The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Long road trip report

Michael_in_Baja

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:24 PM
Reaction score
I have found I get just over 22mpg UK (18.3 US) if i keep the speed to under 50mph. Once it gets above 50, the mpg drops away fast. I have roof rails and an awning which create drag. I'm in a county with very few fast roads. So it spends most of its time going 30-50mph. When I had my old Defender, I liked nothing more in the summer then winding the window down and drive around at a comfortable low speed and enjoy the experience. I do similar with the IG.

It is very easy to spoil your MPG with a couple of sprightly accelerations but the lowest I have had so far is 17.9 UK MPG (14.9 US).

I track my mileage and refills to compare against the car. They are broadly similar.
This was my experience between 50 and 60 miles an hour I get stellar gas mileage, presently 17.9 as well and between 45-50 (during break in) it waa 18.6 but I spend half my time in a country whose speed limit is between 50 and 56 mph.

My next modification is going to be the TDI tuner that claims it can boost mpg by 20% on the Grenadier in eco mode, That should be here sometime early next week and I will do a review of it after I get some time with it installed.

Last edited:

Dokatd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
I really enjoy how the all knowing engineers at every automotive company throw in some random design flaws in the form of recalls just to keep us on our toes! Not to mention shipping first gen vehicles with glaring faults to keep the riff raff from buying them all up in the first year or two.

Though I appreciate the point being made, I quickly lose a level of respect for people that suggest only the engineers at the factory know what’s right and they sell you the best version you could possibly buy.

And finally, I admitted to not reading the OP’s first post but I read enough to see his truck was modified. Comparing it to your stock IG is just wrong and short sighted.

Regardless, accepting the poor steering of the IG is roughly the same as saying smoking cigarettes or the like is an acquired taste. The IG objectively drives better on the highway with an aftermarket steering stabilizer. Just because you got used to it in stock form doesn’t make it acceptable by traditional vehicle handling standards.

Drive what you like and how you like. And maybe, just maybe your IG drives like a dream and many of us just got poorly built trucks. Or maybe some of us have less tolerance for perceived or legitimate poor handling. I know some very rich people that have absolutely horrible taste in food, and just as many that haven’t a clue what makes a good vehicle or how they should drive.

Sorry, I know that’s a bit of a rant, I just have a very strong reaction to the suggestion that engineers know best and the suggestion that a production vehicle doesn’t have a ton of compromises that just might be able to be corrected by the end user to fit their mission. Yes some people ruin their vehicle with mods, but many make dramatic improvements.

Sorry, that was another mini rant. Anyways, any IG owner in the DFW area is welcome to contact me and I will let them drive my modded IG to compare to theirs so they can make their own informed decision.

Rant mode off.

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My IG is not modded, save for sliders. I have a 2020 Ladn Cruiser that is fully modded. Neither vehicle fully modded or not was built for MPG. I fill it up and I drain and it gets me from place to place in a fashion I truly enjoy. Its a great vehicle, turns heads, comfortable in town and on the road. I appreacite all the comments here and they all make darn good sense to me. Over time I am sure I will add other bits and pieces to make it a little more off road worthy, I might go with the leveling kit, I will defintely go with full underbody skids (hopefully aluminum), and maybe some other silly creatur comforts inside, but overall I am wearing off the new and enjoying basically stock for now.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:24 AM
Reaction score
Just because you got used to it in stock form doesn’t make it acceptable by traditional vehicle handling standards.
What factory kingpin live axle vehicle are you comparing it to?

Last edited:

Dokatd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What factory kingpin live axle vehicle are you comparing it to?
Which would you like? I’ve driven a ton. Let’s go for what I currently own and drive.

Unimog U1300L
Unimog 416 Doka
Unimog 404.1
Unimog 411C
Mercedes Gwagon 2002 vintage
Volvo C303

Now just a few I have owned

Land Rover D90 both stock and modded
Land Range Rover multiple models
Land Rover Disco both series I and II both stock and modded
Toyota Fj60 stock and modded
Toyota Fj62 stock and modded
Ford Early Bronco stock and modded
Kaiser Military truck

Does that work? I know I’m missing several in there but it’s been awhile.

Otherwise the list of vehicles I have thousands of miles in going down the highway etc is too long to list for practical purposes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom