The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hannibal roofrack

Local time
8:33 PM
Reaction score
I had a full length heavy duty steel basket rack from ARB on my 1988 FJ62 land cruiser. Thing was bullet proof. All the racks available now for my Grenadier are flat platform. I guess it is for a roof top tent. But in my opinion, the duffels, boxes and gear I throw on top need a basket rail. So I'm hoping someone will make a 3/4 length basket rail roof rack. As yet no one i can find in the US makes one. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_20170822_070133.JPG
    IMG_20170822_070133.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
I had a full length heavy duty steel basket rack from ARB on my 1988 FJ62 land cruiser. Thing was bullet proof. All the racks available now for my Grenadier are flat platform. I guess it is for a roof top tent. But in my opinion, the duffels, boxes and gear I throw on top need a basket rail. So I'm hoping someone will make a 3/4 length basket rail roof rack. As yet no one i can find in the US makes one. If anyone knows of one please let me know.
Rhinorack RMCB02 "basket" on top of the Rhinorack Ineos roof bars might go some way to providing the utility you need...

Local time
11:33 PM
Reaction score
Ah yes. The golden age when Hannibal and African Outback were go to products, built like welded up tanks. Today it is laser cut erector sets designed for efficient product shipping. IKEA Overland.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hannibal offer a bolt on second rail to create the basket.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was actually on the Safety Devices website yesterday looking for a basket-style roof rack. I’m sure somebody will build something similar soon.

Slbx2

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:33 PM
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll check it out.
I have a question/issue and any help would be appreciated. So my 2024 Grenadier has the “Rhino Rack” cross bars and I purchased and rhino rack basket, see pics. However, the mount doesn’t work to attach the basket to the cross bars. I reached out to Rhino directly and they advised they can’t help as these cross bars are not sold to the public and specifically made for the Grenadier so would have to go thru the dealership, which I have tried to do and waiting on a response, but not holding my breath. No one could advise on a bigger universal bracket to make it work either. Any ideas? Thanks to anyone readying and trying to help..,,,

Attachments

• IMG_8500.png
    IMG_8500.png
    629.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8501.png
    IMG_8501.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Local time
Reaction score
I have a question/issue and any help would be appreciated. So my 2024 Grenadier has the “Rhino Rack” cross bars and I purchased and rhino rack basket, see pics. However, the mount doesn’t work to attach the basket to the cross bars. I reached out to Rhino directly and they advised they can’t help as these cross bars are not sold to the public and specifically made for the Grenadier so would have to go thru the dealership, which I have tried to do and waiting on a response, but not holding my breath. No one could advise on a bigger universal bracket to make it work either. Any ideas? Thanks to anyone readying and trying to help..,,,
have you tried Leitner roof top tent brackets?

Local time
Reaction score
I ended up getting the 3/4 length rack from Frontrunner. I'm very happy with it. They offer a way to build on expedition rails for the 3/4 length but it's not stock and it was a bit too costly for me for now.

Slbx2

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
have you tried Leitner roof top tent brackets?
No but will show my shop guy this bracket and see what he says. I use a shop that does all the accessories installs on any of my vehicles. He tought about just fabricating a bracket, but told him I wanted to look for one made for this scenario first. When I checked out that bracket from Leitner there cross bars look different than the ones I have. Wonder if my cross bars are the issue? Are these the normal ones for the Grenadier from the dealer?

Attachments

• 6D63640D-7A5B-4FE1-9090-D1E5DE6596B1_1_100_o.jpeg
    6D63640D-7A5B-4FE1-9090-D1E5DE6596B1_1_100_o.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 04F3C491-028A-4EE2-A61B-582E3B08188A_1_100_o.jpeg
    04F3C491-028A-4EE2-A61B-582E3B08188A_1_100_o.jpeg
    396.4 KB · Views: 19

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No but will show my shop guy this bracket and see what he says. I use a shop that does all the accessories installs on any of my vehicles. He tought about just fabricating a bracket, but told him I wanted to look for one made for this scenario first. When I checked out that bracket from Leitner there cross bars look different than the ones I have. Wonder if my cross bars are the issue? Are these the normal ones for the Grenadier from the dealer?
I wouldn't be using the gutters to support a roof rack.
Possibly the worst part of the Grenadier.
Most of the good designs are using the mounts the bars on the side use.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They are a wider gutter that any 4x4 I've seen. However with correct fitment and distribution they do not flex. I'm concerned with all these bar mount ones, (which I do love and look better) that with extra weight the deflection in brackets create a water ingress area. Also no company has shown any testing for these racks. Atleast the gutter is supported by ineos with their racks and would assume any problems could assist. It's warranted by them.
The best bar mount in my opinion is the Leitner due to the complete brack replacement and the bracket being billet. Just a shame the price and again I want some testing results.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The roof bars pictured are indeed the "bespoke" Rhino Rack offering manufactured for the Grenadier. (I bought 2 pr instead of the roof rack -half the cost and half the weight). The bars are the Rhino-Rack "Reconn -Pro" but at 1670mm in length are specific to the Grenadier.
There are two straightforward methods at least to attach the basket to the bars.
The first is to attach the basket rails directly to the roof bars (depending on their width...the photo isn't all that clear) *preferably smooth dome head hex drive or torx head bolts (M6 or M8)(smooth so they won't snag what's being carried) attach them to M6 or M8 channel nuts in the slots in the bar. The length of the bolts is critical: You have about 11mm depth inside the slot so work backwards taking account of the thickness of the roof bar extrusion (3mm) plus the thickness of the basket floor rails and a large washer under the dome head to spread the load...

The second method for where the rails are narrow (e.g. 3.5mm coated steel mesh) is to use DIY saddle brackets across the basket rails and attach with dome bolts and channel nuts to the roof bar as explained above.

I used the second method to mount a generic "Aldi" (4'x 3') steel basket to my roof bars as and when required rather than as a permanent fixture. When I remove the basket, I don't remove the bolts from the brackets, but rather slacken them sufficiently so that they slide out of the roof bar slots with channel nuts attached... makes for easier re-install as well.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They are a wider gutter that any 4x4 I've seen. However with correct fitment and distribution they do not flex. I'm concerned with all these bar mount ones, (which I do love and look better) that with extra weight the deflection in brackets create a water ingress area. Also no company has shown any testing for these racks. Atleast the gutter is supported by ineos with their racks and would assume any problems could assist. It's warranted by them.
The best bar mount in my opinion is the Leitner due to the complete brack replacement and the bracket being billet. Just a shame the price and again I want some testing results.
My understanding was that in order to be sold, and installed, in Australia they have to be designed and tested to and meet Australian Design Rules.
I could be wrong but I recall something to that effect. I think Grenx posted that they had tested to ADR's.
There is also an issue with size, height, width and length restrictions so they are not classified as a modification.
I have the same concerns as you so am holding off for now.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I assumed the tie down bars were never designed to support the weight of a roof rack. They are there as a lashing point to stabilise a load on the roof so that the primary direction of the "moment" exerted by a rope or ratchet strap is generally upwards to preclude the load from moving. The design of some after-market racks appears to rely on the roof strength via the load points provided by the four longitudinal black plastic inserts and stabilised by the tie-down bars.
Removing the tie down bars however reveals an obvious "single point of failure". They appear to be of thin aluminium and their fasteners "minimum" size (to be polite).
The Rhino Rack roof bars and their attachment arrangements are by comparison, rock solid.

Slbx2

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The roof bars pictured are indeed the "bespoke" Rhino Rack offering manufactured for the Grenadier. (I bought 2 pr instead of the roof rack -half the cost and half the weight). The bars are the Rhino-Rack "Reconn -Pro" but at 1670mm in length are specific to the Grenadier.
There are two straightforward methods at least to attach the basket to the bars.
The first is to attach the basket rails directly to the roof bars (depending on their width...the photo isn't all that clear) *preferably smooth dome head hex drive or torx head bolts (M6 or M8)(smooth so they won't snag what's being carried) attach them to M6 or M8 channel nuts in the slots in the bar. The length of the bolts is critical: You have about 11mm depth inside the slot so work backwards taking account of the thickness of the roof bar extrusion (3mm) plus the thickness of the basket floor rails and a large washer under the dome head to spread the load...

The second method for where the rails are narrow (e.g. 3.5mm coated steel mesh) is to use DIY saddle brackets across the basket rails and attach with dome bolts and channel nuts to the roof bar as explained above.

I used the second method to mount a generic "Aldi" (4'x 3') steel basket to my roof bars as and when required rather than as a permanent fixture. When I remove the basket, I don't remove the bolts from the brackets, but rather slacken them sufficiently so that they slide out of the roof bar slots with channel nuts attached... makes for easier re-install as well.
Wow I wish I had your know

wow i wish i had your knowledge and diy skills, no bs!! I will show this post and your ideas to my shop guy and maybe he will be able to come up with this fix. Thanks for your time…..

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I assumed the tie down bars were never designed to support the weight of a roof rack. They are there as a lashing point to stabilise a load on the roof so that the primary direction of the "moment" exerted by a rope or ratchet strap is generally upwards to preclude the load from moving. The design of some after-market racks appears to rely on the roof strength via the load points provided by the four longitudinal black plastic inserts and stabilised by the tie-down bars.
Removing the tie down bars however reveals an obvious "single point of failure". They appear to be of thin aluminium and their fasteners "minimum" size (to be polite).
The Rhino Rack roof bars and their attachment arrangements are by comparison, rock solid.
The good supports use the bolt holes that those bars are bolted into.
This is straight into the main structure of the vehicle.
I agree those aluminium bars are not meant to support a vertical load

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As mentioned previously by @DenisM, the RR cross-bars are the Reconn Deck Bars, with a custom length, towers and the rain gutter mounting plates. In terms of channel or T-bolt mounts, if it works on the RR RDB, it works on your Grenadier. For a cage, though, you need to check the width. I tried to like them, but switched to Leitner HD load bars. Lower profile, doesn’t touch the gutter rail, less wind noise, rock solid bar and mounts, although the mounting points are fixed so less flexibility there. On the other hand, integrates with the Leitner Sidekick MOLLE panels. Leitner uses stops rather than a cage.

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Never seen an overloaded LR gutter fail in the past few decades, and the Grenadier is built better. In fact, the gutters only flex at the cutouts for the grab handles (lashing bars). If using the Rhino Grenadier rack, the gutters are further supported by the rack side plates which attach to the gutter between the cutouts. No flex and rock solid.

The good supports use the bolt holes that those bars are bolted into.
This is straight into the main structure of the vehicle.
I agree those aluminium bars are not meant to support a vertical load
Personally I’ll never take this as an accepted use. Does it work, it does hold a rack. Do I want my roof loads and occasional off-road mishaps going into those little fasteners, no way.

Local time
Reaction score
I like the rigidity of the stock Ineos rack, but I purchased 2 sets of bars from the dealer, and used three. One over the B,C,and D pillar where everything is the strongest, and I plan setting the 4th up as a quick remove light bar/load bar, and not have it on for daily use. I decided I wanted the ease of removal.

Edit… and to see the white roof and use the roof glass I paid for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom