The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs Simpson Desert

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:42 PM
Reaction score
Love the Tripolina chairs! For a while Autohome in the US made them and I had one, sadly stolen! Just found a supplier in Argentina and ordered a couple. Where did you get yours?
They’re sold as ‘Fenby’ chairs by an Australian company: Homecamp, although I think they’re sold out at present.
They also offer a (decidedly gucci) sheepskin cover for chilly nights around the fire.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hmmm, sounds like you might have a fault in yours. Mine only drops out when I forget to turn the overhead power switch on.
Have you got an Australian one, with the Hema maps etc? Can you recommend it?

Ours is an Americas version so the ‘Drive’ map is OSM and the ‘Explore’ map is the Garmin base map.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Have you got an Australian one, with the Hema maps etc? Can you recommend it?

Ours is an Americas version so the ‘Drive’ map is OSM and the ‘Explore’ map is the Garmin base map.
Yes have the Australian version with HEMA maps loaded. It’s outrageosly expensive but yes it’s good. The general navigation is very good and the offroad with HEMA can be a bit fiddly getting the right map but also good.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes have the Australian version with HEMA maps loaded. It’s outrageosly expensive but yes it’s good. The general navigation is very good and the offroad with HEMA can be a bit fiddly getting the right map but also good.
Thanks. I might have to go for it. I have the Hema maps app on the phone and while it’s fine if you’re in the passenger seat it’s just too small for the driver.

Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
They’re sold as ‘Fenby’ chairs by an Australian company: Homecamp, although I think they’re sold out at present.
They also offer a (decidedly gucci) sheepskin cover for chilly nights around the fire.
I'll skip the sheepskin! ;) IfI had not ordered the Argentine ones, I might have bought these! But shipping might be too much!

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IMG_1250.jpeg

White House Hotel, Leonora established 1890.

Somewhat of a coincidence given that for six months from 1898 the superintendent of the local mine was Herbert Hoover, then aged 23(!), who went on to become 31st President of the US and resident of a White House that maybe doesn’t feature a new skimpy each week.

Perhaps it depends on the president.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
View attachment 7832990

Somewhat of a coincidence given that for six months from 1898 the superintendent of the local mine was Herbert Hoover, then aged 23(!), who went on to become 31st President of the US and resident of a White House that maybe doesn’t feature a new skimpy each week.

Leonora was colourfully described by a mate who was the Sargent there...interesting town all the same

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7832990

Wow, I lived in Leonora for 2 years in the late 80’s. She was a wild town. The White House was my fav pub out of the 2. A punch up was guaranteed every weekend.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wow, I lived in Leonora for 2 years in the late 80’s. She was a wild town. The White House was my fav pub out of the 2. A punch up was guaranteed every weekend.
Their Facebook page suggests it remains somewhat lively.

Unfortunately we passed through in the morning when things were still closed up.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IMG_1320.jpeg

Oz crossing completed at Coral Bay… might’ve been slightly easier on the Gary Junction Road but we were dodging rain.
All previously reported faults (TPMS, Offroad Mode) have resolved themselves without intervention.

Approx 8,200kms total.

What a vehicle, tough as nails. Couldn’t be happier with it.

1700719455095.png

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7833543

Oz crossing completed at Coral Bay… might’ve been slightly easier on the Gary Junction Road but we were dodging rain.
All previously reported faults (TPMS, Offroad Mode) have resolved themselves without intervention.

Approx 8,200kms total.

congratulations, to you both, and to Ineos😉
continent crossed, in considerable heat, style and comfort.
looking forward to many similar journeys from all of us!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7833543

Approx 8,200kms total.

View attachment 7833544
Hi @globalgregors That's really great! And above all, I think it's remarkable that your vehicle also looks like the standard version. I take my hat off to you.
When I look at the martially upgraded off-road vehicles here in Germany, which drive through the streets with full equipment or try to outdo each other in specially designed driving areas. I can only smile.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When I look at the martially upgraded off-road vehicles here in Germany, which drive through the streets with full equipment or try to outdo each other in specially designed driving areas. I can only smile.

I doubt there are many (any…?) that could undertake such a trip, without modification, straight off the showroom floor?
I’m all for modding stuff but yeah, completely agree that it’s a different calculus when you can drive it out of the showroom and into a desert.

It’s a vehicle that has a lot of character to it, to go along with the capability. They’ve really done a super job.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
congratulations, to you both, and to Ineos😉
continent crossed, in considerable heat, style and comfort.
looking forward to many similar journeys from all of us!
Thanks @James , exactly!

I’m hoping that this will be a community where the long range wanderers among us can finally find a home (that doesn’t require a Troopy). :)

IGL

GG #2697
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
Hey Jonathon and Hannah and Iggy, congrats, looks so good and it's fun to read your reports. I look forward to more reports from the return journey. :D Wish you an ongoing save and exciting trip.

EDIT: and Iggy 😃

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom