The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hannibal roofrack

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
Never seen an overloaded LR gutter fail in the past few decades, and the Grenadier is built better. In fact, the gutters only flex at the cutouts for the grab handles (lashing bars). If using the Rhino Grenadier rack, the gutters are further supported by the rack side plates which attach to the gutter between the cutouts. No flex and rock solid.

Personally I’ll never take this as an accepted use. Does it work, it does hold a rack. Do I want my roof loads and occasional off-road mishaps going into those little fasteners, no way.
There are 12 x 10 mm high tensile bolts on each side.
Some only use 6 of them but still I would be very comfortable with the strength.
The problem with the gutters is that the roof panel joins the side panel there and any flexing stresses that join.
It also causes water pooling and potential rust.
As you can see in this picture it doesn't look good to me.
1724968417683.png

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
Some only use 6 of them but still I would be very comfortable with the strength.
The problem with the gutters is that the roof panel joins the side panel there and any flexing stresses that join.
View attachment 7868507
The flexing in the picture is due to poor installation (IMHO) where the legs are set too far inwards. If the instructions are followed you first mount the legs on the bar at a suggested distance apart, lift the bar onto the roof and rest in the desired position, then loosen the bolts that attach the legs to the bar allowing the feet to settle properly in the gutter at the correct distance apart. You then finally tighten the bolts on the clamp and bar locking it in place avoiding this excessive gutter flex. My bars were incorrectly mounted by my dealer on delivery, they did not follow this procedure.

I use these bars and when installed correctly they are rock solid and do not cause any water pooling or detritus to collect in the gutter, but if they do cause any damage it will be covered under warranty. I am far more concerned about the water that pools in the centre of my roof (against the ridge above the B pillar) and between my passenger door seals than in my gutters.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:15 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7868507
True, but only with regard to that photo. Never put the clamps inside the lashing bar cutouts where there is less support for the gutter. Better yet, use the factory rack and you’ll see zero gutter flex. Other than improper setup, I don’t buy the weak gutter claims.

Back
Top Bottom