The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Land Rover is no more

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:14 PM
Reaction score
True enough and good article by Robert, but I'd gamble that Sir Jim knew this... but perhaps the senior execs who were employed to run the show and who are no doubt very talented, didn't really have a good grasp of it. Something akin to not only being able to talk the talk but also have experience in walking the........ perhaps they could reach out to people like RobertP for some ideas. 😄
Robert is a great guy and one of the most straightforward and useful motoring journalists I have come across

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have always known what a Land Rover was, I never understood why people called it a Defender.
I always loved the concept, better than the "Land Cruiser", I repeat: the concept!
But I disliked the failure reputation of Land Rover.
Therefore I always dreamt of having a Land Cruiser, "failure free". Japanese!

10 years ago I hesitated to buy the Land Cruiser, I could, but I still had financial concerns.
I bought my third 4X4 Suzuki. 0 (zero) problems at delivery! Zero problems the next years!

Now, financially, no concerns anymore, therefore I take the risk to buy a "dream" 4X4, with some early build problems.

And yes, I am an annoying guy, I like to ask questions, and to dismount, remount, discover, modify, mainly the electrical part.View attachment 7812154
Pardon my ignorance but what are we looking at here Jean?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
What is that you have taken a picture of there?
Hmm ... do I want to loose my warranty by telling you?
OK then :ROFLMAO: the rear plastic piece of the infotainment screen (the center console)
If there is a problem with the plastic piece (and there isn't) I agree that Ineos won't replace it for free. I didn't touch the connectors.
I knew somebody would ask me (y):)

Local time
10:14 PM
Reaction score
Other than people who follow the car industry, no one knows that Jag & Land Rover are the same company,

Oh well, RIP Land Rover. Long live INEOS.

that's what makes it so funny. the Land Rover brand would be great as a stand alone. if managed properly it could be the industry leader as well. lets face it jag as a brand has seen it's better days. ineos should buy the Land Rover brand.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
OK then :ROFLMAO: the rear plastic piece of the infotainment screen (the center console)
If there is a problem with the plastic piece (and there isn't) I agree that Ineos won't replace it for free. I didn't touch the connectors.
You need to tighten that LHS bolt up a bit.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ahhh, that’s really useful thanks Jean. Was it hard to pop off?

Looks like there is plenty of space in there so power leads could be run from there to the now found electrical connections in the footwells and some USB ports put in the back of the screen backing to power phones, nav screens, HUD, ipads, dash cams etc. nice.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Xlent thanks, and whilst looking around there... if you ever come across a good hidden location to mount a remote UHF radio and brake controller that would be fantastic. 😁 I'm looking at the GME XRS UHF and Redarc Tow Pro controller.

Reactions: Max

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Gods Must Be Crazy.
Remember Coca Cola and Land Rover were the icons of the movie and the world. And still are.

Coca Cola has changed things over the years but doesn't change much...Diet Coke...Coke Zero...but the number one drink[stock standard cola] is still Coca Cola...at one stage in Australia it just said Coke but has gone back to the original logo.
With food and drink, if you change the packaging radically, the perception is the product has changed also[to some] and people will tell you it tastes different.

Coca Cola change with subtle moves now, to freshen the pack almost subliminally, you might say there's something different but it doesn't change your taste buds[hopefully].

It is not hard to understand where our brains traveled when we saw the new Defender...I have attached the new JLR logo:ROFLMAO:

Land Rover is what I have admired all of my life...series 1,2 and 3. BMW has a series. Peugeot has a series. Toyota borrowed the Land Rover concept for their number one product, Land Cruiser which has become a brand in itself. Royal Enfield motorbikes are owned and built in India and through very little change are still Royal Enfields...INEOS tried to keep the Defender series alive.

It will be interesting to see how INEOS deals with brand and products...it is a huge company, unlike most automotive companies. It being so diverse you wonder if the Grenadier will become the auto flagship with variants or the brand itself...I admire JR and his company and tell people I am going to own an INEOS motor car called Grenadier..once they are out there that will change and the brand begins...I can't wait until I can say I own a Grenadier...soon I hope...happy motoring;)

Attachments

• JLR.jpg
    JLR.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are they changing their website too? Defender.com is for boats.

PT70

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:14 PM
Reaction score
While I 100% agree with @DaBull (and am very pleased you have had this experience), I have to say I'm sad to read this news and I think it's an error on Land Ro-- er, JLR's part.

There's a human-centric heritage in Land Rovers that is special. For huge swaths of the world, the Land Rover was the first automobile that people saw. Grandparents tell stories of them to their children, and there becomes a recognition and heritage that goes along with that. The reality is that most people who buy a modern 4x4 are absolutely NOT using it for it's purpose - most Jeeps never leave the pavement -- but there is something undeniably attractive about the idea I'm talking about; a lot of people drive a Land Rover or a Jeep because they are in love with the idea of what those things are.

JLR, with this move, has basically said "We no longer want to be associated with that idea". It might as well be totally different car company, in my opinion. Their products are great - and as DaBull said, the Defender is a phenomenally good car for a whole host of reasons -- but the "JLR Defender", with this move, is renouncing it's claim to the mantle or heritage of being the successor of the original Land Rover that popped out of the jungle into the village, often to the excitement and amazement of the locals. That Land Rover would be quite a splash, as would the sharing of candy, medicine, and mosquito nets that often came with them; that special day was the stuff of intergenerational stories, and every Land Rover had a bit of that soul with it.

Over time, the brand then becomes a symbol -- when you see those white Land Rovers with the dust clouds behind them, you know they were going to do something important in our world; people were going to be helped. Like Superman's "S" or the Syrian 'White Helmets' or the Red Cross -- the symbol means something to people. And folks like me are, at least in part, attracted to the brand because of that symbolism. Lots of cars can do what a Land Rover can do, but not many cars bring that symbolism with them while they do it.

At the same time, symbols mean different things to different people, and I won't get political but I am aware that there are likely some ill feelings towards the Land Rover that are directly contrary to the "fantasy" version I've presented above -- the arrival of the Land Rover from the jungle might also mean colonialism, cultural erasure, or resource exploitation, or other negative things for some people. Maybe JLR has more data on that then I do, which fully supports this divorce from the symbol. Again I don't want to get into a debate on the merits of this perspective other than to acknowledge some folks have it, so maybe it's not all bad that this change is happening for some folks.

But the way I think of it is this: if I pretend that every vehicle in the current JLR lineup had an Acura badge on the front, or a Volvo badge on it -- the vehicle is in every way the exact same, but offered from a different manufacturer -- it changes the way I feel about it and, for totally emotional reasons, it does change the desirability of the rig for me. I like the idea that I could be in my Defender and not get automatically shot at by an angry local, because that local knows that folks who arrive in Defenders are usually the helpers. Folks who arrive in an Acura or a Volvo - well, it's just different. They aren't automatically the helpers, and losing that is a shame.

On the other hand, with Ineos aiming at that market and supporting groups like the Halo trust, combined with the practical silhouette that definitely is heavily inspired by the Land Rover, perhaps a new truck will soon be seen as being driven by helpers. That's a good thing -- because helpers bring hope, and I think the world always needs a bit of that.
Your comment on helpers reminded me of a conversation I had with an experienced Land Rover Defender driver when I first got my mine. He advised me to get a decent first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and basic recovery equipment and know how to use it. Unlike some countries, it is not a requirement in New Zealand
to carry a fire extinguisher or first aid kit in your car. He believed that it was a duty of all Defender drivers, and generally expected by other road users, for us to carry such gear.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It is not hard to understand where our brains traveled when we saw the new Defender...I have attached the new JLR logo:ROFLMAO:

Ah, now it makes sense. JLR are joining a select group of top shelf, quality motoring companies using simple 3-letter branding...

BMW um...
LDV
GWM
NSU
GAZ

tnkatoy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:14 AM
Reaction score
Coca Cola has changed things over the years but doesn't change much...Diet Coke...Coke Zero...but the number one drink[stock standard cola] is still Coca Cola...at one stage in Australia it just said Coke but has gone back to the original logo.
With food and drink, if you change the packaging radically, the perception is the product has changed also[to some] and people will tell you it tastes different.

Don't forget, in 1985 Coca Cola did change it's recipe, which resulted in such an enormous backlash that there was a complete reversal a few months later.

To this day it's considered one of the biggest faux pas in marketing history, an example of where the product is so successful that it largely defines not only the industry, but the generations of consumers who identify with it. That's when the manufacturer merely becomes the custodian of that legacy, responsible for keeping it current and valid in today's market, without changing the essence of what consumers identify with.

For a large part of the world, Land Rover Defender was one of those products, all Land Rover needed to do was update it to keep it relevant today (like Mercedes did with G wagon). What they did was change the recipe so much the product could no longer be identified as belonging to the market it largely defined. Toyota and Jeep would have been rubbing their hands together, if not for Ineos.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Don't suppose you got a close up of the writing/symbols on this sticker?

IMG_20230517_060221.jpg

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Xlent thanks, and whilst looking around there... if you ever come across a good hidden location to mount a remote UHF radio and brake controller that would be fantastic. 😁 I'm looking at the GME XRS UHF and Redarc Tow Pro controller.
Exactly the same for me

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think this is an attempt to negate the backlash they’ve gotten since turning the Land Rover name into a lifestyle brand. I applaud the decision because, while they will no doubt still continue to use the off-road heritage of the model names as a marketing strategy, it is at least more clear now that this is a different company with different objectives.

IGL

GG #2697
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
I read in a German car magazine (AMS #11 May4, 2023) the following:
[ Jaguar Land Rover will Land Rover nicht mehr als Markenname für die Modelle verwenden ]
rough translation [ Jaguar Land Rover to stop using Land Rover as brand name for models ]

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Apparently the trucks themselves will continue have the traditional elliptical Land Rover. The JLR stuff will become the official logo for corporate stuff but thankfully LR hasn’t totally abandoned its history.

Back
Top Bottom