The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Logsplitter’s travels in his Grenadier.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:07 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Following on from my last update things got a little more interesting. Internet communication has been intermittent so it’s difficult to post regularly. Now in Malawi with an unusually good connection so here goes.

After reaching the Khutse game reserve we arranged with the game reserve office that we would drive north through Khutse game reserve and up through the central Kalahari Game Reserve via deception valley and exiting through the north. We drove for many hours through deep soft powder sand to get to Bape camp. It was tough going and extremely hot no wildlife as bush fires had driven all the game north. Upon reaching Bape camp we realised there was no way we would have enough fuel to drive all the way north through the Kalahari. Even though we had a full tank plus a further 100L in those conditions in low range and centre diff locked we were drinking fuel in our petrol Grenadier. It’s an extremely capable vehicle but fully loaded inc 100l water I think we would need a further 100L to make such a journey. After a sleepless night because of the surrounding bush fires we made the decision to about turn and retrace or steps as we knew we had enough fuel to get back. We messaged the park authorities via our Garmin text messenger to inform them of our decision. A very early 0500 start whilst the sand was cool and firmer. We made good time in the cooler conditions to get back to Khutse entrance gate.

It’s no joke out there! A couple had been rescued a few weeks earlier having been broken down for five days and had run out of water before being rescued. When we reached the park gate we realised we were stuck in low range with centre diff locked. No amount of backwards and forwards or turning would allow us to move the transfer box lever. It was jammed solid.

The guys at the park entrance had satellite internet which they kindly allowed us to use. We made contact with the guys at Ineos Southern Africa who couldn’t have been more helpful. A few more messages and calls inc The Ineos Southern Africa guys dealing with Ineos U.K. and Europe assist and it was arranged for a flatbed truck to be sent from Gabarone to the nearest tar road to pick me up and take me to the Ineos dealer In Gabarone. We were still able to drive the vehicle on the dirt road so we continued for 2-1/2hrs through deep sand and very corrugated roads in low range , centre diff locked to the nearest tar road at a town called Letlhakeng. This is where the recovery driver arrived just after us. What a service when half way across the world on a different continent! Unbeknown to us we were taken to the wrong garage in Gabarone as the driver assumed we should be taken to BMW Gabarone because we had a BMW engine. All was sorted the next morning when I phoned the next morning for a progress report. 😂. Our Grenadier was then relocated to Ineos Gabarone NMI motors who are the Ineos agents. What a team. So helpful and running us around to sort accommodation and ATM , food etc.

Two days of stripping the vehicle apart revealed the Bowden cables that link the transfer box / diff lock lever shift to the transfer box had siezed. A few phone calls and lots of emails later and it was arranged to authorise an emergency parts shipment from Belgium (I think) to NMI in Gabarone. It was also discovered the front stabiliser drop link has lost one of the nuts so suspension compromised. Apparently there is a campaign to add extra nuts to these components to stop this happening.

We knew this would take a few days to get these components shipped and a couple of days to put the vehicle back together so decided to fly north to to the Okovango delta for a few days safari so we didn’t miss out on seeing some of Botswana. After this we hung around in Gabarone until fixed.
On a positive note the game viewing in the Okovango is second to none and I will post furtherIMG_3751.jpeg on this.

Long story short but it took just over two weeks from breaking down to being on the road again. All the time the guys from NMI Ineos in Gabarone were in touch and following up on shipping. The delays seem to be the shipping and then customs procedures in South Africa and then repackaging shipping to Gabarone Botswana and further customs clearance. The waiting around was frustrating but a big learning curve for NMI Ineos and Ineos HQ in dealing with international warranty and breakdown cover / parts supply.

By the time Liberty the Grenadier was fixed we were itching to go and a very long drive ahead as over two weeks delay and friends to catch up with in Malawi. I can report everything OK since buts lots of adventure and some of what we experienced was not for the faint hearted; lots more to report in further posts.

All in all Ineos have been very good in dealing with this and things do happen and go wrong from time to time. I think the issue was in manufacturing / assembly of components and quite possibly the bowden cables may have been clamped too tight during assemble as the photos may attest and then during the arduous conditions and heat of the Kalahari seized ? More photos to come
004eff4d-6f4e-4643-8101-5272b117e53d.jpegad44bebe-fa8a-483d-9f5e-0c289b684483.jpeg8eab4eff-5515-4eb8-b670-1b0857e7b968.jpegIMG_3789.jpegIMG_3805.jpegIMG_3811.jpeg

Attachments

• 4e2285e6-e5d4-47e4-af81-a7bb95a145bb.jpeg
    4e2285e6-e5d4-47e4-af81-a7bb95a145bb.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 112

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:07 PM
Reaction score
Wow - crazy update. I'm not sure if I should add (y):love:🤣😥:oops::mad:(n) as a reaction - they all apply.

Main thing is you guys are safe, the truck is fixed, and it all makes for an interesting for our motley bunch to live vicariously through!

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The team at NMI Ineos at Gabarone were amazing and we made some good friends during the whole process. You have to look at these things in a positive light as we are generally glass half full people 🍻2d99b5a0-eeea-45f9-9cc5-bd5060cda843.jpeg34267a7d-5a85-4a55-9c2b-0ecc1b1a9b85.jpeg684bf876-4961-44b1-81b1-ad83d775f5b5.jpeg

IGL

GG #2697
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:07 PM
Reaction score
Apparently there is a campaign to add extra nuts to these components to stop this happening.
Add additional nuts? Seems like a strange solution to me, shouldn't it be the correct torque to hold the nuts in place? I don't recall seeing extra nuts on the four wheels, for example. But I'm not a technician...

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Crazy! Did you get any post-mortem data to identify possible causes?

img_3809-jpeg.7833243

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
@Logsplitter Thanks for the update! Others have had some issues with the differential and I wonder if more than just your cables were perhaps crimped tight.

Looking forward to more photos when you have more time. What a trip! So glad to see you're both safe.

Safe travels!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score
Whoa , the trip has certainly all the features of a true adventure. You should write a book, seriously.
Glad you could get things mechanically sorted. It does seem likely the cable was tight/twisted at assembly.
I suppose it is possible to enact a bush fix , pull cable off and lever the TC back to high range?
Carrying a spare cable seems a bit excessive but could this be required for remote travel?
Anyway , good to see you have posted autopsy pics if the fault.
Overall, well done - and power to you both for pressing on and making the best of circumstances 👏💪👍

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Crazy! Did you get any post-mortem data to identify possible causes?

img_3809-jpeg.7833243
The only information I got was that it was a manufacturing issue. I feared the worst and thought that the transfer box had issues but apparently as soon as the Bowden cables were disconnected then the transfer box and diff lock levers could be moved easily. it does look like the cable clamps have been over tightened as the plastic insulation around the cables has been crushed.

Back
Top Bottom