The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
Saw my first full production vehicles today at the Sydney 4x4 show. Very impressed, definite step up from the PTO versions. Also had another go at sitting in the driver’s seat and adjusting properly and very much reassured that the footrest won’t be an issue once everything is properly adjusted.

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Initial thoughts on the Grenadier

Good:
Drives very well compared to my 76 series Landcruiser
Comfortable seats
The engine and gearbox are nice. It has plenty of power for my needs and the auto shifts smooth
Everything works great so far (haven’t tested the diff locks or winch just yet)
Love the look
Really quiet on the road compared to the Landcruiser
Feels well built and solid
Gets a lot of attention

Not so good:
I don’t like the drivers footwell (I have plans to fix this)
Not much storage in the cabin
Difficult to get into compared to Landcruiser that has a grab handle by the door (and its lifted)
Hate the start stop functionality (why can’t I turn it off permanently!) So stupid to put this in an off roader.
Don’t like the parking sensors (why can’t I turn them off permanently!) useful for a suburban hatchback but annoying in a 4x4.
Not sure about the central dash but will get used to it I guess
The central screen is a bit bright at night (not sure how to turn it down easily)
Not keen on the auto shifter

Overall I think it’s awesome, I just need to get use to all the modern car things that I don’t need getting in the way. Coming from a back-to-basics 2021 76 Landcruiser, that has almost no electronics, It was a bit of a shock.
Really interested in your plans for the footwell. I find that i can live with the foot rest but as the accelerator pedal is offset i have the right hand seat bolster digging into my thigh. I plan to add a cushion of some sort to lift me slightly. Once i have that worked out i will get some seat covers made with the lift built in. Well that's the current plan.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:46 PM
Reaction score
This didn’t age well. Totally sucks @Logsplitter I really hope IA do right by you.
Definitely didn’t age well. No tools with me and didn’t expect to be removing the damper at M23?services. Still waiting for the recovery truck.
Going back to thread my first impression of the AA is they ain’t quick.

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Excellent. I had that feature on my M3 and actually appreciated it because it was so easy to blast past 55 and end up going 90. Doubt the grenadier will earn me many speeding tickets.
Think again, caught on the m25, knew I should have gone diesel and not petrol….gren encourages the inner hooligan in you :)

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Think again, caught on the m25, knew I should have gone diesel and not petrol….gren encourages the inner hooligan in you :)
Agreed the petrol is pretty quick. mine has a speed warning set at 75mph but don’t remember setting that. I’ve got a diesel demo on loan at the moment and my own petrol Grenadier is noticeably quicker and more responsive. Although the diesel having more torque seems to reach top gear quicker and holding the gears under load more. Sometimes I find on the petrol version that I have to ease off on the throttle slightly to get it to drop into gear eight especially after accelerating onto a dual carriageway or motorway. The A34 junction at East Isley going north to Oxford is notoriously difficult and an accident black spot but a breeze to get onto in the petrol Grenadier. For a big lump it’s bloody quick.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Agreed the petrol is pretty quick. mine has a speed warning set at 75mph but don’t remember setting that. I’ve got a diesel demo on loan at the moment and my own petrol Grenadier is noticeably quicker and more responsive. Although the diesel having more torque seems to reach top gear quicker and holding the gears under load more. Sometimes I find on the petrol version that I have to ease off on the throttle slightly to get it to drop into gear eight especially after accelerating onto a dual carriageway or motorway. The A34 junction at East Isley going north to Oxford is notoriously difficult and an accident black spot but a breeze to get onto in the petrol Grenadier. For a big lump it’s bloody quick.
It's good to have a comparison from someone using both in real life daily driving. Be interesting to see how fuel consumptions compare. But hopefully you won't be in a position long enough to find out.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's good to have a comparison from someone using both in real life daily driving. Be interesting to see how fuel consumptions compare. But hopefully you won't be in a position long enough to find out.
Well I have monitored fuel yesterday. . 1 1/2hr motorway run in petrol Grenadier set at 65mph on cruise control 19.7 mpg (imperial). In the diesel on a similar length journey 23.6 mpg cruise set at 65mph although this vehicle had 35 miles on the clock when I took it home so engine still a bit tight I guess.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Over the weekend, whilst driving my Diesel SW with 3000 miles in torrential rain on the M1 a couple of observations that I thought I would post.
1. Was in some ways glad to be in torrential raid for over two hours. Showed my particular vehicle was water tight.
2.Heavy rain and in slow lane. Decide to overtake a Transit van travelling at 55 mph. Check all clear and hit the accelerator hard. The Grenadier responded as expected but there was a judder through the vehicle as though the wheels were slipping. Tried to repeat the manoeuvre where safe to see it the vehicle responded in same way. It didn’t so perhaps the road was just extremely slippery and the wheels / wheel had indeed scrabbled for grip.
3. On return journey in the dry at 65 mph in CC. Vehicle gave an almost imperceptible judder as though about to run out of diesel. It was enough to make me wary although my remaining 100 mile’s continued without drama.
Just thought I would mention the above for the record.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Over the weekend, whilst driving my Diesel SW with 3000 miles in torrential rain on the M1 a couple of observations that I thought I would post.
1. Was in some ways glad to be in torrential raid for over two hours. Showed my particular vehicle was water tight.
2.Heavy rain and in slow lane. Decide to overtake a Transit van travelling at 55 mph. Check all clear and hit the accelerator hard. The Grenadier responded as expected but there was a judder through the vehicle as though the wheels were slipping. Tried to repeat the manoeuvre where safe to see it the vehicle responded in same way. It didn’t so perhaps the road was just extremely slippery and the wheels / wheel had indeed scrabbled for grip.
3. On return journey in the dry at 65 mph in CC. Vehicle gave an almost imperceptible judder as though about to run out of diesel. It was enough to make me wary although my remaining 100 mile’s continued without drama.
I'm not surprised at the "judder" from breaking traction in the heavy rain! The vehicle at 55mph in the top three gears is smack in the max. torque band (1250-3000 rpm) and heading towards the max power band (3250 -4200)! :devilish:
What was the fuel gauge showing on the return journey?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not surprised at the "judder" from breaking traction in the heavy rain! The vehicle at 55mph in the top three gears is smack in the max. torque band (1250-3000 rpm) and heading towards the max power band (3250 -4200)! :devilish:
What was the fuel gauge showing on the return journey?
Gauge showing at half full which was commensurate with distance covered. That was my first 'inward' question. Was I running low on fuel? On arriving home I was showing a remaining distance of 140 miles.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Juddering on heavy acceleration in the wet is likely the traction control kicking in as one wheel loses traction, in your case most likely front right.

I have noticed that some cars can judder when cruising, my ford ranger does this. My theory is: Euro5 and onwards engines put no fuel through at idle when coasting. So when you are fully off the accelerator and in gear, coasting or braking, no fuel is being used at all. If you were just at the point of no throttle but fractionally applying some throttle I wonder if some cars cycle from fuel in to no fuel over and over causing a judder?

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Although I can’t get my hands on my own Grenadier yet, a friend has kindly loaned me one for our trip to France. So here are my first impressions.
Its a petrol N1. It goes very nicely, I love the sound of the petrol, nicer than the diesel. The car has thrown up a few warnings, but they have disappeared quickly enough. Its very nice to drive, the steering doesn’t bother me at all, its precise enough and tracks true on the road.
The ride is fantastic for a vehicle with live axles, I mean really good! I’m blown away by how it handles, body roll is also way less than you’d expect. I think it rolls less than my old disco 3 which had independent air suspension. I have fitted a rack, RTT and 270 awning so I’ve got about 145Kg on the roof now. It definetely rolls more in the bends with that lot up there but it still rolls less than my old 110 did empty. Really impressive!

I have not been off roading in it but I have been down a few rough tracks ( I live down one) it handles bumps so well, the ride is excellent. It will be a great vehicle for dirt roads, it absorbs the terrain so well.

The seats are great, and the footrest doesn’t bother me. We’ll see how I feel once I’ve driven to Cannes though.

The rear legroom isn’t great even for my kids, I will definitely be moving the seats back in mine when I get it.

I have towed a trailer with it and whilst it wasn’t a heavy load It towed really nicely. The reversing camera is good and makes hitching up easy, it would have been even better if it was central but its ok where it is.

Overall its a great truck, they need to iron out the software glitches but mechanically it‘s better than I could have hoped for.

Attachments

• F184879C-BC19-46B2-B27D-0C55ADC11F98.jpeg
    F184879C-BC19-46B2-B27D-0C55ADC11F98.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 77EB52E5-960C-441E-AF9B-12D6C2C7218D.jpeg
    77EB52E5-960C-441E-AF9B-12D6C2C7218D.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 59

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Although I can’t get my hands on my own Grenadier yet, a friend has kindly loaned me one for our trip to France. So here are my first impressions.
Its a petrol N1. It goes very nicely, I love the sound of the petrol, nicer than the diesel. The car has thrown up a few warnings, but they have disappeared quickly enough. Its very nice to drive, the steering doesn’t bother me at all, its precise enough and tracks true on the road.
The ride is fantastic for a vehicle with live axles, I mean really good! I’m blown away by how it handles, body roll is also way less than you’d expect. I think it rolls less than my old disco 3 which had independent air suspension. I have fitted a rack, RTT and 270 awning so I’ve got about 145Kg on the roof now. It definetely rolls more in the bends with that lot up there but it still rolls less than my old 110 did empty. Really impressive!

I have not been off roading in it but I have been down a few rough tracks ( I live down one) it handles bumps so well, the ride is excellent. It will be a great vehicle for dirt roads, it absorbs the terrain so well.

The seats are great, and the footrest doesn’t bother me. We’ll see how I feel once I’ve driven to Cannes though.

The rear legroom isn’t great even for my kids, I will definitely be moving the seats back in mine when I get it.

I have towed a trailer with it and whilst it wasn’t a heavy load It towed really nicely. The reversing camera is good and makes hitching up easy, it would have been even better if it was central but its ok where it is.

Overall its a great truck, they need to iron out the software glitches but mechanically it‘s better than I could have hoped for.
Hell of a good friend 😄

Back
Top Bottom