The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Logsplitter’s travels in his Grenadier.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:14 AM
Reaction score
How is the roof rack holding up @Logsplitter ? I also pointed a guy your way as he is intending to venture into Africa (albeit for the first time overland) in his Grenadier he'll be asking lots of questions.
The Rhino rack roof rack is the best. Super strong and durable. I’ve had other makes on my Defender but this is certainly the best. At some points when going remote with all the extra fuel I’ve had upto 200kg on the roof. This including another spare wheel and tyre 40kg, awning 28kg approx. 5x Jerry cans 100kg. Hilift jack, drum for clothes washing, maxtrax and firewood/charcoal. Although a heavy rack I couldn’t recommend it more highly. I’m super impressed and you get the warranty with the vehicle but not me of course if Ineos are reading this with the weight I put on it 😂IMG_4065.jpeg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
The Rhino rack roof rack is the best. Super strong and durable. I’ve had other makes on my Defender but this is certainly the best. At some points when going remote with all the extra fuel I’ve had upto 200kg on the roof. This including another spare wheel and tyre 40kg, awning 28kg approx. 5x Jerry cans 100kg. Hilift jack, drum for clothes washing, maxtrax and firewood/charcoal. Although a heavy rack I couldn’t recommend it more highly. I’m super impressed and you get the warranty with the vehicle but not me of course if Ineos are reading this with the weight I put on it 😂View attachment 7835784
Great to hear, there was another supplier who bagged it as not being up to the task.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Crossing from Zambia into Botswana via the Kasangula bridge. There are now one stop border posts in new buildings for the border posts between Zambia and Botswana and Zambia and Malawi. Going through Botswana into Zambia took us 1-1/2hrs with a paid fixer as the Zambian side so inefficient, note we met some South Africans who didn’t pay a fixer and it took them four hours! Coming back from Zambia into Botswana the border post building is on the Botswana side and we breezed through in half an hour. The quickest border crossing I’ve ever done with a vehicle in Africa. Botswana side is so efficient 😎
So after a couple of nights in Kasane camping we drove for day drives into Chobe NP and also arranged with National Park authorities and camp site administrators for travelling from Kasane to Maun for six days travelling through Chobe, Savuti and Moremi, camping in designated pre booked campsites en route .
The rains were just starting and huge thunderstorms in late afternoons and evenings, but localised so some areas the sand was firm offering easy going and other areas deep soft sand that you have to work the engine a bit. Other areas of dark coloured soft cotton sand turn into quagmire’s when wet so a good test of the Grenadiers off road abilities.
It was so hot 39/40c most days and the Grenadier took all this in its stride. I’ve found that I can’t air down too much in those temperatures as the tires overheat! Also in the southern stretches of Moremi they are using huge bulldozers to widen some of the dirt road. Just bulldozing through the Mopani scrub and so leaving sticks sticking up everywhere so a real hazard and puncture risk. We met other travellers who had slashed tires and others who got stuck in the slippery thick Savuti mud. We survived the journey unscathed and set the tires at a pressure of 28psi front and 34psi back and the Grenadier just cruised through. Even without the soft sand and muddy stretches it’s much kinder to us and the vehicle to air down a bit to smooth out the corrugations.
During some some very deep sandy sections you need to work the engine a bit harder bringing the revs up sometimes between 2500 and 3000rpm never above that. But in the slippery bog holes of black cotton sand I found keeping the revs low and just chugging through a better method as they are so slippery and didn't need the wheels spinning madly.
One section whilst camped up we decided to do a route called quarry hill. Quite a challenge and most turn around at the bottom and don’t attempt it. Any vehicle with big overhangs at the front or back as some pickup trucks have would do some damage or get hung up. Once your on it there’s no turning around for about 2km until you reach the top. This was the first time I had to use all lockers as some extremely steep sections I could not move at some stages with only centre lock as was getting hung up on the side steps. They did a good job and haven't bent although scraped along the bottom a bit. The difficulty in some sections was the tight turns as you reached the top of some steep inclines. I engaged and disengaged front locker frequently and all worked as it should. Coming back down I used centre diff lock and hill hold control. I’m very confident in this vehicle now and it can virtually go everywhere I want to go when travelling. Its quite surprising that even on that rocky terrain with all the weight we are carrying that I didn’t hit the rear bash plate but chose the route considerately and had the co driver out and directing at times 😎 My rear bash plate seems to be doing its job more on the faster sections when bouncing up and down a bit with the undulations. I still think I could do with a suspension lift of some kind when travelling heavy as we do do. Because of the many days camped up off grid and touring the many tracks looking for wildlife we needed to carry the extra 100l of fuel and 100l of drinking water of which we used most of it in those six days.
I will fill you in on the wildlife inc the baboons in the next update I’ll do later 👍🏼DSCN5148.jpegIMG_8930.jpegIMG_8952.jpegIMG_8965.jpegIMG_8920.jpegIMG_8915.jpegIMG_8917.jpegIMG_9288.jpegIMG_9379.jpegIMG_9439.jpegIMG_9592.jpegIMG_4244.jpegIMG_8922.jpeg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
Crossing from Zambia into Botswana via the Kasangula bridge. There are now one stop border posts in new buildings for the border posts between Zambia and Botswana and Zambia and Malawi. Going through Botswana into Zambia took us 1-1/2hrs with a paid fixer as the Zambian side so inefficient, note we met some South Africans who didn’t pay a fixer and it took them four hours! Coming back from Zambia into Botswana the border post building is on the Botswana side and we breezed through in half an hour. The quickest border crossing I’ve ever done with a vehicle in Africa. Botswana side is so efficient 😎
So after a couple of nights in Kasane camping we drove for day drives into Chobe NP and also arranged with National Park authorities and camp site administrators for travelling from Kasane to Maun for six days travelling through Chobe, Savuti and Moremi, camping in designated pre booked campsites en route .
The rains were just starting and huge thunderstorms in late afternoons and evenings, but localised so some areas the sand was firm offering easy going and other areas deep soft sand that you have to work the engine a bit. Other areas of dark coloured soft cotton sand turn into quagmire’s when wet so a good test of the Grenadiers off road abilities.
It was so hot 39/40c most days and the Grenadier took all this in its stride. I’ve found that I can’t air down too much in those temperatures as the tires overheat! Also in the southern stretches of Moremi they are using huge bulldozers to widen some of the dirt road. Just bulldozing through the Mopani scrub and so leaving sticks sticking up everywhere so a real hazard and puncture risk. We met other travellers who had slashed tires and others who got stuck in the slippery thick Savuti mud. We survived the journey unscathed and set the tires at a pressure of 28psi front and 34psi back and the Grenadier just cruised through. Even without the soft sand and muddy stretches it’s much kinder to us and the vehicle to air down a bit to smooth out the corrugations.
During some some very deep sandy sections you need to work the engine a bit harder bringing the revs up sometimes between 2500 and 3000rpm never above that. But in the slippery bog holes of black cotton sand I found keeping the revs low and just chugging through a better method as they are so slippery and didn't need the wheels spinning madly.
One section whilst camped up we decided to do a route called quarry hill. Quite a challenge and most turn around at the bottom and don’t attempt it. Any vehicle with big overhangs at the front or back as some pickup trucks have would do some damage or get hung up. Once your on it there’s no turning around for about 2km until you reach the top. This was the first time I had to use all lockers as some extremely steep sections I could not move at some stages with only centre lock as was getting hung up on the side steps. They did a good job and haven't bent although scraped along the bottom a bit. The difficulty in some sections was the tight turns as you reached the top of some steep inclines. I engaged and disengaged front locker frequently and all worked as it should. Coming back down I used centre diff lock and hill hold control. I’m very confident in this vehicle now and it can virtually go everywhere I want to go when travelling. Its quite surprising that even on that rocky terrain with all the weight we are carrying that I didn’t hit the rear bash plate but chose the route considerately and had the co driver out and directing at times 😎 My rear bash plate seems to be doing its job more on the faster sections when bouncing up and down a bit with the undulations. I still think I could do with a suspension lift of some kind when travelling heavy as we do do. Because of the many days camped up off grid and touring the many tracks looking for wildlife we needed to carry the extra 100l of fuel and 100l of drinking water of which we used most of it in those six days.
I will fill you in on the wildlife inc the baboons in the next update I’ll do later 👍🏼View attachment 7836025View attachment 7836026View attachment 7836027View attachment 7836028View attachment 7836029View attachment 7836030View attachment 7836031View attachment 7836032View attachment 7836033View attachment 7836034View attachment 7836035View attachment 7836036View attachment 7836037
Great reading! I'm enjoying hearing about your travels and the capability of the Grenadier 👏

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I will fill you in on the wildlife inc the baboons in the next update I’ll do later 👍🏼View attachment 7836025View attachment 7836026View attachment 7836027View attachment 7836028View attachment 7836029View attachment 7836030View attachment 7836031View attachment 7836032View attachment 7836033View attachment 7836034View attachment 7836035View attachment 7836036View attachment 7836037
simply epic daaaaaarling. As my girls would say after watching bloody strictly come dancing.

great further instalment Logsplitter. You really are adventuring how Sur Jym wanted the car to.

Bet you miss it over Christmas!

Blue skies and fair winds for the next voyage.

Wonder if I'd need the lockers for this hill;

Attachments

• IMG_0179.jpeg
    IMG_0179.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:14 AM
Reaction score
Fantastic write up.... you have a flair for it. Could write a book I suspect. Thank you again. 😃

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some wildlife photos from Northern Botswana. Most of the wildlife are not bothered by the vehicle at all. The engine is so quiet that in the thick bush you have to be careful especially with the elephants and buffaloes as they just appear out of nowhere and don’t always detect you are there. With the elephants in most instances , once I determined that they were calm I would turn the engine off and keep quiet. A couple of the Bull elephants seemed a bit edgy so I kept the engine running. The Buffalo herd contained a lot of grumpy old bulls who I didn’t trust so kept the engine running.
I’ve no decent pictures of the baboons unfortunately but I hope I can paint the picture with a story 🤔
In Moremi NP we had set up camp and been out on an afternoon game drive safe in the knowledge that the tent was securely zipped up. Late afternoon we returned back to camp to find a gang of baboons in our tent and sat on the camp beds staring at us. I drove fast towards the tent beeping the horn. Baboon’s scattered everywhere. The had undone the zips rifled through all our kit, undone our clothes bags and strewn clothes everywhere. We never leave food in the tents but this lot decided to check just in case. Even worse they had shit all over the floor 🤮 luckily not on the beds but the smell was horrendous! Trying to clear up was difficult too as they hung around trying to steal stuff as we emptied the tent to clean out. The bastards 🤬😂
The next day the game scouts came by and we discussed the baboon issue. It turns out the baboons had also raided a local village and a particular large male had become aggressive and started attacking people. Later that afternoon the game rangers were chasing the baboons out of the area and unfortunately were going to kill two of the dominant males as they were too troublesome.
The picture of the pair of lions with grumpy looking male tells a story also. They were a mating pair and the male seemed particularly pissed off that we were watching the proceedings 🤔DSCN5100.jpegIMG_0943.pngIMG_8957.jpegDSCN5210.jpegDSCN5669.jpegIMG_9615.jpegIMG_9605.jpegDSCN5558.jpegIMG_9401.jpegIMG_9375.jpegIMG_9308.jpegIMG_9264.jpegDSCN5333.jpeg

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:14 PM
Reaction score
Some wildlife photos from Northern Botswana. Most of the wildlife are not bothered by the vehicle at all. The engine is so quiet that in the thick bush you have to be careful especially with the elephants and buffaloes as they just appear out of nowhere and don’t always detect you are there. With the elephants in most instances , once I determined that they were calm I would turn the engine off and keep quiet. A couple of the Bull elephants seemed a bit edgy so I kept the engine running. The Buffalo herd contained a lot of grumpy old bulls who I didn’t trust so kept the engine running.
I’ve no decent pictures of the baboons unfortunately but I hope I can paint the picture with a story 🤔
In Moremi NP we had set up camp and been out on an afternoon game drive safe in the knowledge that the tent was securely zipped up. Late afternoon we returned back to camp to find a gang of baboons in our tent and sat on the camp beds staring at us. I drove fast towards the tent beeping the horn. Baboon’s scattered everywhere. The had undone the zips rifled through all our kit, undone our clothes bags and strewn clothes everywhere. We never leave food in the tents but this lot decided to check just in case. Even worse they had shit all over the floor 🤮 luckily not on the beds but the smell was horrendous! Trying to clear up was difficult too as they hung around trying to steal stuff as we emptied the tent to clean out. The bastards 🤬😂
The next day the game scouts came by and we discussed the baboon issue. It turns out the baboons had also raided a local village and a particular large male had become aggressive and started attacking people. Later that afternoon the game rangers were chasing the baboons out of the area and unfortunately were going to kill two of the dominant males as they were too troublesome.
The picture of the pair of lions with grumpy looking male tells a story also. They were a mating pair and the male seemed particularly pissed off that we were watching the proceedings 🤔View attachment 7836356View attachment 7836355View attachment 7836357View attachment 7836358View attachment 7836359View attachment 7836360View attachment 7836361View attachment 7836362View attachment 7836363View attachment 7836364View attachment 7836365View attachment 7836367View attachment 7836368
You need to get that buffalo head properly mounted at the front of the bonnet it looks magnificent!

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:14 PM
Reaction score
The picture of the pair of lions with grumpy looking male tells a story also. They were a mating pair and the male seemed particularly pissed off that we were watching the proceedings 🤔View attachment 7836356View attachment 7836355View attachment 7836357View attachment 7836358View attachment 7836359View attachment 7836360View attachment 7836361View attachment 7836362View attachment 7836363View attachment 7836364View attachment 7836365View attachment 7836367View attachment 7836368
Great pics and stories! I assume with all of your border crossings you can’t carry a rifle for protection?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great pics and stories! I assume with all of your border crossings you can’t carry a rifle for protection?
No guns for us but came close to using the pepper spray in South Africa. But that was for the thieving locals that were trying to break into the vehicle as we were in it. So far the catapult has worked for the baboons and monkeys.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
wow thanks for taking us along on your trip, really putting the Grenadier through its paces, maybe head to france and let the engineers take a look at your rig, since you really have used it like it should be used.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi forum members. Time to fill you all in with my latest exploits around Southern Africa in Liberty the Grenadier.
During the Christmas and New Year break we left our Grenadier in Maun , Botswana with Ineos Kavango where the team serviced and checked over the vehicle ready for the next stage of the journey. So at around 14k KM I’ve had the engine oil and filter changed, air filter changed, diff oil changed and general check over of the vehicle. A great team who did a great job. 😎IMG_9752.jpeg
On our arrival back in Maun I did a few jobs I’ve wanted to do for a while so bought the appropriate bits back with me. I’ve fitted extra usb/12v sockets in the cabin plus a nextbase dashcam in the front windscreen just behind the rear view mirror. It’s great quality imagery is fantastic for travelogues.

The first part of the journey involved going up the western side of the Okovango Delta staying in a couple of camps en route to the Tsodilo Hills where we camped up and did some hiking around the hills visiting the ancient cave paintings. What a lovely peaceful place but a very corrugated flooded road to get in as the seasonal rainy season had started.

Grenadier as ever going well and a pleasure to drive. But at the first camp after Maun before any real bad roads, I checked over the vehicle as usual especially after the corrugated road to the camp, to find the left hand side auxiliary radiator had come out of its fixings again , luckily I had picked up more rubber grommet/mounts for an extortionate amount from the Ineos dealer in the U.K. (£18.65ea + vat for a piece of rubber). 😳 Having had this issue before I knew how to get to and fix the problem by removing front light surround and front plastic part of wing/fender and the inner wheel arch to gain access to the fixings. I glued the grommets to the rad with gorilla glue so I didn’t lose them if it happened again. A suitable fix I thought. 🤔
More to follow as I get internet IMG_4606.jpegIMG_4612.jpegIMG_9796.jpegIMG_9768.jpegIMG_9762.jpegIMG_4609.jpeg

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:14 PM
Reaction score
Hi forum members. Time to fill you all in with my latest exploits around Southern Africa in Liberty the Grenadier.
During the Christmas and New Year break we left our Grenadier in Maun , Botswana with Ineos Kavango where the team serviced and checked over the vehicle ready for the next stage of the journey. So at around 14k KM I’ve had the engine oil and filter changed, air filter changed, diff oil changed and general check over of the vehicle. A great team who did a great job. 😎View attachment 7841455
On our arrival back in Maun I did a few jobs I’ve wanted to do for a while so bought the appropriate bits back with me. I’ve fitted extra usb/12v sockets in the cabin plus a nextbase dashcam in the front windscreen just behind the rear view mirror. It’s great quality imagery is fantastic for travelogues.

The first part of the journey involved going up the western side of the Okovango Delta staying in a couple of camps en route to the Tsodilo Hills where we camped up and did some hiking around the hills visiting the ancient cave paintings. What a lovely peaceful place but a very corrugated flooded road to get in as the seasonal rainy season had started.

Grenadier as ever going well and a pleasure to drive. But at the first camp after Maun before any real bad roads, I checked over the vehicle as usual especially after the corrugated road to the camp, to find the left hand side auxiliary radiator had come out of its fixings again , luckily I had picked up more rubber grommet/mounts for an extortionate amount from the Ineos dealer in the U.K. (£18.65ea + vat for a piece of rubber). 😳 Having had this issue before I knew how to get to and fix the problem by removing front light surround and front plastic part of wing/fender and the inner wheel arch to gain access to the fixings. I glued the grommets to the rad with gorilla glue so I didn’t lose them if it happened again. A suitable fix I thought. 🤔
More to follow as I get internet View attachment 7841453View attachment 7841451View attachment 7841450View attachment 7841449View attachment 7841448View attachment 7841460
Looking forward to your continuing travel posts!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
During the Christmas and New Year break we left our Grenadier in Maun , Botswana with Ineos Kavango where the team serviced and checked over the vehicle ready for the next stage of the journey. So at around 14k KM I’ve had the engine oil and filter changed, air filter changed, diff oil changed and general check over of the vehicle. A great team who did a great job. 😎View attachment 7841455

More to follow as I get internet View attachment 7841453View attachment 7841451View attachment 7841450View attachment 7841449View attachment 7841448View attachment 7841460
Hi @Logsplitter , this is the best travelogue here. I'm always eagerly awaiting your new experiences!

Back
Top Bottom