The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Sick of waiting

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:00 PM
Reaction score
They use a top tier scanning system - basically as good as it gets for 3D laser scanning, and it has very tight tolerances. Japanese made Mazda's had a similar system, one which gave accuracies on final panel folding to 0.15m-0.2mm. Not sure how tight the IG has been made to but would assume it will be rather tight.
The external fit and finish of the PTOs I have seen exceeded my expectations, they are very nicely done.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I think any car manufacturer folding panels .5mm or less will have NO problems in presented quality...
All that will be undone by the hard offroading anyway :LOL:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think any car manufacturer folding panels .5mm or less will have NO problems in presented quality...
At one stage, I had a succession of GM Holden models.... the joke regarding various model Toranas was that every door ever produced required its own individual part number, such was the variation!;)

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Standard industry joke was as follows:
At Mercedes they would test the G-Wagen's door seals by putting a cat in it. When they came back the next day, if the cat had suffocated the seals were good.
At Land Rover, they did the same test with the Defender and if they came back the next day and the cat was still in the vehicle, the seals were good.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
BTW: I don't know, but do they have 3D scanners for parts and complete cars where toleranes are measured over time to see if they run away? Data is then fed back to the machinery to compensate that. I guess as not all chassis parts made by Ineos that could be difficult to cover the whole car. However, does someone know if such systems are used?
Zeiss Pro T machines

Manufacturers repeat mistakes like these cost cutting rounds or because they keep their suppliers short on budget or maybe as a new player with no experience you hand out poor data to suppliers because you do not know what is common, yet. Listen to people who worked or work in the car industry and you hear that again and again. You get what you pay for.
There's plenty of money in the auto industry, maybe just not in the right areas - look at the money spent on marketing and press junkets.

No supplier is immune from mistakes, the weekly recall notices make interesting reading to confirm that.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I personally don't want any publicity either on handover but I'd be happy for the vehicle to be photgraphed if it assists the agent/dealer in their promotion of the brand.
Most of the social media pages of the more interesting dealers would be empty if this was not the case. I wonder if the owners are actually asked, as in many cases the vehicle technically isn't theirs until later.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
At one stage, I had a succession of GM Holden models.... the joke regarding various model Toranas was that every door ever produced required its own individual part number, such was the variation!;)
Where's the skilled assembly line workers when you need then:

View: https://youtu.be/V_t4k02oN84

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well tomorrow is the one year anniversary of my 'early hand raiser' order and I have seen zero progress in that time: No contract, no production information available from either my agent or Ineos Customer Services. I have contacted Ineos again today for an update but unless they come back with good news I think at this stage I'll bow out gracefully and come back in 3-4 years time once/if Ineos get their sh1t together.

1681822613156.png

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:00 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I have just had a conversation with my dealer; looking at a Saturday AM handover.
It's not a done deal yet, there are some updates to the software still outstanding, the tow ball needs changing and we don't know the initial registration either. As I am not towing anything for a few weeks, so long as Ineos do what they intend, all should be well.

Sunday I am marshalling the Classic CiCle race, http://cicleclassic.co.uk/, I will probably be at Pickwell

Picture1.png

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
That’s the best I ever heard of for a Defender 😂
You can always spot an amateur rebuild of a Defender or a Series, the panel fit is usually OK to good, as the poor sod will have spent hours getting it to "as good as it can be", whereas the professionals will have given up at "as much time as I am able to bill for".

Back when I was a Porsche apprentice and the ARG dealer was across the car park, the general panel fit for Land Rover, (and everything else ARG, come to that), was "where it touches"

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
You can always spot an amateur rebuild of a Defender or a Series, the panel fit is usually OK to good, as the poor sod will have spent hours getting it to "as good as it can be", whereas the professionals will have given up at "as much time as I am able to bill for".

Back when I was a Porsche apprentice and the ARG dealer was across the car park, the general panel fit for Land Rover, (and everything else ARG, come to that), was "where it touches"
My doors are so different in fitting as it can be. The rear right one has five or so washers under the locking bolt…

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have just had a conversation with my dealer; looking at a Saturday AM handover.
It's not a done deal yet, there are some updates to the software still outstanding, the tow ball needs changing and we don't know the initial registration either. As I am not towing anything for a few weeks, so long as Ineos do what they intend, all should be well.

Sunday I am marshalling the Classic CiCle race, http://cicleclassic.co.uk/, I will probably be at Pickwell

View attachment 7808859
Jeremy who is your dealer??

Mussels

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well tomorrow is the one year anniversary of my 'early hand raiser' order and I have seen zero progress in that time: No contract, no production information available from either my agent or Ineos Customer Services. I have contacted Ineos again today for an update but unless they come back with good news I think at this stage I'll bow out gracefully and come back in 3-4 years time once/if Ineos get their sh1t together.

View attachment 7808851
Hold on G-Man. You ordered on 19 May - tomorrow is still April, so only 11 months!

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7808851
I have to say, if I was in your position I probably would have given up. Mine is still a long way from being in my driveway here in Australia, however my contract has been signed, my portal says in production, my dealer informs me the car physic exists, still no idea when it will clear hold or get on a ship, but each one if those little steps have been enough to keep me in, keep me excited and keep me engaged. If I was still in your position I am pretty sure I would have thrown the toys out of the pram.

Back
Top Bottom