The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
But it looks _so_much_better_ without them! It's worth the effort at getting in and out. Btw exercising keeps us healthy ;-)

Congrats and envy from still starving Germany!
Ha.. very subjective subject.. I’m 6’4 and find the steps very helpful in getting in and out.. I foresee a long term problem for those who rub their backsides over the seat side bolster. Both for the bolster and your trousers.. I personally feel they add to the look even if they catch lots of mud flick.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
The auto box is fine but from pull away is not as crisp as sportier cars with dual clutch shift systems I have had.
Well that’s hardly surprising since it is a 2.7t brick.
Touch screen/media set up will require some getting used to (not immediately/instinctively obvious where specific information is hidden) but I am sure it will be work for me, audio system seems fine to me (and the car is pretty quiet).
See @Ingemar excellent YouTube video just out in this which goes through everything

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:01 PM
Reaction score
Yes the weight will make a difference, but the difference I was referring to was more of the slipping clutch sensation that one had on older auto boxes. My dual clutch experience is that the auto change changed gear as effectively/efficiently as me doing so with a manual box. I had expected that sort of sensation with the Grenadier box. From pull away that is not the case. It is perfectly usable but does not feel as honed/precise as I had expected. Perhaps I am being too gentle with the accelerator and that is “confusing” the gearbox?

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes the weight will make a difference, but the difference I was referring to was more of the slipping clutch sensation that one had on older auto boxes. My dual clutch experience is that the auto change changed gear as effectively/efficiently as me doing so with a manual box. I had expected that sort of sensation with the Grenadier box. From pull away that is not the case. It is perfectly usable but does not feel as honed/precise as I had expected. Perhaps I am being too gentle with the accelerator and that is “confusing” the gearbox?
That ‘slipping’ feeling is part of the design of an automatic. It is the torque converter doing its job. A dual clutch gearbox is very different to an automatic. There’s pros and cons to the differences; a torque converter is going to be very useful offroad, and i suspect this auto is going to be more reliable and longer term without overhaul than any dual clutch would be in this car.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi there. I've got mine on order with JT Hughes - any advise on the handover or quality inspection part?
All good for me Gwynn. Ben Hughes picked me up from Leicester and Mark Godbold did the handover. Went like clockwork 😎

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some first observations:
  • Surprisingly quiet at 60-70mph given the upright windscreen and boxy shape. I too noticed some vibration at a certain cruising speed as others have mentioned. Will see if this settles down as the car loosens up.
  • The TPMS (tyre pressure system) kept alerting me to 2 tyres being slightly high. Will measure the pressure tomorrow and adjust if necessary but it might be a gremlin that INEOS will fine tune in a next update. The local agent said that INEOS may release further updates to iron out some early gremlins.
  • The touch screen shows an incredible amount of useful info. It can be hard to see in bright sunlight. I would have preferred it to be slightly angled towards the driver.
  • The car was handed over with a full tank of diesel which was nice. And it had about 20 miles on the clock.
  • Android Auto - needs to be plugged in to the USB-C port for Google Maps to work etc - yuck.
  • Audio is OK. Not much bass. But haven't tried the equaliser yet.
  • Auto transmission is fab, and can be surprisingly punchy when overtaking!
  • Boy does the car get plenty of looks - "what the hell is it?" 🤣
  • The car had some paint scuffs on the drivers door sill which will be seen to by the agent when I return to have the accessories fitted.
  • All in all extremely happy. LOVE it.

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some first observations:
  • Surprisingly quiet at 60-70mph given the upright windscreen and boxy shape. I too noticed some vibration at a certain cruising speed as others have mentioned. Will see if this settles down as the car loosens up.
  • The TPMS (tire pressure system) kept alerting me to 2 tires being slightly high. Will measure the tire pressure tomorrow and adjust if necessary but it might be a gremlin that INEOS will fine tune in a next update. The local agent said that INEOS may release further updates to iron out some early gremlins.
  • The touch screen shows an incredible amount of useful info. It can be hard to see in bright sunlight. I would have preferred it to be slightly angled towards the driver.
  • The car was handed over with a full tank of diesel which was nice. And it had about 20 miles on the clock.
  • Android Auto - needs to be plugged in to the USB-C port for Google Maps to work etc - yuck.
  • Audio is OK. Not much bass. But haven't tried the equaliser yet.
  • Auto transmission is fab, and can be surprisingly punchy when overtaking!
  • Boy does the car get plenty of looks - "what the hell is it?" 🤣
  • The car had some paint scuffs on the drivers door sill which will be seen to by the agent when I return to have the accessories fitted.
  • All in all extremely happy. LOVE it.
More feedback needed - but so far the vibration issue seems a problem on very low milage Grenadiers (as many owners have now experienced it) that may need to be addressed.

Around 2,000rpm.....but is it only in 8th gear and only at higher speed (+70mph) or at other speeds & gears.

There are a whole lot of different factors causing this vibration: so until we have more info on the exact circumstances; revs, speed, gears, turning, straight line driving, diff locks on or off, other driving modes etc. etc. it would be hard to know the appropriate response.

It's difficult to imagine this didn't occur and was remedied during the +1 million KM's of testing the BMW engine mated to the ZF.

Was this issue commented on in any of the Scottish drive reviews?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
More feedback needed - but so far the vibration issue seems a problem on very low milage Grenadiers (as many owners have now experienced it) that may need to be addressed.

Around 2,000rpm.....but is it only in 8th gear and only at higher speed (+70mph) or at other speeds & gears.

There are a whole lot of different factors causing this vibration: so until we have more info on the exact circumstances; revs, speed, gears, turning, straight line driving, diff locks on or off, other driving modes etc. etc. it would be hard to know the appropriate response.

It's difficult to imagine this didn't occur and was remedied during the +1 million KM's of testing the BMW engine mated to the ZF.

Was this issue commented on in any of the Scottish drive reviews?
Also need to take account of tyre/wheel combination, balance and tyre pressures, plus check tyres for " out of round"...
EDIT: Have the wheel nuts been properly tightened🤨?

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some more random thoughts...
  • Doors have to be slammed shut otherwise they don't close properly
  • The door sills need bigger protection plates - it is way too easy to scuff the paintwork.
  • The plastic cargo flooring can be removed easily for cleaning. Too slippery for the dogs. Need boot liner.
  • The speedo location wasn't a problem for me - got used to it in a few mins
  • The RHD footrest. I don't get what all the fuss is about?? 😄
  • Take care with your first roundabout- I caused a wobble by overcompensating. You need to relax your arms and keep movements small. Takes a few minutes to get used to the recirculating thingamajig.
  • There's an external rectangular fixing next to the windscreen (x2, driver side) one of the screws has some surface rust. What do I spray on it?
  • Got the DAB radio working in a couple of minutes. All good. A/C powerful.
  • Rear reversing camera video on touch screen is way too small! Needs to fill whole screen.
  • Had some giggles hauling mum into the car for a spin around the village.
  • Windscreen wipers seem ridiculously small for the size of the car 🤣
  • Electric windows lower super fast!
  • Love the door armrest location!
  • VERY comfortable seats.
  • Other than compulsory manspread due to rear seat transmission floor hump, family found rear seats comfy with plenty of headroom
  • Fuel economy - don't buy the car if this is your primary concern. It's thirsty!

Last edited:

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:01 AM
Reaction score
Ha.. very subjective subject.. I’m 6’4 and find the steps very helpful in getting in and out.. I foresee a long term problem for those who rub their backsides over the seat side bolster. Both for the bolster and your trousers.. I personally feel they add to the look even if they catch lots of mud flick.
Certainly true. It really is kind of an exercise getting in hardly touching the bolster.
Don't care about my trousers, my cars are my dress, and they look _way_ better than I do :)

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:01 PM
Reaction score
could anyone with the leather option please take a photo of the inside of one of the doors, the bit with the switches/speaker etc
Also got 2 sets of 3 keys, What is the little silver one for??
thanks

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
  • The door sills need bigger protection plates - it is way too easy to scuff the paintwork.
  • The plastic cargo flooring can be removed easily for cleaning. Too slippery for the dogs. Need boot liner.
  • Take care with your first roundabout- I caused a wobble by overcompensating. You need to relax your arms and keep movements small. Takes a few minutes to get used to the recirculating thingamajig.
  • There's an external rectangular fixing next to the windscreen (x4, 2 each side) one of the screws has some surface rust. What do I spray on it?
  • Rear reversing camera video on touch screen is way too small! Needs to fill whole screen.
  • Other than compulsory manspread due to floor hump, family found rear seats comfy with plenty of headroom
  • Fuel economy - don't buy the car if this is your primary concern. It's thirsty!
RHD footrest is ok but you need to manspread...? Haha.

Reactions: @nd

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Funny you say that but the figure is dollars and cents in the contract and how did they arrive at that...not concerned in the slightest just curious;)
Add the appropriate tax and it might become a nice round figure ~ it does in UK:
My Ineos contract contained an amount of £83.34 specificifically for fuel. Do Hedin contracts not also have an amount for fuel?
Plus VAT at 20% = £100. 👍

Whether it's a VAT able supply is a different matter...

Reactions: Max

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
could anyone with the leather option please take a photo of the inside of one of the doors, the bit with the switches/speaker etc
Also got 2 sets of 3 keys, What is the little silver one for??
thanks
cuddy box and or spare wheel cover lock??

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
  • There's an external rectangular fixing next to the windscreen (x4, 2 each side) one of the screws has some surface rust. What do I spray on it?
  • Other than compulsory manspread due to floor hump, family found rear seats comfy with plenty of headroom
Thanks for your review. On the point of any surface rust I would use acf50 I use on all my previous vehicles and bicycles. It will kill existing rust inhibit any new rust and thin enough to creep in to joints/cavities to help prevent peeling paint and reach areas not visible.
Ill be looking for a full size load liner for my Grenadier as I agree on slippery floor
can’t wait to get mine

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
for my understanding: cans are installed, ordered and paid for without inner workings?
and if i want to use it do i have to disassemble and install it?
ridiculous!
I will complain when acceptance and insist on improvement!
I think you have the wrong end of the stick.

You've paid for the socket, and Ineos have given you some extra bits to ensure it's IP integrity.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Initially the torque converter was described as a heavy duty, Ineos design, bespoke to the Grenadier. So maybe it's slower acting to allow the full range of loadings, both on and offroad?

Back
Top Bottom