The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Australasia oops

tnkatoy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:17 PM
Reaction score
Congratulations Dave ... it's reassuring to hear someone finally getting what seems to have become something of an elusive concept. It’s been a bit of a journey since paying the holding deposit back in October 21, a vote of support for Sir Jim Ratcliffe's idea at the time. We have been rewarded with a vehicle that I have confidence in, but I can't say I have the same confidence in Ineos itself though.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score
Good luck Dave - it's looks like a great house in a nice part of the world - why are you moving again???
It has become too busy and crowded on the Gold Coast and with only myself and my wife left in a 6 bedroom 570m2 house it is unnecessary.
Plus this should give us enough money to pay off both our mortgages, buy the Grenadier and a Suzuki Jimny for cash, build the shed for the Grenadier, renovate our other house and hopefully have a couple of hundred thousand left over.
Now that I am 60 and my wife is 63 we have to be debt free and living in a good place.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Congratulations Dave ... it's reassuring to hear someone finally getting what seems to have become something of an elusive concept. It’s been a bit of a journey since paying the holding deposit back in October 21, a vote of support for Sir Jim Ratcliffe's idea at the time. We have been rewarded with a vehicle that I have confidence in, but I can't say I have the same confidence in Ineos itself though.
I still have the feeling that in a few years time some other automotive manufacturer with buy IA
BMW?
Volkswagen?
Toyota?

Local time
12:47 AM
Reaction score
I still have the feeling that in a few years time some other automotive manufacturer with buy IA
BMW?
Volkswagen?
Toyota?
I was thinking it would make sense for BMW to buy and open up a new market segment, compete with G Wagon etc. Also means they keep the engine ‘in house’.

I think this strategy doesn’t really align with the push to electric etc so this is the obvious headwind.

tnkatoy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Oh no … even more urgency to buy a Grenadier now before BMW gets hold of it and turns it into a 250k M Series Grenadier like the AMG G wagon - useless for what it was designed for but great for blinged-up rappers … doof doof doof !!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was thinking it would make sense for BMW to buy and open up a new market segment, compete with G Wagon etc. Also means they keep the engine ‘in house’.

I think this strategy doesn’t really align with the push to electric etc so this is the obvious headwind.
Yes that was my thoughts also however Toyota will need a replacement for the 70 series soon and in 2-3 years IA will have a SW, Troopy (LWB Utility SW) & dual cab chassis.
There's your 70 series right there.

tnkatoy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I kind of figure hanging on to the Grenadier for a while, so yes, hopefully by then Toyota will have updated the 70 series staying true to what it is, not another Defender debacle. Been wondering with the new 300 series cruiser downgrades, if Grenadier is going to take the 'King off the Road' crown from Toyota ? ... IA selling out may make sense why they seem to be more focused on the vehicle rather than building a brand, funny if JLR bought IA though, after all, Grenadier would bring JLR back into the market vacated by Defender

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I kind of figure hanging on to the Grenadier for a while, so yes, hopefully by then Toyota will have updated the 70 series staying true to what it is, not another Defender debacle. Been wondering with the new 300 series cruiser downgrades, if Grenadier is going to take the 'King off the Road' crown from Toyota ? ... IA selling out may make sense why they seem to be more focused on the vehicle rather than building a brand, funny if JLR bought IA though, after all, Grenadier would bring JLR back into the market vacated by Defender
JLR are broke and struggling to stay afloat, I wouldn't be surprised if someone like SAIC or Chery buy them.
They already have a joint venture manufacturing plant in China with Chery
Toyota would need to engineer an entirely new 70 series as the existing one won't meet global standards much past 2025.
Mercedes are going all electric so that rules them out

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
JLR are broke and struggling to stay afloat, I wouldn't be surprised if someone like SAIC or Chery buy them.
They already have a joint venture manufacturing plant in China with Chery
Toyota would need to engineer an entirely new 70 series as the existing one won't meet global standards much past 2025.
Mercedes are going all electric so that rules them out
Isn’t landrover owned by Tata now? I thought they were relatively solid.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Isn’t landrover owned by Tata now? I thought they were relatively solid.
Yes it is, and they are, but you don't stay solid by holding on to business that is making a quarterly loss of 524 Million pounds and sales down by 37%
Every owner in the last 50 years has made a loss on JLR I am pretty sure.
They also have a large warranty claim bill

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
BMW?
Volkswagen?
Toyota?
That’s hard to believe.
All of them are high volume manufacturers with 2,5 to 11 million units per year.
I presume that this contraindicates the status of a niche manufacturer and would therefor force IA (or how it then might be called) to fulfill all security standards. They might as well be forced to pay for their CO2 output at least in the EU.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That’s hard to believe.
All of them are high volume manufacturers with 2,5 to 11 million units per year.
I presume that this contraindicates the status of a niche manufacturer and would therefor force IA (or how it then might be called) to fulfill all security standards. They might as well be forced to pay for their CO2 output at least in the EU.
I could be totally wrong and sir Jim wants to continue to be a vehicle manufacturer even after he has fulfilled his needs.
Of course they could always spin it off and float it
There isn't a great history of niche vehicle manufacturers staying alone.
If it does sell out then I would much rather it went to Toyota, Volkswagen or BMW

1673420408766.png 1673420550578.png1673420590106.png1673420624181.png1673420663645.png1673420699028.png1673420747787.png1673420777983.png1673420822484.png1673420852655.png1673420893583.png1673420925843.png1673420953721.png1673420982353.png

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There isn't a great history of niche vehicle manufacturers staying alone.
Depends how niche you go:
Aston Martin
Ariel
BAC
Caterham
Ferrari
Ginetta
Glickenhaus
McLaren
Morgan
Tesla
TVR (?)
Ultima

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Depends how niche you go:
Aston Martin
Ariel
BAC
Caterham
Ferrari
Ginetta
Glickenhaus
McLaren
Morgan
Tesla
TVR (?)
Ultima
Yes there are a few but those are mostly very niche and really Aston and Maclaren are borderline and TVR have less money than I do.
And I am poor
I think Ineos Auto is more like Volvo or SAAB..............when they were good

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I think Ineos Auto is more like Volvo or SAAB..............when they were good
Volvo is very good , well our new EV seems to be very well sorted and safe. Not to mention bloody quick with great handling!

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It has become too busy and crowded on the Gold Coast and with only myself and my wife left in a 6 bedroom 570m2 house it is unnecessary.
Plus this should give us enough money to pay off both our mortgages, buy the Grenadier and a Suzuki Jimny for cash, build the shed for the Grenadier, renovate our other house and hopefully have a couple of hundred thousand left over.
Now that I am 60 and my wife is 63 we have to be debt free and living in a good place.
Totally agree with that concept. Good luck with the sale.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Volvo is very good , well our new EV seems to be very well sorted and safe. Not to mention bloody quick with great handling!
Trouble is it's Chinese and I try to avoid anything that comes from there, and yes I know it's virtually impossible.

Back
Top Bottom