The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Light Bar

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
Anyone want to hazard a guess at what the width of the middle section on top of the front bumper would be, above the number plate? That is my preferred spot for a light bar.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone want to hazard a guess at what the width of the middle section on top of the front bumper would be, above the number plate? That is my preferred spot for a light bar.
I’ll try to remember to measure it tomorrow at the Sydney 4WD and Adventure Show. 🙂

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:34 PM
Reaction score
Yes, looks good.

But
- more dirt, snow and slush which covers the light bar. (And snow will not melt due to 'cold' technology).
- upper position will yield more reach.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, looks good.

But
- more dirt, snow and slush which covers the light bar. (And snow will not melt due to 'cold' technology).
- upper position will yield more reach.
Yes the top is were I was planning on putting it but someone suggested the lower location. I won't have to worry about snow here but dirt dust and mud definitely

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes but NOTHING worse than having the light bar shine on the bonnet of the car - its extremely distracting and is painful on the retina over a period of time.

Not much snow in OZ to really worry about.
Bonnet reflections will to a degree depend on the color. Silver is for sure worse than Donny Grey.

Besides this, I'd check the focusing of a light bar. If it's for long distance use, there shouldn't be too much flare. And for short distances I'd mount additional wide-angle lights. They would anyway likely be more for camping purposes, i.e. when you don't drive.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Bonnet reflections will to a degree depend on the color. Silver is for sure worse than Donny Grey.

Besides this, I'd check the focusing of a light bar. If it's for long distance use, there shouldn't be too much flare. And for short distances I'd mount additional wide-angle lights. They would anyway likely be more for camping purposes, i.e. when you don't drive.
Lazer Lamps have lightbars designed not to shine down onto the bonnet but I don't want a roof rack or bar on the front of the roof because of the wind noise and appearance. There is also confusion in Australia with different states having different rules regarding light placement.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I think before buying such a light bar, I'll mount a wooden dummy to check for the wind noise.

In some videos I've seen the light bars on the roofs of (US-) police-cars being wedge-shaped. The light bar producers should think about something similar, i.e. aerodynamic and thus acoustic improvments of their products.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think before buying such a light bar, I'll mount a wooden dummy to check for the wind noise.

In some videos I've seen the light bars on the roofs of (US-) police-cars being wedge-shaped. The light bar producers should think about something similar, i.e. aerodynamic and thus acoustic improvments of their products.
You mean Donald Trump?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The only Donald I'd really refer to is Donald Duck.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
This might help. The width of the thin central ventilation slot (underlined in red in this picture) is 640mm.

Attachments

• 1C317349-3F40-4439-A42A-DA314EEAAF08.jpeg
    1C317349-3F40-4439-A42A-DA314EEAAF08.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This might help. The width of the thin central ventilation slot (underlined in red in this picture) is 640mm.
The width of the lightbar I am looking at is 682mm so looks like it will be hanging under the top rail of the roo bar.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The width of the lightbar I am looking at is 682mm so looks like it will be hanging under the top rail of the roo bar.
I think the roo bar gap is wider than that vent, I plan to check that out at the show this this morning but my my calculations I can sneak a 24.5” stedi pro single row lightbar under the bottom rail.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> the top rail of the roo bar.

I'd prefer the upmost possible position - for the price of noise, however.

But the roo bar idea sounds like a good compromise to me. And it will look good, I guess.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the roo bar gap is wider than that vent, I plan to check that out at the show this this morning but my my calculations I can sneak a 24.5” stedi pro single row lightbar under the bottom rail.
The distance between the upright bars is about 80cm

Local time
9:34 PM
Reaction score
Another consideration when mounting lights on the front bumper is blocking air flow to the radiator. For most vehicles, this is not a problem, but for ones that run hot (i.e. have inadequate cooling) it is. For example, the Jeep 3.0 diesel runs really hot, and there is not adequate cooling; mounting lights in front of the grill just makes it worse. On the other hand, Toyota 4x4s seem to manage heat really well. We don't know yet how well the Grenadier manages heat, though I'm sure we all imagine it does well. They need to get some vehicles out for test drives and rigorous reviews by people who will put them through their paces both on and off road.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Another consideration when mounting lights on the front bumper is blocking air flow to the radiator. For most vehicles, this is not a problem, but for ones that run hot (i.e. have inadequate cooling) it is. For example, the Jeep 3.0 diesel runs really hot, and there is not adequate cooling; mounting lights in front of the grill just makes it worse. On the other hand, Toyota 4x4s seem to manage heat really well. We don't know yet how well the Grenadier manages heat, though I'm sure we all imagine it does well. They need to get some vehicles out for test drives and rigorous reviews by people who will put them through their paces both on and off road.
I haven't had any problems in the past but I know of people who have chipped to increase power and added huge bull bars/bumpers and bash plates on their vehicles who have had problems when they added 4 spots and 2 light bars. The BMW engine has been detuned so much in this vehicle that I am not anticipating any problems. It has also been crammed into a lot of smaller vehicles with less frontal area. I am only talking about the diesel. No idea about the petrol version.

Back
Top Bottom