The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs Simpson Desert

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
Yes, lovely and green throughout!
For the non-Australian members, it might be worthwhile putting ‘Great Central Road, Australia” into google maps, on satellite photo background. It’ll give you a idea of the ‘normal’ colour of the landscape, and if you zoom out slowly, it’ll give you an idea of how far out there the globalgregors team is.
Only Mongolians can compete for how few people there are per million acres out there… good job!
Carpe Diem, and carpe pulvis while youre at it 😉

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For the non-Australian members, it might be worthwhile putting ‘Great Central Road, Australia” into google maps, on satellite photo background. It’ll give you a idea of the ‘normal’ colour of the landscape, and if you zoom out slowly, it’ll give you an idea of how far out there the globalgregors team is.
Only Mongolians can compete for how few people there are per million acres out there… good job!
Carpe Diem, and carpe pulvis while youre at it 😉
OK, good suggestion @James . Pictured below is the journey to date.

1700114205497.png

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Quick update having made WA along the Great Central Road…
  • Garmin Overlander doesn’t like being shaken about - powers off on corrugations. Anyone else had this issue?

Mine was fine but where is yours plugged in? I discovered that the cigarette plug in my centre cubby box was effectively disconnected. I have my own connection that I brought up from the footwell wires. And mine was fine on the corrugations

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine was fine but where is yours plugged in? I discovered that the cigarette plug in my centre cubby box was effectively disconnected. I have my own connection that I brought up from the footwell wires. And mine was fine on the corrugations
Mine is also hardwired from the (driver) footwell. It’s a bit of a bugger to troubleshoot, but it’s battery shows 100% despite an ‘Insufficient Power’ message.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@bigleonski this is on wide open WA gravel, not like track corrugations. 110kph and it smooths out somewhat.
I prefer the feel & handling at 28psi and more like 80-100, but was finding the tyres overheated.

Welcome other ideas as I’m enjoying experimenting with different combinations to see what works best.

I’m also thinking a little more tyre diameter would help, as I’m sure my old Wrangler on 33s smoothed similar situations out a bit better. In mind is the old Bourke-Wanaaring Road before it got tarmac. Pretty hard to get apples to apples as that was years ago.

Accordingly I emailed Eibach about longer springs…

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:29 AM
Reaction score
@bigleonski this is on wide open WA gravel, not like track corrugations. 110kph and it smooths out somewhat.
I prefer the feel & handling at 28psi and more like 80-100, but was finding the tyres overheated.

Welcome other ideas as I’m enjoying experimenting with different combinations to see what works best.

I’m also thinking a little more tyre diameter would help, as I’m sure my old Wrangler on 33s smoothed similar situations out a bit better. In mind is the old Bourke-Wanaaring Road before it got tarmac. Pretty hard to get apples to apples as that was years ago.
I've run 28 psi on 285s for 1000s of klms without issue, maybe having the tyre monitors is making you nervous, bit like a Rolls Royce I used to own, I asked my mechanic why it didn't have a temp gauge, he said sometimes too much information doesn't make comfortable driving 🤷

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've run 28 psi on 285s for 1000s of klms without issue, maybe having the tyre monitors is making you nervous, bit like a Rolls Royce I used to own, I asked my mechanic why it didn't have a temp gauge, he said sometimes too much information doesn't make comfortable driving 🤷
Quite possible - I’ve been chimping the Offroad screens, being such a data geek.
No flats though so there’s that...

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Accordingly I emailed Eibach about longer springs…
I’ve wondered whether the Eibach lift is just for that, lift, or additional load as well.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
Got to complete the trans-continent crossing first.
Planning to come back the easy way though (Nullabor/on road)!
Great looking trip and thanks for your updates...we did across the top-end of Oz in 1981 and then the bottom-end via the Nullabor home in an MQ Patrol 3ltr Diesel with hand throttle on.
Fortunately, we had the wind pushing us for so much of the trip and can remember reaching 140kph...no turbo and no downhill out there...8 months and 23,000klms of fun.

Hope you have the wind behind you and a safe trip :love: (y)

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have driven the Great Central Road from west to east, returning from my Kimberley/Pilbara trip. Also known as Australia’s longest shortcut (if you add in the Plenty Highway).

Take care at Warburton.

If time allows visit Kalbarri. I rested there before going to Geralton to start the Goldfleids Highway to Laverton and the start of Australia's longest shortcut.

Watching with great interest.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is also hardwired from the (driver) footwell. It’s a bit of a bugger to troubleshoot, but it’s battery shows 100% despite an ‘Insufficient Power’ message.
Hmmm, sounds like you might have a fault in yours. Mine only drops out when I forget to turn the overhead power switch on.

Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
Grenadier 1 : Simpson Desert 0

Arrived Mt Dare after a solid two days/one night crossing.

French Line was pretty hard going, temperatures were hot but not brutally so - mid to high 40s with a peak of 51C.

As mentioned elsewhere we would have been closing on GVM, with 80L of auxiliary fuel and 55L of water on board.

We ran the tyres at 16psi front and 18 rear. Pleased to report no punctures/failures.

Didn’t have to break out the shovel or maxtrax.

One particularly talc-y dune took three attempts but everything else the Grenadier marched up and over with minimal fuss.

Reported average speed 20kph, average fuel consumption in very challenging sand was 19.6L/100kms.

Aircon was running full blast (we are safari windows and no tinting) but cabin temperature was no issue.

The overnight stop:
View attachment 7832190
Love the Tripolina chairs! For a while Autohome in the US made them and I had one, sadly stolen! Just found a supplier in Argentina and ordered a couple. Where did you get yours?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
Loving this trip/blog..... be great if you could upload maybe the map/way that you went when finished.
Download the gps breadcrumbs from the pathfinder and you can upload them here. The forum supports Gpx files :)

Back
Top Bottom