The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Reviews Coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:04 AM
Reaction score
that Scottish White in the Scottish Highlands
If this is really Scottish White they had better call it Yellow Snow compared to the white on the mountains.

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
Very nice although those awnings are pretty flimsy. It looks like the slightest breeze would collapse them. I’ve checked them out an overland show and the hinge/joints wouldn’t stand up to serious use in my view.
The awning on my defender was self supporting and you could put poles and guy ropes for breezy conditions. Could also hang off it and do pull up if you were that way inclined and not too heavy of course. The only plus side to those awnings from what I can gather is that they are light weight.
I’m with you, in my case I’d lean towards a simple roll-out version, but I believe the major argument is that they’re quick to deploy.
Guy them down and I think they’d be OK. In my experience the problem is wind getting under and lifting the awning, so pinning the thing down is the crucial step.
Do you have a 270 in mind?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah I like those as well, having said that I am still skeptical that the joints would stand up to a big gust of wind, you can tie it down as a safety but still not as rigid as with a pole tied down which limits up and down movement in gusty winds. I like to leave mine set up overnight etc when camping and you never know if you might get some weather overnight

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah I like those as well, having said that I am still skeptical that the joints would stand up to a big gust of wind, you can tie it down as a safety but still not as rigid as with a pole tied down which limits up and down movement in gusty winds. I like to leave mine set up overnight etc when camping and you never know if you might get some weather overnight
I don't do camping so that won't impact me.

Reactions: Max

Rooballer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I have one of these, incredibly robust, have been in some very average weather, and when really windy or rainy we just peg it down. And you have the option of using poles as well if particularly nasty.

The biggest advantage with these over other awnings I’ve owned is the speed and ease of deployment, meaning we use it way more often. B325C18C-006D-4392-8585-022105092A21.jpeg3E85760B-9461-4170-B78C-2BE887AEDFE0.jpeg

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It will be the third thing going on my grenadier
Frontrunner slimline 2 rack
Lazerlamps lights
then this
Then attachments for maxtracks to go on when I am going 4wding, not permanently
Come on Dave - Maxtrax should be on 365, especially for trips to the coffee shop

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:04 PM
Reaction score
I’m with you, in my case I’d lean towards a simple roll-out version, but I believe the major argument is that they’re quick to deploy.
Guy them down and I think they’d be OK. In my experience the problem is wind getting under and lifting the awning, so pinning the thing down is the crucial step.
Do you have a 270 in mind?
The one I had on my defender was a 270 degree ostrich wing. Super strong frame, pivot point and canvas. Heavy though. I’ve looked over those bush company ones and again a really well built strong frame. Front runner is good stuff too. For me durability and ease of deployment are most important. Weight not so. With the one I had you could use without poles or drop down poles and guy rope could be deployed. I’ll probably source from Tufftrek in U.K. as a good company to deal with 👍🏼

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The one I had on my defender was a 270 degree ostrich wing. Super strong frame, pivot point and canvas. Heavy though. I’ve looked over those bush company ones and again a really well built strong frame. Front runner is good stuff too. For me durability and ease of deployment are most important. Weight not so. With the one I had you could use without poles or drop down poles and guy rope could be deployed. I’ll probably source from Tufftrek in U.K. as a good company to deal with 👍🏼
I want to be able to stop somewhere.
Deploy the wing
Unfold the chair
Get a drink from the fridge.
I'll accept 10 minutes but aim for 5

Local time
Reaction score
Deploy the wing
Unfold the chair
Agreed, I have tried a range of awnings with our demountable/pickup combo and dumped them all for freestanding Quest Pro Screenhouse. Not as macho as these field shelters but I'm sat with a beer in hand in 3-4 minutes oh and midge free to boot.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Deploy the wing
Unfold the chair
You need a free standing awning maybe 270degree such as ostrich wing, front runner, bush company. Deployed in a couple of minutes as no support legs or guys needed if not windy. And by the way check the quality. We had a Eazyawn 270 and buckled in the first wind !

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I have to have space for the shovel, axe and large coil of rope
1.For deep environmentally sensitive poo hole
2. To remove large tree across the road, after yet another Qld "weather event"
3. For winching a cow out of a bog by the horns. See Malcolm Douglas film for technique.

:LOL:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:04 PM
Reaction score
Those trucks look great. The buck, on the other hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom