The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

On the Fence About Buying

Local time
8:32 PM
Reaction score
Well thank you everyone for your feedback. I’m now part of the club.

I was really close to getting another Toyota 4Runner/Fortuner. I did love my 2004 Toyota 4Runner. My mate bought an FJ the same day as me (we went to the dealership together which is romantic'/camaraderie but we told them to give us both a good deal or we’d go to the other 2-3 Toyota dealerships in the area).

Local time
Reaction score
a743291d-cbf2-4af2-b7fa-c0d57ec04dc7.jpeg

Local time
Reaction score
I was at the Els golf course and saw this. Yes it is shameful to compare a new model Defender to Grenadier. I couldn’t help but have a laugh.

My wagon supposedly cleared the port and customs today. Who knows in this country.

I’m going to take it completely unchanged as I have some family in for a visit and they want to go north to Ras Al-Khaimah then south to Abu Dhabi. The missus and I can bring all 5 of us around in this vehicle or would have to take 2 BMW saloons otherwise. The dealership said it would take 10 days to add on the dealer installed modifications. Maybe I want to show off my new box on wheels.

I’ll use the vehicle for 10 days stock. I’ll share pictures. Then drop it off for a while to add in the options.

Local time
Reaction score
I asked for loads of options. I thought I’d just go mental and get everything I ever wanted, ever. I went the full hog.

The only thing I paused on was the roof rack/bars and lights. I am used to 2 cross roof bars on my last Jeep, Ford and Toyota. I’m torn between the full roof rack or just the 2 cross bars and now see a 3/4 size / 1.9 metre roof rack will be available soon with roof lights.

Last edited:
Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
Id love advice on roof options with those with experience.
I’ve traveled with roof racks for 30 years. I honestly find them unnecessary, but, if I was to get one for this, it would be the factory unit. Make it big, and make it strong, if you’re gonna do it is my opinion. Otherwise is just a pretender piece of shit to look cool. Right now I’m using 4 factory cross bars. One on each pillar, b,c,d, and the 4the set up in front with lights, but removed when not in use. It also makes it easy to make a clean roof for long highway travel as I don’t need a hoist or friends to remove the other three. Less commitment and more modularity, and the white roof I paid for is sexy and can be seen. There’s always that.

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:32 PM
Reaction score
I asked for loads of options. I thought I’d just go mental and get everything I ever wanted, ever. I went the full hog.

The only thing I paused on was the roof rack/bars and lights. I am used to 2 cross roof bars on my last Jeep, Ford and Toyota. I’m torn between the full roof rack or just the 2 cross bars and now see a 3/4 size / 1.9 metre roof rack will be available soon with roof lights.
Probably nothing wrong with the factory rack offerings. But I highly recommend a Leitner roofrack. Built like a tank. Designed and manufactured in the USA. Lowest clearance. It does not clamp to the roof gutters. It has T-slots along front, back, all load bars, on top and bottom surfaces. Loadbars can be added or removed completely. Available in 3/4 or full length. IMO these are all Very Good Things. Good luck!

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
Probably nothing wrong with the factory rack offerings. But I highly recommend a Leitner roofrack. Built like a tank. Designed and manufactured in the USA. Lowest clearance. It does not clamp to the roof gutters. It has T-slots along front, back, all load bars, on top and bottom surfaces. Loadbars can be added or removed completely. Available in 3/4 or full length. IMO these are all Very Good Things. Good luck!
100% agree. I have the Leitner HD bars - fantastic. But the 3/4 rack is awesome and you can do some things you can’t do with the HD bars (like mount a Clevershade Ultra-Lite awning)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What is the difference? The one I am looking at is a LWB
LHD - left hand drive - as opposed to our friends in the UK and Oz whose vehicles are RHD - right hand drive.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
I went with Ineos factory offering - full length rack (my vehicle does not have safari windows) installed by Sewell Ineos at Plano Tx and am very pleased with it so far. I see no issue with mounting on the roof gutters as long as weight limits are not pushed over max. The factory rack is made by Rhino-Rack and they probably know what they are doing. No to say that other rack options are inferior at all but I liked the idea of a factory product installed by the dealer for warranty issues if any should arise.

Local time
Reaction score
I went with Ineos factory offering - full length rack (my vehicle does not have safari windows) installed by Sewell Ineos at Plano Tx and am very pleased with it so far. I see no issue with mounting on the roof gutters as long as weight limits are not pushed over max. The factory rack is made by Rhino-Rack and they probably know what they are doing. No to say that other rack options are inferior at all but I liked the idea of a factory product installed by the dealer for warranty issues if any should arise.
The roof gutter mounting system on the OEM full rack is stronger than all the grab bar mounting systems, and it maximizes usable surface area.

Back
Top Bottom