The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Sick of waiting

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:23 PM
Reaction score
I just got a quote on a 79 series Toyota DCPU. Brand new RHD from factory in Japan Arab spec import, no EGR, no DPF, No adblue. 23 plate uk registered. Here in 8 weeks..£70k…. I have to say I’m tempted…. No manufacturers warranty, parts availability might be iffy…. But even so.…. Its a proper sounding v8…

I wouldn’t cancel my order as I could likely flip the grenadier for a profit.. I’m really torn now..
I understand that a car is a car and that is reasonable imagine it as a "it", an utilitarian asset.
JR tried to convince himself that his industrial adventure is just the attempt to continue a tradition of a strong utilitarian vehicle, named Series, Defender...
Obviously things are in a different way and nobody of us would spend a minute in a forum like this if all the fuss would be just about an utilitarian vehicle.
Owning a vehicle produced with a great amount of passion and financial risk (great engineering and entrepreneurial effort still considered indispensable and taken for granted) is something different.
Many Grenadiers, I hope, will be bought for utilitarian reasons, as in the past many Defenders, but I feel strange, for people spending time in a forum dedicated to a car like this, considering a Toyota DCPU, manufactured without any of the long and deeply shared steps of the process that we are able to appreciate thanks to JR, an alternative to a Grenadier.
Just my humble and passionate opinion about a car which conception I'm followinf for years until now.

To

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
I just got a quote on a 79 series Toyota DCPU. Brand new RHD from factory in Japan Arab spec import, no EGR, no DPF, No adblue. 23 plate uk registered. Here in 8 weeks..£70k…. I have to say I’m tempted…. No manufacturers warranty, parts availability might be iffy…. But even so.…. Its a proper sounding v8…

I wouldn’t cancel my order as I could likely flip the grenadier for a profit.. I’m really torn now..
Good car. But they rust faster than you can watch. Not comparable with a Grenadier. You can hardly keep them running for more than 15 years. At least in a salty environment.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:23 AM
Reaction score
That would be a young dickhead compilation
Tradies with too much money and not enough sense.
I didn’t say i was going to drive it like that….. but it even sounds great on tickover.

Its probably not the ideal solution for me, although it would hold its money incredibly well over here. And that sound! That sound!
I once drove through the tunnel at Leeds Bradford airport 4 times just so I could floor my mates R8 and listen to the beautiful noise…

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
My dealer has just rung me to tell me that my Grenadier is marked ready for "Transport" from Hambach. They have been advised to be ready to receive it and he is muttering that they have been ready since June!

He also made a throwaway comment about the software update, "idle stabilisation, to keep emissions low", anyway supposed not to be a big deal. More irritating, I cannot put my personal plate on from day one, it will have a "23" plate on first.

Jeremy would you be able to expand on why you couldn’t put your private plate on straight away and it would have to be on a 23 plate.

Is that your choice (swanky new 23 plate), or as you seem to imply it’s being forced on you.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do we know if any more completed vehicles have left the factory for the UK yet? Since those first 5 customer cars landed with dealers it seems to have been all quiet on the western front...
Seen two in a local dealership here in UK. Awaiting whatever, prior to release. Software updates I am assuming.

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just been in to see my Agent / Dealer as passing.
They are really nice guys / super helpful and showed me round their delivery section.
They have 8 customer cars all awaiting hand over and given their new car experience, confirm they are all extremely well built and have zero defects.
There was by chance an Ineos engineer on site doing software upgrades.
Whilst the agent is still not permitted to do any handovers he seemed to indicate they may be released within the next week (not guaranteed).
Mine is built and hopefully being delivered within the next two weeks 🤞🤞🤞.
The agent is very wary of giving specific dates to customers as the process is still clearly fragile and "out of their hands".
Sounds positive

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I really want the VIN, so I can talk to the insurers, (you don't actually need the registration to insure a vehicle in the UK).
My agent got me mine early in Jan. I signed a contract back in November but My Account didn't show it in production until February.

If yours is about to ship then I believe it should be visible in part of the agent's portal.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Jeremy would you be able to expand on why you couldn’t put your private plate on straight away and it would have to be on a 23 plate.

Is that your choice (swanky new 23 plate), or as you seem to imply it’s being forced on you.
I'm told the vehicle will be registered by Ineos, (usually the dealer would do it online with the DVLA and can put the retained plate on immediately), by post with the DVLA. For some reason, they cannot do the registration with a personalised plate.

I'd guess there is an issue with the Certificates of Conformity or homologation, that needs direct intervention, or they have not thought through the agency process properly.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I'm told the vehicle will be registered by Ineos, (usually the dealer would do it online with the DVLA and can put the retained plate on immediately), by post with the DVLA. For some reason, they cannot do the registration with a personalised plate.

I'd guess there is an issue with the Certificates of Conformity or homologation, that needs direct intervention, or they have not thought through the agency process properly.

FFS, it just gets better. My Mrs will be dead chuffed when I tell her the personalised plate she bought for my birthday to go on the IG won’t be going on the IG !!

I think Fred’s car import service could have done a better job.

So that will be more money to put the plate on at some stage as opposed from doing it at source.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
FFS, it just gets better. My Mrs will be dead chuffed when I tell her the personalised plate she bought for my birthday to go on the IG won’t be going on the IG !!

I think Fred’s car import service could have done a better job.

So that will be more money to put the plate on at some stage as opposed from doing it at source.
Should be free as the transfer fee should have been included in the v317 ( I think it’s called that). I’ve got the same situation in so far that IA will register it not the dealer. I’ve given my dealer the retention certificate and they will do the paperwork online and fit the plates.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Should be free as the transfer fee should have been included in the v317 ( I think it’s called that). I’ve got the same situation in so far that IA will register it not the dealer. I’ve given my dealer the retention certificate and they will do the paperwork online and fit the plates.
That can't be right...it sounds like a solution to a problem....Happy motoring ;)

Attachments

• GetAttachmentThumbnail.png
    GetAttachmentThumbnail.png
    116.5 KB · Views: 29

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's a nice touch by the agent ~ going that extra mile. 👌

As you say plates bought from DVLA usually have the assignment fee included in the cost, so the most anyone should be out is for a set of plates, and maybe some double sided tape.

The plates can be seen as an investment if you want to keep the personal plate and sell the vehicle, you’ll have them to put back on.

I also need a plate for the trailer.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

Hopefully you are 100% correct Pragmatic. This is the first private plate I have had and didn’t particularly want it as it’s not my thing. However as it was a lovely present then I will be fitting it, I will have to speak to the agent come the time.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hopefully you are 100% correct Pragmatic. This is the first private plate I have had and didn’t particularly want it as it’s not my thing. However as it was a lovely present then I will be fitting it, I will have to speak to the agent come the time.
They’ll just need the dvla retention certificate to make it happen.. go on, what’s on the private plate?

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:23 PM
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
I chatted with Ineos this morning, the friendly lady apologized but couldn't do ANYTHING! tell me about my order number. I should contact my dealer. I did that yesterday. Also unsuccessful. I have to admit that I'm starting to get sick of waiting and I'm thinking of plan B with another vehicle. :-(

Back
Top Bottom