The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Long road trip report

ZemTyrion

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:21 PM
Reaction score
I just drove from Denver, Colorado to Richmond, Virginia. Then a week later, I turned around. For those who don't know, that's about 1600 miles each way. I thought some of this information might be helpful for someone.

Relevant Modifications
Fox non-adjustable steering stabilizer
Eibach 2.5in leveling springs
Falken Wildpeak A/T4W LT285/75R17/10
Leitner Designs 3/4 roof rack (just Maxtrax and a hi-lift jack up there)
Wolfbox G900 rear view camera
Suma Performance side mirrors

Seating Position
One concern I have had about this car is the only place to set an arm is in the window sill. It's great around town, but it doesn't allow for much control, and it's not good for your arm/shoulder for a long drive. We found that we could shove pillows on either side of the driver's seat, and it made all the difference in the world. It was comfortable, and I had much better control on the highway. My biggest takeaway from this drive is that these seats need armrests. Honestly, my back/neck was my biggest worry before setting out on this trip, and the pillows as armrests made it delightful.

Steering/Handling
If not for the steering damper, I'd have gotten rid of this car a long time ago. The damper did a great job. However, it doesn't do much for the play in the wheel, and any emergency handling is going to be a very bad day. I am considering King shocks to see if that might help it feel more stable at speed. I am also considering the King or adjustable Fox steering dampers. The steering play is just insane. But I'm also considering a Land Cruiser, so it could go either way.

Mirrors
These work brilliantly together. I felt a lot more confident with these than the "why would you need to see anything behind you?" design philosophy of the stock mirrors. It took just a couple hours to adjust to the Wolf camera.

Fuel Economy
This is really the reason I am posting this. I didn't trust the car to do the math. I kept track of miles and gallons. In Colorado and Kansas I got 91 octane, and east of there I got 93.

There are several factors related to fuel economy. Obviously the cross sectional area of the vehicle makes a big difference, and the lift and roof rack contribute to that. Then there is whether it has to rev higher than it would prefer because of running out of gears. Rolling resistance matters, and certainly there are other tires that would do better. I had mine to about 38/39psi. In Colorado and Kansas the altitude will help because of less air density. Given the mods I have, I did not expect much, but I was hoping for better. I typically drove 10mph over the speed limit. I am not interested in comments about that unless you have driven across Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, or the like yourself (honestly, I'm not interested either way). That makes it 85mph for most of eastern Colorado, Kansas, and western Missouri. Other states had speed limits of 65-70mph. Note that I also checked my speed with GPS, and I needed to add about 1.5% (so car reports 83, I'm going 85). The pressure drag is proportional to the square of the speed, so going fast can quickly get out of hand, but even in West Virginia where the roads are narrow, windy, and under construction (i.e. slow), I didn't see any good results (it is also a lot of up and down, though).

I started by comparing reported miles to mile markers over 50 miles. I determined I needed to add 6.2% to the car's miles for accuracy. So with all of that corrected...
  • Total average: 11.96 mpg
  • Worst tank: 9.32 mpg
  • Best tank: 14.37 mpg
Of course the worst and best tanks can be affected by a gas tank that clicked off at a different level, but the overall average is pretty solid. It looks like mostly 11-12 in the west and 13-14 in the east.

Before you jump in with "The Grenadier wasn't built for this! What did you expect?" or something of the sort, I am aware. I am reporting the information in case it matters to someone. It's a new car, and data is important. I'm not all that keen on global warming either.

Unfortunately, I can't give exact numbers here, but every time I checked the vehicle's calculation of the mpg, it was significantly higher. I might make it a point to compare the real with the car calculation more precisely later on.

That's all I have. Thanks for you time. Feel free to move this to a different forum if it should be somewhere else.

Last edited:

Dokatd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:21 PM
Reaction score
Admittedly I didn’t read your whole post…it was long.

But I have put maybe 4-5k miles on my truck in basically the configuration as yours. It’s miserable to drive cross country. And as you mentioned, emergency braking or maneuvering is extremely dangerous. This is due to a couple things, but the easiest of them all to fix is the shocks. Go for the Kings or the new Konis. This will largely fix your concerns without serious modification. The stock shocks are very lightly valved. My truck is a relative joy to drive now with Kings. Honestly it feels about like any other modern SUV now for the most part.

One difficult to solve issue is the short rear axle links. Due to their length and the lift you end up with a decent amount of rear steer because the shocks are so lightly valved. So either you lengthen the link arms a lot or use shock valving to control the axle a bit more. Shocks are cheap in comparison to hacking things up to install longer links.

ZemTyrion

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:21 PM
Reaction score
That's great to hear, thanks.

Oh, and cliff notes:
Seats need arm rests.
Fuel economy is way worse than we thought.

angstorms

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:21 PM
Reaction score
Did you get alignment on the truck, also check the front end for play when it up on rack. I find I do not have the kind of play in the steering wheel I see in video, it relatively tight in my truck. Drove to Moab from Durango, and Colorado Spring to Durango when I bought the truck for longer runs. Mostly run up 550 to the mountains and runs the local trails in San Juans.

Local time
2:21 PM
Reaction score
Going from 9.32mpg to 14.37mpg is actually a very large increase 54.2% to be precise. I recently did a thousand mile road trip and got just under 15MPG for the whole trip but was mostly driving 65-75MPH so I find the 15 MPG rating from INEOS to be pretty accurate. I calculate my milage every time I get gas. I find the computer generated MPG overestimates the milage about 2mpg. I also want to point out that changing tire sizes does effect the accuracy of speedometer reading or at least it has on the many trucks I have owned over the years.

Back
Top Bottom