The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

On the Fence About Buying

Local time
4:16 AM
Reaction score
There shouldnt be any software gripes on an MY24. (and I mean factory MY24, not what US dealers refer to MY24 which seems to straddle the MY23.5 and MY24 period). Maybe you should ask for the VIN to give you an idea of when it was built. The dealer may be tempting you with a MY23.5 which operates a different firmware to MY24. (another tell tale of real MY24s is the reverse camera fills the screen area and doesnt look like a pop up on top of the display).
Bingo! The car the dealer was trying to flog on me before I told him I had a 9 month buying window only filled less than half the screen.

ANNML

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
I joined this forum to get the user experience as a result of an encounter with a current owner with nothing but smiles coming out of the dealership for a service. I’m just a sceptical person. Tell me the good, bad and ugly experiences.
DO IT NOW. Just by starting this thread, you know you already bought one. I know you already bought one.

I too am methodical and over-researchy and want to know everything I should. And then I might sit there in indecision and freeze up for way longer than necessary.

I finally went for it when I arrived at “is there really that much to lose if I just go for it?” - and the answer for me was no, not really. If you buy it and don’t like it (which won’t happen), you sell it. You will lose some money, yes, but that money over a lifetime is probably not a game changer. And if you keep the Grenadier (which you will) you will have it for many years, if not forever — so the price divided by all those years of loving it and enjoying it is not terribly expensive in the long run.

Get it done! As a former nurse, it will be good for your health — so think of it as a long term prescription. My Grenadier has been nothing but a total joy!

Mad Hatter

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:16 AM
Reaction score
Buy one and drive it back overland, you’ll have a fantastic retirement adventure one the way and the you’ll probably keep that Grenny for the rest of your life because of the memories

ethree

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
I have experience with a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 and 2006 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 and a bit of off roading in the USA. Mostly farm applications where there is just a field, technically there’s no road. So I have a few years left in Dubai and really want to trade in a BMW 330 before major maintenance on its 9th birthday. I always kick myself in the arse for not buying the last year of the original Defender 110 in 2016. I always loved that vehicle. I was frugal at the time and opted for a car that was sensible for where I now live. I like to go off-roading a few times a year but that’s easily accomplished here with a rental vehicle or friend.

Incredible is the engine and transmission are very similar to my 330 so it works very well and familiar.

Nine years on I find myself at a crossroads. I desperately want to offload my BMW and get something useful for the next stage. The Adamas Motor company are offering 20% down, 2 years 0% interest and 3 years 2.7% interest financing on a 2023, maybe 2024 wagon. My shelf life for working here is about 5 years before retirement then I want to go back to Spain and take up light farming again in my second career.

My problem is I can just but a new vehicle in Spain in 5 years and sell the maintenance intensive BMW now and buy a cheap Toyota.or I can buy a Grenadier and export it for relatively low cost after the payments are done and I’m ready to leave the UAE.

My ask of the forum is to ‘sell me the 2024/2025 Grenadier”
This is a fair ask. Many of us in here have been with the INEOS Grenadier story since the beginning. And I mean beginning, when the idea of a standard was still being discussed. We had no idea what the engine might be. Dana axles? So, way back.

What I present may not “sell” you on the truck but here is what I was looking for.

1) Durable. Road worthy tractor if I am being totally honest. Check.
2) Lasting. After years of watching grainy Camel Trophy videos and owning several LRs, I learned one thing. I could buy an old Defender, put an old Cummins in it and that puppy would continue on. Shy of crash, they last and are iconic whether LR stay in business or goes under. The Grenadier has the same lasting qualities as the best old series, disco or defender—but way better built.
3) Safe. I actually pity the fool that crashes into this truck. I used to investigate very serious collisions for a living—height and heft are two factors that undoubtedly save lives. At least that was my experience.
4) Capable. Without a doubt. We have narrow log roads in the NE (USA). This vehicle is phenomenal.
5) Phase out. There seems to be an endless series of regs that are going to phase out combustion engines. The Grenadier may not be available for purchase in Spain in 2029. In the USA, we may not be far behind. I was hoping mine wouldn’t have the nanny cam put in but, alas, they had to. It’s not overbearing but I fear that situation is only going to get worse.

That is my two cents. I absolutely love mine. Heading up to Maine later this month. Can’t wait! Best to you.

Back
Top Bottom