The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Largest Functional Tire Without Mods

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
The Toyo AT III is available in a sweet spot size of 34x10.5R17. Still quite skinny with a specified diameter of 33.5 inches and a modest 55 pounds.

From 31.7" stock KO2 to 33.5" ATIII sounds appealing. And only a pound heavier per tire. It would gain nearly an inch of ground clearance for the the whole vehicle.

But has anyone run 33.5" without rubbing?

Psignore00

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score
So... I gather from this thread I will have no problem fitting a BFG KO3 275 x 70 R17 on my grenadier without a lift or any other modifications?
Right. We don’t see a lot of people talking 275, mostly 255 or 285, but that size will work. Post a pic when you do it

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So... I gather from this thread I will have no problem fitting a BFG KO3 275 x 70 R17 on my grenadier without a lift or any other modifications?
Tons of room

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Why not 275?
275 is a much more rare size in general (I can't think of any OEM fitment that uses it), thus in a pinch it is harder to find a tire in that size.

Going back to other vehicles (many of which run 16s), there's no 275/75/16 (equivalent to a 275/70/17 in diameter). This exists for 255 (255/85/16) and 285 (285/75/16) options from years gone by.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Ferrugenfish userid=9004165 postid=1332800035]Okay so it's good to know that "minor trimming" is required to fit 35's... ground clearance is not impressive and needs a little help. It sounds like one would need to upgrade the springs/dampers and probably control arms and give it a decent lift in order to fit 35's to fit without cutting in order to get both increased travel and ground clearance.... which is a shame. IMO, Ineos should have expected people to want to fit 35's... but hey, 33's don't suck, and as noted above, 35's might not even fit on the rear door anyway. Looking forward to someone trying all of this and finding the best solution to maximizing ground clearance without screwing up articulation/geometry.

In all honesty, INEOS hasn't built this as a bronco/wrangler competitor. 35s are not needed for any workplace, overland trip, or other utility usage. The only place where big tires are NEEDED, are arctic expeditions etc. I had a wrangler on 35s, it looked great, but realistically never needed anymore than 33s to go anywhere.

35s with a small lift etc is still better than most other 4x4s. but ill be sticking with 33s on mine!
[/QUOTE]
The stock Gren tyres will out perform 99% of all drivers.

Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
In all honesty, INEOS hasn't built this as a bronco/wrangler competitor. 35s are not needed for any workplace, overland trip, or other utility usage. The only place where big tires are NEEDED, are arctic expeditions etc. I had a wrangler on 35s, it looked great, but realistically never needed anymore than 33s to go anywhere.

35s with a small lift etc is still better than most other 4x4s. but ill be sticking with 33s on mine!
[/QUOTE]

I very much needed every bit of my 255/85/17 tires today in the eastern sierra mountains and I’ll need them tomorrow and Sunday and Monday. Lots of rocks that required the extra clearance. Remember that you lose some clearance when you air down to 18 psi for grip and comfort. You don’t want to be doing some of this on the small factory KO2’s. I’ll post some pictures of the trip next week when I get back.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do they make that size in KO3s? I don't think I foudn them, or it might have been 255s I was looking for.

Local time
Reaction score

[/QUOTE]
Technically speaking, I could go with this everywhere I take my fj60 on 35's, but the endless scraping, dragging, winching, and body damage would get old. In a world where 37+'s are digging the tracks, 35's can be quite the helpful tool.

Back
Top Bottom