The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Logsplitter’s travels in his Grenadier.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:20 PM
Reaction score
O
Something similar happened to an Australian owner in the desert, they crimped the line and drove back to civilisation to have it repaired. From what I've heard it's a known issue, he alerted another owner travelling in the outback at that time which was lucky as he found a similar issue as you had.
Oh wow I didn’t know that. That could ruin a trip especially in remote areas. Ineos need to jump on this one quick. I imagine it’s not as simple as fixing a pipe and topping up the radiator coolant.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can’t quite understand that if this is a known issue then why haven’t these things happened during prototypes testing and rectified before customer deliveries. I don’t think I’m doing anything out of the ordinary bearing in mind many of the African roads I’m traveling on are used by the locals in vastly overloaded Toyota Corolla’s, Honda Fit and the like !

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can’t quite understand that if this is a known issue then why haven’t these things happened during prototypes testing and rectified before customer deliveries. I don’t think I’m doing anything out of the ordinary bearing in mind many of the African roads I’m traveling on are used by the locals in vastly overloaded Toyota Corolla’s, Honda Fit and the like !
I agree - I know we all wanted our vehicles in a hurry. However, they all should have delayed delivery until all the bugs were ironed out.

I have been lucky with ours, but I know there are items that must be fixed by recall and yet nothing from Ineos or Chandlers to let me know. The worst offender is obviously the Software, I know yours is mostly OK, but it sure did fix a lot of stuff on ours.

We ought to list the known problems - may start a list on my blog.

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing these faults, @Logsplitter - I’ll be checking our vehicle against them.

Apart from re-securing the transfer case lines after our very first trip we’ve not seen a loose fastener.
Hope your travels are going well
The strange thing is that the brackets top and bottom that hold these small radiators in place were still fixed tight but the radiator was out of the brackets IMG_7350.jpeg just floating around dangling on the attached pipes. bottom two rubber washer/grommets missing and top two in place. Started to wear through one of the pipes

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
O

Oh wow I didn’t know that. That could ruin a trip especially in remote areas. Ineos need to jump on this one quick. I imagine it’s not as simple as fixing a pipe and topping up the radiator coolant.
I have a feeling they have been rectified now, these were early deliveries so no doubt the feedback went to IA.

Reactions: PBD

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a feeling they have been rectified now, these were early deliveries so no doubt the feedback went to IA.
OK thanks 👍🏼 so hopefully mine will be rectified as I can’t work out how that radiator was dangling loose when both supporting brackets are still screwed up solid. I’ve ordered more rubber grommets but there has to be an issue here in my vehicles case for the radiator to fall out of its mounting brackets. Hopeful I’ll hear from Ineos that there is a campaign for my VIN no for a fix. 👍🏼
My VIN no 1163

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
OK thanks 👍🏼 so hopefully mine will be rectified as I can’t work out how that radiator was dangling loose when both supporting brackets are still screwed up solid. I’ve ordered more rubber grommets but there has to be an issue here in my vehicles case for the radiator to fall out of its mounting brackets. Hopeful I’ll hear from Ineos that there is a campaign for my VIN no for a fix. 👍🏼
My VIN no 1163
As a result of your experience I've had a close look at mine and thankfully it's OK. I do notice that there is some flex in the bracket which conceivably could allow the bracket holding the radiator in could open up and allow the radiator pins to jump out (e.g under extreme corrugations) of their holes/bushes in the bracket. On mine (VIN about 2500) there is a support bracket attached to the bottom of the bottom bracket that holds the radiator in place. The support bar is attached to the chassis and certainly reduces the flex in the radiator bracket. I don't know, but I wonder if this support bar is a later addition to overcome the problem you had. I'd be interested to know if you have such a support barIMG_4328.JPG

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
T
As a result of your experience I've had a close look at mine and thankfully it's OK. I do notice that there is some flex in the bracket which conceivably could allow the bracket holding the radiator in could open up and allow the radiator pins to jump out (e.g under extreme corrugations) of their holes/bushes in the bracket. On mine (VIN about 2500) there is a support bracket attached to the bottom of the bottom bracket that holds the radiator in place. The support bar is attached to the chassis and certainly reduces the flex in the radiator bracket. I don't know, but I wonder if this support bar is a later addition to overcome the problem you had. I'd be interested to know if you have such a support barView attachment 7833837
Thank you @ddv. I do not have that support bar. So this must have been a known problem. Quite annoying when I’m told this hasn’t happened before. I’ll be contacting Ineos using this photo thanks.
I find this very frustrating. Why aren’t Ineos being honest with us and getting us back in for these upgrades/ fixes 🤬

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
T

Thank you @ddv. I do not have that support bar. So this must have been a known problem. Quite annoying when I’m told this hasn’t happened before. I’ll be contacting Ineos using this photo thanks.
I find this very frustrating. Why aren’t Ineos being honest with us and getting us back in for these upgrades/ fixes 🤬
As a further point of reference for the change my 1886 VIN has those bars installed.

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
T

Thanks. That is interesting. This does speak to the lack of proactive communication which in my opinion has been the weakest point in the experience so far. I am not surprised that problems arise but I do expect to be told about them so that we can take appropriate steps not to be caught out.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
T

I think they are only just keeping up TBH (IA) but this is no excuse for this sort of thing. I'd definitely be having a chat with my dealer if i were you especially seeing as the later vehicles have the support bars and getting a solution sorted ASAP. It would be interesting to find out if there is a campaign or recall in progress.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think they are only just keeping up TBH (IA) but this is no excuse for this sort of thing. I'd definitely be having a chat with my dealer if i were you especially seeing as the later vehicles have the support bars and getting a solution sorted ASAP. It would be interesting to find out if there is a campaign or recall in progress.
I’ve sent an email to my dealer. Who have been very good to be honest and asked that it be forwarded on to Ineos HQ. They could at least let us know there may be an issue so to keep a check on it. The same with those drop links on the stabiliser bars. I could have added extra nuts as a temp measure to save the things falling apart as mine did.
I could write an interesting book about my travels in Africa including my woes with the Ineos Grenadier

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My VIN no 1163
Mine is a Diesel, VIN 1170 and not fitted with the bracket. The radiator does feel firm, but I'm obviously not driving in extreme conditions as @Logsplitter

Local time
11:20 PM
Reaction score
Mine is a Diesel, VIN 1170 and not fitted with the bracket. The radiator does feel firm, but I'm obviously not driving in extreme conditions as @Logsplitter
Not wanting to speak on behalf of Logsplitter but I'm not even sure he's done such extreme conditions on his trip!
As a rule, specifically with reference to corrugations/potholes etc, vehicles in this part of the world are subjected to conditions like that on a daily basis.
Definitely in the rural areas at least. And the rural area is where you want to go! 😁

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not wanting to speak on behalf of Logsplitter but I'm not even sure he's done such extreme conditions on his trip!
As a rule, specifically with reference to corrugations/potholes etc, vehicles in this part of the world are subjected to conditions like that on a daily basis.
Definitely in the rural areas at least. And the rural area is where you want to go! 😁
Agreed David. Most of the places I’ve been the locals are taking trashed out and overloaded saloon care so nothing too extreme and the Grenadier is built for this supposedly. The Kalahari being an exception but that was very deep sand and no corrugations. In Malawi we’ve had some rough roads but most of them are plyed by high ground clearance 2 wheel drive trucks.
Rainy season hasn’t started yet. That’s when you need 4x4.
All should be fine for a built on purpose vehicle
IMG_7409.jpeg

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:20 PM
Reaction score
As a result of your experience I've had a close look at mine and thankfully it's OK. I do notice that there is some flex in the bracket which conceivably could allow the bracket holding the radiator in could open up and allow the radiator pins to jump out (e.g under extreme corrugations) of their holes/bushes in the bracket. On mine (VIN about 2500) there is a support bracket attached to the bottom of the bottom bracket that holds the radiator in place. The support bar is attached to the chassis and certainly reduces the flex in the radiator bracket. I don't know, but I wonder if this support bar is a later addition to overcome the problem you had. I'd be interested to know if you have such a support barView attachment 7833837
I see this post now, it is dark, it is raining, but I have VIN 1312, therefore I expect NOT to have the bracket :( . If it stays somehow dry, tomorrow I'll check.

And I have bad luck @Logsplitter , mine isn't "BUILT ON PURPOSE" 😭;)

Back
Top Bottom